Minn Kota 60 vs 72 on Fishmaster 196 - Fingers trolling

Netbender

Good Day, I have searched and found split opinions with which shaft length to use. I thought I would post with specifics and try to better understand any issues or concerns. I have not picked up the FM as of yet, so am unable to do any measurements myself. I will be trolling the majority of the time in the Fingers. Mostly on Keuka, Canadaigue and Cayuga. Have had communications with with Fat Trout (thanks!) and his recommendation is the 72 inch. My concerns are when the 72 is stowed, I have heard there may be issues with closing the windshield and sometimes with docking. Also, I will be doing some cast fishing out of the bow, and think the 72 may get in way. On the other hand, the 60 may be a better fit out of the water. But, can't go wrong with the 72 in the water. FM has a 150 w 9.9. Anyone that has experience with a GM 60/72 I appreciate your thoughts and guidance. 

Dave

SH, I’ve got a 60 Terrova. 19ft Sea Nymph GLS. Not sure if my bow is higher or lower than the FM.  I don’t use it for steering while trolling which was the main factor in me going with the 60 vs the 72. There have been times though out on Seneca on strong south winds perch fishing and it comes up out of the water. Would I go to a 72? Nope. I’m more thinking to myself I’m ready to go in because I get called crazy for being out in the weather vs I’ve should got the 72. Other points you made are true.  I probably would go to a 72 however if the FM sat higher in the front than mine and or your going to use it for steering while trolling.  You cannot afford the mess if it’s rough and it comes out of the water making a mess of your gear. Just my thought. 

Without a doubt get the 72, if it is installed correctly it doesn't interfere with the windshield or docking.  The extra length will be closer to the windshield so im not sure how it would interfere with casting. Buy a Cisco shaft support for it so the head doesn't bounce around when not in use.

Edited by Fishmaster 196

I have a fishmaster 196. I removed a 60” powerdrive and installed a 72” Terrova.  Powerdrive would pop out of the water often with fairly small waves.  72” is perfect. No problem with windshield. 

I found a picture. Not the greatest. The head of the TM is probably 6” In front of the cleat. I secure the head with a small strap so it doesn’t bounce around. Hope this helps

D0BFF227-D250-43FE-8303-9E0C50F542C2.png

On 3/26/2023 at 9:49 AM, Netbender aka-Superhawk18 said:

Thanks guys for the responses. B&B no need for pics as yours is a Crestliner. The head support is a must. 

Regarding the head support.  For what its worth ive got 8 seasons on mine on two boats and i dont bother.  I did at first for long trailering with a simple wood block and bungee.  It just doesnt bounce much in a concerning way  in the lake or moderate trailering.  Ive rebuilt the motor once even and probably have 7 or 800 hours on mine total but head weight and bouncing isnt an issue.

On 3/25/2023 at 11:23 AM, Frogger said:

SH, I’ve got a 60 Terrova. 19ft Sea Nymph GLS. Not sure if my bow is higher or lower than the FM.  I don’t use it for steering while trolling which was the main factor in me going with the 60 vs the 72. There have been times though out on Seneca on strong south winds perch fishing and it comes up out of the water. Would I go to a 72? Nope. I’m more thinking to myself I’m ready to go in because I get called crazy for being out in the weather vs I’ve should got the 72. Other points you made are true.  I probably would go to a 72 however if the FM sat higher in the front than mine and or your going to use it for steering while trolling.  You cannot afford the mess if it’s rough and it comes out of the water making a mess of your gear. Just my thought. 

I run the same boat with the 60 Xi5 MG and wish I had the 72" for trolling in anything more than calm seas.

Edited by Shakemsam

I have gone the trolling motor steering route for about 6 years with an additional trolling skeg added to my motor. It greatly improves directional stability. Instead of relying 100% on the thrust of the motor, these large fins act as a rudder. In conjunction to the i pilot's ability to set a course (direction), when I point my motor in a direction, I the forget about it and boat stays true to that setting.

https://leelock.com/product/lms-01-magnum-skeg/

LeeLock Magnum Skeg

Everything does have a downside, of course. I need to be careful when approaching a dock straight on, and also when walking around the bow when on a trailer. I feel it's worth it. PM me if you have any questions.

Edited by Prof T