Replacing treble hooks on mag spoons

Hey Guys,

I'm sure this question has been asked a hundred times already, but, I'm in the process of replacing the treble hooks on a bunch of my Moonshine and Dreamweaver magnum size spoons and was wondering what some of you guys with experience doing this would recommend. The existing trebles appear to be size 2/0 (or maybe 3/0) from the size chart I printed out but was wondering what sizes you would recommend, and if it would make sense to go with a 2X or 4X-strong treble, or would the extra weight affect the action of the spoon? I'm also not crazy about the durability of the existing split rings and am thinking of replacing them with some heavier stainless steel split rings. I would like to hear what your experiences might be. By the way, any of you guys who do this and haven't tried the Texas Tackle split ring pliers, I would highly recommend getting a pair, as I think they are by far the best dedicated split ring pliers I have ever used and they are reasonably priced.

Thanks.

Nick

If you stay with the same size hook the XX stuff shouldn't make any difference. Years ago I shifted to single 2/0 and 3/0 (for mags) Mustad Stainless Siwash salmon hooks 9510xxx and never looked back. They penetrate real well, don't rust, don't break or bend, and it is easier to release fish with out damage (using needle nose pliers) quickly. They have an open loop so replacing them on existing split rings is a breeze