Wire dipsy to braid knot

When I was using wire , I put a 3/4 oz egg sinker just above the snap that attached the dipsy to keep at least some weight on the line to  help with the curls. Worked great and did not seem to affect the dipsy action . 

Maybe I'm not being clear on what I'm trying to do. 

With my small boat I try to break the rods down for transport. With wire we all know kinks are one of the problems. If I add 15' or so of braid to the wire then the dipsy I can break the rods down and not have to worry about kinking or loose wire that want to twist. The braid would go from the wire to the diver. 

Would a small swivel that can come over the tip roller and though the eyes be best? Is there a braid to wire knot that works well so the swivel won't hang up when reeling in a fish? 

I used a small spro swivel between the wire and 40# mono when I set up a slide diver but that was with a twili tip.  I am not sure how a swivel would work with a roller tip? Maybe try an Albright knot

I know exactly what your doing... Braid is not the way to go. I use two or three rod lengths of #50 mono. I attach it with a small spro barrel swivel. 

No curly wire... I can run a little lighter leader if I'm running spoons ( the 50# momo has a little stretch). Plus the fleas don't like the 50#. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Missdemeanor said:

I know exactly what your doing... Braid is not the way to go. I use two or three rod lengths of #50 mono. I attach it with a small spro barrel swivel. 

No curly wire... I can run a little lighter leader if I'm running spoons ( the 50# momo has a little stretch). Plus the fleas don't like the 50#. 

This is definitely the answer. If you find it difficult to attach the wire to the swivel, an allbright knot and a drop of super glue works well.

• Like 1

Ive never had much luck using crimps .  Years ago we had a discussion on this board on wire knots. The knot I use is so simple you would think it wont hold but Ive never had it fail and I run wire dipseys alot.  This is a picture of wire tied to braid. Its a 50lb test spro swivel.  The wire has a half hitch to the swivel and then a square knot. The braid is what ever knot you want to use. This wire knot can be used for attaching wire directly to your snap swivel..

Im not a writer or picture taker....

splice.jpg

Don't you all get a little nervous adding another knot and create another line change?  When the wire curls start from rod break downs I figure it's a signal that it's time to cut back a few feet of wire and retie to the terminal swivel.

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2023 at 3:07 PM, tyler.woodard04 said:

I'm looking to add some heavy (65lb) braid to the end of my wire line so I can break the rods down for easier storage on my small boat and not kink the wire or let it get curly. Is there a recommended knot or termination to do this? 

I went to eBay and bought some micro barrel swivels small enough to work and then attached it with the haywire twist knot then attached my line with the improved clinch knot with about 4 extra twists to prevent it from slipping. I had braid backing that I attached the same then attached braid on top and used a fluro leader attached to the end of my braid with a double uni knot.

Improved Albright is what you need or it will slip. Look up KC-1 YouTube video on how to tie it. He is a Michigan captain featured on 333 tournament series. At least it used to be on there ….

KC-1 sportfishing videos for slide divers

Edited by Gill-T

On 3/19/2023 at 9:30 AM, tyler.woodard04 said:

Maybe I'm not being clear on what I'm trying to do. 

With my small boat I try to break the rods down for transport. With wire we all know kinks are one of the problems. If I add 15' or so of braid to the wire then the dipsy I can break the rods down and not have to worry about kinking or loose wire that want to twist. The braid would go from the wire to the diver. 

Would a small swivel that can come over the tip roller and though the eyes be best? Is there a braid to wire knot that works well so the swivel won't hang up when reeling in a fish? 

Braid does attract fleas, at least the 30 lb stuff does ... you won't be happy with that in the middle of summer. I don't have experience on using 65 lb ... I believe I read that if the braid diameter is big enough, it helps with fleas ... just don't recall at what size.

The other idea is to use 40lb mono ... fleas won't stick. Now, the issue will be line stretch, and elasticity, but perhaps this heavy gauge line and a short length of it to simply get around your storage requirements could be okay. You'll need to test it to see if it works.

Now the question you ask is about the knot ... for braid you could use an albright knot, for mono I'd think you'd need a barrel swivel ... and then you have to worry about your top line guide ... whether you don't damage it ... twillie tip would help a lot.

Anyhow, it's a good question ... it's not a simple solution, some trial and error required.

Edited by TyeeTanic

My set ups are wire -to a one foot section of 80lb braid -to 60’ of 30 lb mono -to a bead/barrel swivel to a leader to a Duolock snap. No knot failures to report but I do check them and change them when they look like they need changing. The wire to braid connection is an improved Albright Knot