Spring musings

Gill-T

3 hours ago, jerryriggin said:

We went 20 years without 30 lb kings on lake michigan.  You have 1 problem and it is too many fish. When I was at the niagara bar last spring for 8 days during the LOC derby we landed 296 salmon and trout. In 2012 on lake michigan we had fishing similar to that all summer. Small fish couldn't catch a king over 20 lbs all summer. Then the dnr cut the stocks. And within 6 years 30lbers were common along with a great lake record king.

It is not as simple as you make it out to be. During the spring derby, the predators are super concentrated in Niagara County. If you polled the rest of the lake at that time you might hear that there are no fish in the lake. Compare Lake Michigan stocking figures to Lake Ontario. Lake Michigan has always outpaced Ontario in stocked salmon and trout. 

Edited by Gill-T

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 7:36 AM, chasdc1 said:

There was an incredible number of Canada goose flocks around Montezuma last week. Saw them on the way to Syracuse and back.

Massive  numbers!

Anybody seen snows?

Big group of snows in Hamlin by the lake.  They have been around for a couple of weeks.  

3 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Big group of snows in Hamlin by the lake.  They have been around for a couple of weeks.  

A buddy and his group were able to drop 66 of those white devils out Hamlin way after chasing them around for 4 days

34 minutes ago, Tomb said:

I live on Hamlin Center and the size of the flocks on our road and along 19 is pretty amazing..   Have lived here for 15 years and never saw flocks so big!!

There was a raft of them off Wautoma last weekend of approx 4000 birds.  Cool to see!

• Like 1

There was a gigantic raft of snows on the north end of Seneca Lake last year about this time of year.

A serious bird guy I know said the flock numbered over 5,000!

Incredible sight-- I first thought it was a huge ice flow. 

16 hours ago, HB2 said:

Back at the beginning of Feb , I was afraid this might happen . 

yep. As much as birds came back early, I noticed the hybernators were absent. I tried going squirrel hunting the final weekend and never saw any. 

On 2/19/2023 at 7:20 AM, Sk8man said:

There are always some Robins that stay around all winter and don't head for Florida. When they do come back though they are usually in large numbers when they return.

I have them come to feed on the Hawthorne berries in January and February