Kicker motor for Islander ?s

chowder

Just trying to get some background info on the issues surrounding putting a 4 stroke kicker on a Starcraft Islander. Do you need to use a long shaft or will a short shaft work? I would want to be able to link the kicker to my mercruiser out drive( I have an auto pilot).

I'll also say long-shaft is the way to go. I have a short-shaft on my Islander which does very well when the lake is calm & up to about 1' rollers. Anything above that and the prop does come out of the water momentarily when the bow noses down and the stern is up.

I've got a short shaft on my sportcraft. I works fine, but I do have some problems once the waves get to 3 feet. If this motor is just goint to be used on your islander, then go with a long shaft. If I get the chance I'm going to replace my motor with a long shaft, better for a trolling motor application.

Chowder,

I'm thinking this won't work because your I/O needs to run for the hydraulic steering pump to work and assist in steering. I could be wrong. Is the Kicker going to have it's own steering cable or be somehow be connected to the I/O?

• 3 weeks later...