Spring musings

Gill-T

I think the smelt are loving the mud plume. I think you will see an uptick in smelt. I think you will see a great looking class of two year old kings that have been able to feed up all winter on YOY. Surface temps that I believe are recorded 30’ down are showing 39 degrees offshore.  Kings actively feeding all winter might balance out any gains in alewife stocks. 

15 hours ago, Gill-T said:

I think the smelt are loving the mud plume. I think you will see an uptick in smelt. I think you will see a great looking class of two year old kings that have been able to feed up all winter on YOY. Surface temps that I believe are recorded 30’ down are showing 39 degrees offshore.  Kings actively feeding all winter might balance out any gains in alewife stocks. 

Agreed. 2 yr old Kings will dominate and be healthy. I had a 10lb returning “Jack” from last Sept aged by DEC because I was suspicious by it build that it was only a 1.5 yr old. Sure enough it came back at 1.5 yrs old!

As for Kings feasting on that big alewife year class- lets hope so. It will even out the age structure and give this years alewife crop a shot at better survival.

If not for King predation on alewife, this biomass would be a mess.

2 hours ago, Capt Vince Pierleoni said:

2012 was amazing. Not only the non winter but the 2 yr old yr class was the result of the largest wild hatch of Chinook the Lake has seen. 2018 was also very good due to strong survival of the 2yr old age class.

2012 and 2018 were my two best seasons on Lake Ontario.  Big fish and lots of them!  

We will never see large kings again until the DEC goes back to the old days & takes eggs from the largest. kings that come up the river to spawn & we get new genes from the pacific coast our kings are compromised

On 2/16/2023 at 9:58 AM, Steve.e said:

I think a lot of Robins never left. I've been seeing them all winter long. We're going to get nailed probably sooner or later.

There are always some Robins that stay around all winter and don't head for Florida. When they do come back though they are usually in large numbers when they return.

10 hours ago, Trouthunter said:

We will never see large kings again until the DEC goes back to the old days & takes eggs from the largest. kings that come up the river to spawn & we get new genes from the pacific coast our kings are compromised

We went 20 years without 30 lb kings on lake michigan.  You have 1 problem and it is too many fish. When I was at the niagara bar last spring for 8 days during the LOC derby we landed 296 salmon and trout. In 2012 on lake michigan we had fishing similar to that all summer. Small fish couldn't catch a king over 20 lbs all summer. Then the dnr cut the stocks. And within 6 years 30lbers where common along with a great lake record king.