Trolling streamers

I have always heard of guys trolling steamers for trout in the spring and have always wanted to try but curious about a few things.  For those of you that have done this, I assume these are fished weightless, maybe behind a small planer board, but how do you avoid them twisting the line up? Also would love if someone could PM me and give me some guidance of some patterns.  I own a few tandem streamers in grey ghost, black ghost and Mickey Finn but not sure if they are anything like what are typically used. 

I bought a few from this guy but only tried them once:  Jay Fair Trolling Flies

I might play around with them again this spring but I just seem to go with spoons and maybe a Gambler Rig/Death Trap when I'm trolling.

Good luck!

Edited by Followed The Waves

I tie and fish with the traditional New England tandem-hooked streamers.  When tied properly they don't twist.  When trolled up high, sometimes you may out a split shot a yard above the fly to make sure it doesn't skip across the surface.  You can also troll them deep behind a flasher or spin doctor.

I have some favorites, but you can catch fish on nearly anything on the right day.  You just have to figure out if they want bright or dark, colorful or pale.

Thanks guys, this is all really helpful and I am taking note of every bit of info.  My last question is what range of speed should I be looking for or is this more water temp related or changing with fish attitude by the day?

3 minutes ago, greenhornet73 said:

Thanks guys, this is all really helpful and I am taking note of every bit of info.  My last question is what range of speed should I be looking for or is this more water temp related or changing with fish attitude by the day?

In the spring, guys generally troll their streamers fast. 2.5 mph or better. 

I used to troll with streamers on Cayuga. I used them on a double rig. Take a 3 way swivel, tie a 18" piece of mono on one and a 3 to 4 foot piece on the other. Put a stick bait on the short mono  and the streamer on the long one. The stick bait will take the streamer down to a desired depth, depending on the stick bait. I netted a double of Atlantics one day for my son on this rig, that was interesting! Good luck