Fuel system condition on 1985 Sea Nymph 195 restoration

lrg355

Pulled out the gas tank today. Fuel fill hose is completely disintegrated. Fuel fill nozzle also in poor shape. Broke off trying to remove hose. Maybe ethanol use helped disintegration. Obvious where all particulate matter in the gas tank came from.  Fill on this boat like others in the late 80's is in the transom splashwell. Inside of the hose is as bad as the outside.

Also, gas tank well was lined with a paper that looked like the brown reinforced packaging tape. Any ideas what this is and where it may be available?

A shame Sea Nymph didnt have the sense to use all stainless clamps. Screws on the clamps were steel and couldn't be removed.  Had to cut off.20230314_162635.thumb.jpg.f0c24e7c9dfd24e7a7e5f70f19800795.jpg

20230314_163408.jpg

20230314_163355.jpg

20230314_163346.jpg

20230314_163335.jpg

20230314_162211.jpg

20230314_162207.jpg

20230314_162156.jpg

20230314_155538.jpg

• Like 1

Never heard of any "paper" used in a tank.  Suspect more than likely a chemical residue/sludge that's hardened up over time.  Ethanol gas will definitely do exactly that to old rubber hoses.  I had a gas line leak under my floor boards years ago when that happened to fuel line.  I replaced everything with ethanol resistant rubber & rerouted line above floor boards.  

Also, if you have an older engine, check all of its fuel lines and o-rings. (especially any "automatic choke solenoids.")

I am putting on a new 23 Yamaha VF90 so I want to get the fuel system in perfect order.  All hoses and fittings will be new.  As for the paper under the tank, it had the consistency of the brown sealing tape but was in sheet form.  Had what appeared to be fiberglass reinforcing thread running the total width. I was just wondering what its specific purpose was other than just possible cushioning to protect the tank from rivet heads which can make contact.

I would have guessed a thin gasket material or rubber, but not sure why they put it in there.  Spacer to assure a tight fit? Reduce vibration?    I'd ask on I-boats forum.  (iboats.com)  They have a lot of guys that do restorations. 

It isn't thick enough to provide any cushioning.  I am starting to consider it may be a conductive sheet to reduce static around the fuel tank.  Except for the 8 inch section I pulled up, I may let it dry out and keep it there. 

I've been googling.  Here's what I found:  Could be VCI paper.  Chemically treated paer that helps prevent corrosion due to moisture.  Used to protect all metals & metal parts, especially in shipping & storage.  Found this at www.zerust.com. 

2 hours ago, lrg355 said:

Sounds just like the poly coated kraft paper reinforced VCI to prevent corrosion.  Makes sense, you learn something everyday.  Now to find some!

Try an industrial supply house such as grainger.com or mcmaster.com

My sea nymph gls had a tank that leaked all corroded on the bottom same thing had paper like material

under the tank took mine out not repairable now have a six gallon plastic tank

49 minutes ago, Rusty said:

My sea nymph gls had a tank that leaked all corroded on the bottom same thing had paper like material

under the tank took mine out not repairable now have a six gallon plastic tank

Was the origional tank polyethylene or aluminum?  My 93 GLS175 has an alum tank.

If it was me putting a new engine on this boat I would put a new clean tank in it with an in line water fuel filter. If the entire system is new and you change that fuel filter each year you will have clean sailing for 20+ years. Also do not put ethanol gas in it.

Tank is in excellent shape, it is polyethylene with no damage.  The rest of the fuel system is a mess.  Everything but the tank will be replaced and a filter/water separator will be installed. The tank will be thoroughly degreased, dried and reused.  

The corrosion control training in the USAF taught us that putting two dissimilar metal in direct contact will cause galvanic corrosion.  So stainless steel tank in aluminum boat without proper isolation would invite big corrosion problems.  Also, if you leave the boat in the water and your electrical ground system is not up to ABYC code you will increase the corrosion issues.  

I own a 1992 SeaRay 200OV that I bought brand new.  Within a year of purchase I received a recall notice that required the OEM gas tank and all the fuel lines to be replaced.  Turns out the marine industry finally had enough data on the destructive effect of ethanol gas on certain plastics and rubber compounds that were all common components in boat fuel systems.   

Long story short…look for an ABYC approved gas tank and fuel lines designed to co-exist with ethanol gas.

2 hours ago, lrg355 said:

Tank is in excellent shape, it is polyethylene with no damage.  The rest of the fuel system is a mess.  Everything but the tank will be replaced and a filter/water separator will be installed. The tank will be thoroughly degreased, dried and reused.  

Keep in mind that polyethylene tanks have a 15-20 year expected life. I know what I would do.