Looking at the 3rd or 4th week in May for a trip to Henderson area to try for Browns and Walleyes. I usually fish this area in end of August for Salmon.  Is end of May to late for Browns ?  

Thanks for any advise.

Jim

Best time of the year to land big browns in my opinion is late May into June.  Browns are really available all year - late August until they spawn they can get grumpy and in the fall Kings start to invade the brown trout waters; male kings are very territorial (likely pushing browns around) - but any other time of year they are there for the taking.

For numbers on browns earlier the better, May can be a little late - all depends on the weather. But really, by May we're chasing kings and you can do exceptional numbers on them. You'll find browns  all the way into the shore  mud, kings will be out a little deeper in the green water. If you find blueback herring work that area and hang on! Doubles, triples and quads. 

Edited by Chuck Smth

I like to wait for a good rain that pushes some warmer water into the lake around the creeks. It tends to get them closer together

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 1

It is even better when you have found out where the under water springs are. A few years ago I went brown trout fishing out of I-Bay in middle November on one of those incredible beautiful quiet late Autumn days and every time I crossed this one point over 40 some feet of water I caught a brown. I marked the spot. About a week later I went over it again and it was the same story. For three years in a row it is the same story now. Last year I decided to drift over that place with the Fish hawk almost touching the bottom (could be scary expensive) and the water temperature at the "hot" spot was about 2 degrees higher than in other spots. For those who know where this is,treat it with respect. Those places are easily destroyed by greed.

Edited by rolmops
grammar
  • Like 1