Kicker motor recommendations

I am looking at kicker motors for my 18’ sea ray cc and like the 4 stroke 6 hp in terms of reduced weight on the transom but am not impressed with the noise and vibration level of all the models I have researched. The 8 hp seems to have the best reputation from what I’ve heard. I am trying to stay below a $2,000 budget and not many used 8 hp’s around so thinking a new 6 hp is my only option. What models are you guys using for trolling?

Think you will find many manufacturers use the same engine for different horsepower ratings in the small portable class.  I have an 8 horse Honda and it is same engine as 9.9 Honda just rated at lower rpm.  Suzuki uses same basic engine for 9.9 to 20 horse.  9.9 is probably most popular size in under 15hp so used your chance is probably best with 9.9.  You definitely want a 2 cylinder over a single plus many 8’s and 9.9’s have charging systems.

2 hours ago, mr 580 said:

Think you will find many manufacturers use the same engine for different horsepower ratings in the small portable class.  I have an 8 horse Honda and it is same engine as 9.9 Honda just rated at lower rpm.  Suzuki uses same basic engine for 9.9 to 20 horse.  9.9 is probably most popular size in under 15hp so used your chance is probably best with 9.9.  You definitely want a 2 cylinder over a single plus many 8’s and 9.9’s have charging systems.

Ditto. Tohatsu makes a 9.8 that is 90 lbs. (without any tilt/trim etc.) ansd it electric start with charging. outboards online is about the most reasonable pricing-wise.

Edited by Sk8man

I read Yamaha is bring back the T8 but can’t find any confirming information. The one benefit of the motors made to a kicker is the mounts are more sturdy for the increased stress of bigger water and trim/tilt is nice.

Edited by BRsnow

If noise is your issue, you should make sure that you pick a 2 cylinder and not a 1 cylinder. Mercury ,Nissan and Tohatsu are all made by the Tohatsu company. The Tohatsu is a bit cheaper because you do not pay for an expensive name printed on the side.

I like my 9.9 Tohatsu because it is quiet and light weight. But there are new Chinese lightweight outboards on the market . Some are 2 strokes. They have become popular in Australia and are trying to get into the market in the USA. They are cheaper.

As for Chinese products being of inferior quality, you should look around and you will see that a lot of the day to day things we all use are made in China.

Edited by rolmops

I have a 2006 Yamaha 8 high thrust with remote controls, Garmin TR Gold Autopilot and mounting bracket.  This is off a 240 Thompson I bought last October and am in the process of having the transom done and new power.  I DID NOT get to run the kicker but it does try to start.  I DID NOT try the autopilot but all parts are available, I simply removed these items from my boat.  If you are interested and close to Cape Vincent we can get together and test this equipment.  Price is $800.00 unless we find faulty items, then the price drops.  I was saving this for a Memorial Day sale with miscellaneous boating and fishing gear but if you are interested let me know.  text at 717-376-7595.