fireline too use or not too use

do any of you guys use this for walleye on oneida?they say it has better feel for the bite over mono or fluro.on the package it comes in it says to put on a mono backing is this necessary or do u put straight fireline on

They probably are saying to use mono for backing because it's cheaper to fillup the spool with cheap mono and have the more effective(and more expensive) line on the outside for casting. So you don't have to do it, but it would save some money.

Yes u must use a mono backer to keep the braid from slipping on the spool.

I go around 1/3 of the spool with a mono that is close to the same diameter wich helps with the joining knot. Then I use a uni to uni (double uni) Knot to link the 2 lines, some prefer a surgeons knot. Both can be found on this neat little site with illustrations.

http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

Then use the Palomar knot to tie lures on. This knot has the highest raiting for braids.

The braid does provide more sensitivity and no strech for better hook sets however it is more visible underwater. Good for crankbaits not so good for jigs. I use a 6-8lb mono or florocarbon when jigging for eyes as I belive most walleye guys do. However I am not the eye expert by any means so maybe someone can awnser that question better than I.

Good Luck

I'm a huge advocate of braided line.. but I hate knots! I prefer to put a single wrap of surgical tape around the spool to prevent slipping. I use a standard "arbor" knot to attach to the spool. I know the mono backing will save a few bucks, but for Oneida.. you'll probably be using fairly light gear that doesn't hold a ton of line anyways. For really clear water or trolling I add a section of floro "leader material", but generally, I tie directly to the braid. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

I use to use braid but got away from it and watched my hook ups increase. There is no stretch in braid. Walleye feel it. I like good ol mono with a lil stretch to it. 6lb no floro

I love it. Follow the good advice about mono or surgical tape to minimize slippage on the spool, but be careful to lay the initial layer on with consistency and evenness and as small an arbor knot as possible to avoid the line layering up unevenly or bulging on the spool - makes it a pain to cast (if this happens and I'm in a hurry, I bring a 3/4 oz Cleo and chuck it a mile to straighten out the line and put it back on the spool more evenly). I use it in Oneida all fall until the air temps go below freezing - the stuff (as well as braid) holds water and freezes up and makes a mess when you're wading in light chop - I go back to mono then. But I catch my share of eyes, and use 20 lb Fireline to a swivel and then 2-3 feet of 16-20 lb. Magnathin mono to my stick baits (nearly always a metallic Thunderstick jrs. or Yo-Zuri Pin's Minnows). A friend uses straight braid to a snap with similar success.

In fact, tonight I caught my first spring eye - 28 inches, probably 7-8 lbs using PowerPro (I am not very consistent with my set-ups I guess, just happened to have packed my Stradic tonight and it has P'Pro to swivel and then 2-3 feet of 12-16 lb magnathin). My buddy caught a 24 incher with my other rod which was set up with 14 lb Fireline Crystal to a swivel and then 2-3 feet of 12 lb magnathin. I was using a 5 1/2 inch stickbait, my buddy a thunderstick junior (3 and 1/2 inches??). Go figure. For stickbaits in low light, this set up works fine. I don't fish walleyes during daylight much, and rarely use jigs, so I would defer to those who do and who may suggest lighter or longer mono or flouro leaders in those conditions (especially in bright sun and clear water).

In the fall in Oneida I like the heavier mono leaders at night - with a loop knot right to the stickbaits - and it doesn't seem to affect the hook-up rate (when the eyes are plentiful that is). In fact, I think the heavier line keeps smaller lures up higher since smaller diameter leaders and line seems to bring my floaters down an extra 6-12 inches from the surface - even with a god-awful slow retrieve. And sometimes that makes all the difference.

Everyone has their preferred combination of rod, line, reel, lure and retrieve for eyes in different situations. I just tend to fish evenings and night time with stick baits and love the performance of Fireline and PowerPro. (also, if you go with the Fireline - I like to "wash" and "condition" new Fireline for 10 minutes before I actually fish - casting and retrieving line with a heavy spoon - until it gets softened up - because right out of the box, the heavier stuff tends to be stiff and can knot up - in fact, I have my favorite King salmon reel spooled up with 30 lb Fire line - after three seasons and dozens of kings on spoons, the line looks a little fuzzy, but it's still strong!!).

Hope this helps.

tc

Mike.. I know several guys who have switched back to mono like yourself. If I start having hook up problems I'll probably do the same.. but.. I still love the feel of the braid. I did go to longer, softer rods and adjusted my "rip their face off" hooksets. As for trolling.. I think the stuff's perfect (except for fleas). Just watch them hook themselves and drag them in!

TC.. Thanks for the great feedback (and interesting reading).. plus.. welcome aboard!

Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Thanks Mike.

And oh yeah, forgot about the longer softer rods - I tend to go with either a 7 ft light to medium light rod - or, like last night, a 7 and 1/2 foot St. Croix quasi-noodle rod. I also swap out all my hooks with Owner or Gamakatsu trebles - and let the fish stick themselves. Those hooks are incredibly sharp and light wired and easily catch and penetrate.

tc

my first dabble with 'braid' was fireline but I found that it lost its shape pretty quickly with the strands separating from one another and in effect flattening -which I found concerning for strength reasons. I switched to 50 lb spider line ultracast after some research and really like it. either way I prefer to use a flouro leader of at least a foot for casting, longer for trolling jigging or dropshotting using whatever lb test I need for the situation- all the way from 6 to 80

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

my favorite for awhile was spiderwire fusion - but they stopped making it. I haven't found a similar line, so I switched to flourocarbon and a longer noodle rod and it works great for almost all types of fishing.

power pro doesn't unravel. Love it , can feel every thing, no problem with hook ups or losing fish. Have noticed friends that are used to mono have minor problems. Get used to it you'll never go back.Keep your drag setting loose. Iuse 20 lb. it has dia of 6lb mono. With a 6 1/2' rod