Dipsey Divers

My first choice is black and my 2nd choice is black . Having said that I just realized my small divers on the browns rods are red (port) and green ( starboard). I’m sure there are plenty of theories out there but imho I’m not sure it’s a game breaker 

11 hours ago, eyedoctor said:

What color dipseys should  I buy? Is there a preference of color say if your fishing lakers then rainbows.

for walleye fishing on Erie, I used metallic green with green harnesses and metallic purple with purple harnesses, and both caught fish. but I went all black and never even noticed any difference in my catch rate.

then I switched to black lite bite slide divers and the bite changed a lot but our hookups were much better. and our lures spent more time fishing as we didn't drag small fish around as much and we didn't have to reel in to check for small fish. we used them like dipsy's and just used a 6' or 7' leader. then we set the lite bite adjustment all the way off and even very small white perch would trip them most of the time.

1 minute ago, GAMBLER said:

The blue glow peanuts were the bomb.....  Yakima discontinued the best one the had!  

Of course they did, like all tackle. The good stuff disappears 

19 hours ago, eyedoctor said:

What color dipseys should  I buy? Is there a preference of color say if your fishing lakers then rainbows.

All depends on what the fish want that day. Black, clear and light green is a good place to start.

10 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Black or clear and no snubbers are needed as long as you use QUALITY leader material and swivels.  

What is your definition of a QUALITY leader?  Another ? for all is when a flasher/fly is trailing, sometimes the leader is spinning up on itself.  Does not seem to be an issue in the water, but up on the boat it gets all kinked up.  I'm thinking the swivels at the Dipsey and the flasher are out of sync and twisting in opposite directions..... thoughts?

On 3/14/2023 at 8:32 PM, Reel Doc said:

What is your definition of a QUALITY leader?  Another ? for all is when a flasher/fly is trailing, sometimes the leader is spinning up on itself.  Does not seem to be an issue in the water, but up on the boat it gets all kinked up.  I'm thinking the swivels at the Dipsey and the flasher are out of sync and twisting in opposite directions..... thoughts?

Quality leader = Seaguar Blue label.  Expensive but strong and very abrasion resistant.  How are you storing your flies when not in use?

48 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

Quality leader = Seaguar Blue label.  Expensive but strong and very abrasion resistant.  How are you storing your flies when not in use?

30lb test or higher?  Been using 30lb mono for mine with no snubbers and no problems with breaks, just that kinking up after some use.  Often leave the last flies in use on the flasher, wrap the line around the flasher and put in the boat cabin so quick to grab for the next trip

22 hours ago, Reel Doc said:

30lb test or higher?  Been using 30lb mono for mine with no snubbers and no problems with breaks, just that kinking up after some use.  Often leave the last flies in use on the flasher, wrap the line around the flasher and put in the boat cabin so quick to grab for the next trip

I’ve seen this leader twist on 8” flashers with flies before but only here and there - not sure what causes it .