Aluminum boat quality manufacturer?

Hi, looking at picking up a 16-17 foot boat, Lund rebel, alumacraft classic, crest liner fish hawk 1650. Haven’t boat in some time, previous Lund was 1982 and was a tank. All the research I find on web suggests the quality is poor on new boats. Being in Colorado I won’t have access prior for the most part. Any experience with the newer boats or suggestions of best quality theses day? Appreciate it.

This thread will open to all opinions.   In terms of national brands which means I am not talking about regional brands from the west coast and pacific north west, I start with Crestliner and Lund and then work my way from there.

The main differences would be the thickness of the aluminum and the purpose of the boat.

Pre 1985 aluminum boats often used a thicker aluminum and were often built like sloops with a heavy and wide bow section. This was because of the very popular starcraft aluminum boats.

As demand changed to lighter and faster boats the shape of the boat and the thickness of aluminum changed.

My 1984 Islander is heavy and built like a tank , but my 1989 Islander is more streamlined and supposedly much faster.

What is better, riveted or or welded? Lots of opinions about that.

I like the double plating on the bottom some of the lund models have previous boat was a sea nymph from the 80s and was thicker hull but the build allowed for a lot of flex  it lasted well but never felt as solid 

The Ranger VS1682SC Angler or Reatta are pretty nice boats in that under 17' size. They both have a multi-species style layout. They're very wide and roomy and are wood-free construction. They're both available as a dual console walk-through if you are looking for more of a trolling style layout.

In a west coast style boat under 17', Hewescraft made a 160 Sportsman for a number of years up until recently. It's not as roomy as some other boats, but the heavy gauge construction and trolling-friendly cockpit layout is appealing to many people.

Edited by John E Powell

I would go with an eighteen or nineteen footer because the gunnels are higher. The gunnels reach above your knees. The sixteen and seventeen footers have gunnels that reach below the knees and have more people fall over board when they have to "lean" forward a bit.

1 hour ago, rolmops said:

I would go with an eighteen or nineteen footer because the gunnels are higher. The gunnels reach above your knees. The sixteen and seventeen footers have gunnels that reach below the knees and have more people fall over board when they have to "lean" forward a bit.

thanks, fished forever on a 15 footer and use a kayak now, so I don’t need to go that big. Plus I wan it to fit in the garage.

7 hours ago, LongLine said:

Anyone know anything about Polar Kraft boats?  

My older brother had one years ago. Was a solid built boat, 16' initially ran it with a 9.9 for Hemlock. Switched over to a 40hp to get around the 1000 Islands quicker. Had nothing bad to say about it.

I have a 2000 Lund Tyee 1950.

Its a great boat, but it will go back to the factory later this summer for a new transom.

The wood inside the transom is rotted, and so are the aluminum panels that wrap it.

I fish salt water somewhat frequently (I'm in CT).

I STRONGLY suggest making sure that whatever you get, the filler inside the transom is COMPOSITE, not wood.

That's what mine will be after it comes home from Minnisota.

And, if I had to do it again, I'd probably go with a Hewescraft (they are made in Washington I believe).

They are all over the northwest (you don't see any fiberlass out there),

And are beautiful and rugged, I fished a charted on one and fell in love (it was probably 30' or so though).

But, my Lund does what I ask it to, so I'm not changing (to the tune of beaucoup dollars).

2 hours ago, rswanson330 said:

I have a 2000 Lund Tyee 1950.

Its a great boat, but it will go back to the factory later this summer for a new transom.

The wood inside the transom is rotted, and so are the aluminum panels that wrap it.

I fish salt water somewhat frequently (I'm in CT).

I STRONGLY suggest making sure that whatever you get, the filler inside the transom is COMPOSITE, not wood.

That's what mine will be after it comes home from Minnisota.

And, if I had to do it again, I'd probably go with a Hewescraft (they are made in Washington I believe).

They are all over the northwest (you don't see any fiberlass out there),

And are beautiful and rugged, I fished a charted on one and fell in love (it was probably 30' or so though).

But, my Lund does what I ask it to, so I'm not changing (to the tune of beaucoup dollars).

I have looked hard the 160 sportsman and my cousin has 21 footer. I also cast quite a bit and it is really set up for o trolling but I haven’t ruled it out, would have to go used as they stopped making this model.

I'm running a 17ft. Starcraft I purchased new in 1996. Ready for season #27 in a few weeks. Easy for me to handle alone trolling or casting from the bow. Scotty riggers, Raymarine auto pilot, Depth Raider, GPS, DSC radio, Furuno 620 sonar, bow mount electric with autopilot feature.... everything I could ever want or need in a small package..

boatandtrack.thumb.jpg.7b37736ae1eed0e82f56cfee25fbfa6e.jpgAog122013fishing004crop.thumb.jpg.f75d530be1745250b89aa849276519d6.jpgP061716_1208.thumb.jpg.e5ca892a9c449c7988930e1778dcafdd.jpgIMG_0463.thumb.JPG.83973e02fb0411cc4cf2ea563790cd06.JPG

• Like 1

I run a 2016 Lund Sport Angler, love the boat. Now the bad, sent it back last summer to get the transom replaced. Brought it to the dealer the first week of July, picked it up the first week of January. That's right seven months, wasn't all Lund's fault with the time, the dealer was to busy to re-rig my boat but seven months? Not sure I would buy Lund again. There are a few good Facebook pages concerning Lund. Lund transom group and Lund boat owners group. Read and enjoy, good luck with your purchase.

I bought a 18’ Lund Alaskan in 2007. It has been a great multipurpose boat and been used a great deal and still doesn’t leak a drop. I have heard of transom problems with some Lunds but are evidently backed by the company although turn around may be lengthy. They also offer lifetime guarantee on the floor for original owner.

My friend just purchased a lightly used Crestliner last year and it seems super sturdy and nearly bullet proof.

I believe either of these boats will certainly outlast their engines. Both great choices. 

Lund and Crestliner (both owned by Brunswick) at the top of most lists of national brands.  I have a 2021 Lund Pro Guide and have been very happy with it.  It’s my third Lund and all have been good performers.  Easy to sell when replacing.

Be careful keying on the word composite  construction. A composite is a combination of different materials. It does not mean wood-free necessarily. For example a fiberglass/ wood construction is a composite.  

7 hours ago, dry net said:

I run a 2016 Lund Sport Angler, love the boat. Now the bad, sent it back last summer to get the transom replaced. Brought it to the dealer the first week of July, picked it up the first week of January. That's right seven months, wasn't all Lund's fault with the time, the dealer was to busy to re-rig my boat but seven months? Not sure I would buy Lund again. There are a few good Facebook pages concerning Lund. Lund transom group and Lund boat owners group. Read and enjoy, good luck with your purchase.

I have read those forums and is why I asked. I might end up going Lund simply because it is the only dealership with close to decent reviews in my area.