A bit late with my report here, but launched out of Mexico last Saturday around 8:30. Lot was a lot fuller than I was expecting but good to see folks out and after them on the nice clear day. 

This was my first outing of the year on my boat and it was a chilly one. Winds out of the north made it feel even colder and gave the water a decent chop for my 16' boat to start the day. Right out of the launch the milk chocolate water gave way to some nice green/brown so we didn't go far to set up. Worked 7-15; of water east of the launch and only landed 1 small brown on a blue/silver stickbait behind an inline board. Only have tried for browns less than a handful of times so wasn't mad at it and saw others out having pretty good sucess. 

We worked out deeper around 11:30 to check to make sure my depth raider was still good after sitting all year, so threw on some gamlber rigs and hammerheard cowbells. Trolled in about 70' and took a 10lb laker on the downrigger with wonderbread on the business end at about 1.7-1.9 mph (you'll never guess where I was from the pic lol). We also had something rip a dipsey off that was out 160' with a raspberry carbon 14 spoon on it. Fish wasn't on the line long before it broke off, but seemed sizable. One thing I found interesting was that the surface temp was about 40F but near bottom was around 48F. I don't get out much so maybe it's common this time of year, but first I've seen that.  

20230408_124253.jpg

• Like 4

Hey Mikey I have fished those same waters for 38 years, try fishing the skinny water from Catfish creek to the high rocks to sunset bay, lots of browns in the shallow, warmer water especially low light conditions. Also can be a king bite into deeper water offshore. Good luck and have a great season in 2023 !!

• Thanks 1

Launched at 9 and called it at 4 with one 1 laker to show. Slow day filled with sun, bugs, muddy water, and flat calm conditions. 

Launched out of Mexico and headed left. Basically tried from the launch to the plant in 7-20 fow. Water was cloudy pretty much the whole way. Saw a couple boats take some fish but nothing for us in there. We tried sticks and spoons mostly but no takers in there. Was looking to get rid of the skunk on the boat so went out to around 80 fow and the water was still dirty and muddy out there. It seemed like it was everywhere. Found some clearer water more east and thanked a laker for kicking the skunk off. Took a death trap to get him. 

Slow, buggy day on the water is still 1000% better than being in the office so good day still! Thanks again PD just wasn't our day.

Yeah those bugs, suck although enjoy the flat calm. On the eastern shore it really heats up after a NW blow, all the bait and browns are in close and can be feast fest. Hang in there Mikey water temps will be heating up, just a matter of timing. I have alive web cam on my lake house so can give lake reports to anyone heading out. Tight lines !!