Planer mast or pulleys on t top

Just decided to switch from in lines to otter boats. Question is which method should I use. Mount the pulleys and reels on my t top frame or install the mast up on the bow. Let’s hear which and why. Thanks and tight lines

Edited by steelydan
Solved

I have a hardtop with the tubing type frame and mounted a pair of big jon pulleys to the front corners of the top and mounted the reels on the back section of the frame. they work great. you can stay in the boat when you deploy and retrieve them. i also have double fin otter boats, that pull hard and the top frame doesn't budge an inch.  good luck!

I always used to think that the farther forward and the higher would be the best thing to do. (masts). The bad part is that when something goes wrong, the lines may end up under your boat with all the trouble that it may cause. I do not see anything wrong with the pulleys on the top. I made one small edition to the tow lines. Drlfc's son calls it an "Old Man"s Rope". This is a rope with a bayonet hook that goes around the tow line and then to the side of the boat where it is tied up roughly at the back of the front seats, or just in front of them, It makes it a lot easier to pull the lines in instead of trying to get them with a pole hook. Wherever you make your  connection, front or center, make sure that the tow line does not go on or under your dipsy rods.  I bet there are a few sad stories about rods that got caught and went into the lake. I myself got crazy lucky. when one of my rods got pulled out. It went under and in pure frustration I jerked up my downrigger rod and miraculously the line caught the dipsy rod and I could bring it back on the boat. I have used lanyards on the dipsy rods ever since.

Edited by rolmops

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 3:22 PM, CK3080 said:

Another vote for pulleys and reels on each side, I think it makes attaching clips easier than having a huge long tow line. I went with cisco. Pic showing pulling and reel location 

5A5AAF3B-0731-40D9-80EE-596999C27E07.jpeg

Love the Atlantic towers hardtop, had the same one with a hardtop instead of soft.

• 2 weeks later...

I got single masts mounted just behind my soft top and still use pulleys towards the front of the boat to keep the tow lines out of the other rods with my otter boats. If I had a hardtop I would go with pulleys as far forward and high as possible and cranks where they are convenient to get to.

Edited by spoonfed-1

On 3/19/2023 at 1:34 PM, greenhornet73 said:

Looks nice, I think you will like them there.  I did the same thing but the only problem I have with mine is that I cannot get them to lock down tight enough so they shift on the tubing as I reel the boards in.

You could try wrapping rubber insulating tape around the tubing then clamp your reel over that.  That’s what I did on mine and it seemed to help. 

Reels on Frame and pulley as far forward as you can get it. I originally had a post on the bow that my lines ran too but it was too much and not needed as my board pull great off the side. Use rubber from a bicycle tube or similar between the clamp and the post and it will be rock solid 

C1CBF014-680F-4BB6-AC59-7D159F8C4564.jpeg

1 hour ago, bout time said:

Reels on Frame and pulley as far forward as you can get it. I originally had a post on the bow that my lines ran too but it was too much and not needed as my board pull great off the side. Use rubber from a bicycle tube or similar between the clamp and the post and it will be rock solid 

C1CBF014-680F-4BB6-AC59-7D159F8C4564.jpeg

I will have to try that this season with a thinner rubber lining.  I tried using a thicker rubber and electrical tape and neither held firmly.