Material for replacing transom in aluminum boat

Rocco

Good day everyone !

I just bought a princecraft Super Pro 226 and it has a soft transom that needs replaced.

So of course it is plywood and I guess at my age I could go with plywood again and it would probably last longer than I will.

But what the heck maybe one of my grandkids will get it , so it might be nice if it lasted a bit longer.

The question of the day is , I'm wondering if anyone had any input on any synthetic materials that are impervious to moisture ?

Barring that any suggestions on synthetic materials, what to treat plywood with to achieve better longevity from rot.

Thanks very much for your time and for looking !

RE

Hi Chinook266

I did see coosa board listed at a site here in Ontario but in the description it listed a bunch of uses but didn't mention transoms ?

I emailed to company and asked specifically if coosa board was appropriate for transoms and I have not heard back from them in a week.

I will take a deeper dive into looking at it.

Thanks for your time !

First and foremost - figure out where moisture is getting in and fix that....composite materials are great in that they won't absorb water - but that comes at a price if water is getting in - the composite materials will channel the water elsewhere which may cause problems in areas harder to address.  

Chances are that if the boat has an outboard, it failed at the bolt entries because they weren't properly sealed.   Moisture and/or water is going in somewhere.

If you are going with plywood again, paint it or stain it as a preventative measure.   In theory, you should be getting 20 years or more out of a redone transom replaced the correct way.  If the floor of this boat is plywood and hasn't been redone, it will have to be replaced at some point anyway.

I believe I know how the water was getting in. The top rail that covers in the plywood goes straight across the top and stops and a second piece of aluminum transitions upward. it at the confluence of those two pieces of rail that the water has gotten in. I have a friend in a aluminum fabrication shop that I'm going to ask to bend me up a "C" channel rail in one piece to recover the new material.

I think the coosa board from Noah's is what is going to be used.

Thanks

8 hours ago, Rocco said:

I believe I know how the water was getting in. The top rail that covers in the plywood goes straight across the top and stops and a second piece of aluminum transitions upward. it at the confluence of those two pieces of rail that the water has gotten in. I have a friend in a aluminum fabrication shop that I'm going to ask to bend me up a "C" channel rail in one piece to recover the new material.

I think the coosa board from Noah's is what is going to be used.

Thanks

I would consider other areas before anything that is open to air circulation. If I am understanding you correctly, that area is only subjected to splash. Motor mounts, swim platform mounts, transducers, any through bolts or loose rivets under the water line are the first areas to look.

I’m sure you are aware of this , but just in case. Don’t use pressure treated lumber or plywood on an aluminum boat   The copper in the material will react ( and eat ) the aluminum in a very short time  

1 and 1/2 “ coosa with 1708 fiberglass on each side for reinforcement and to get it to 1 and 5/8” thickness like the the original was. Of the pictures I’ve seen of those who purchased a composite transom replacement from Lund, it looks like that’s what they are using 

FD4793B7-4C4C-4896-9D0E-CF9BF7EC257C.jpeg