After the St. Catherine's event Team Yankee Troller was looking for revenge. We felt we were better than a 35 place finish! The team for this event consisted of myself, my father, my brother, uncle Eric, and Jeremy Sage. In our favor we had two solid days of chartering allowing us to find, and figure out the Salmon. Day one we blasted off and ran to our waypoints from the previous two days. We were met with hungry fish eating the program we had been running the previous two days. Only difference was the fish were running a tad bit smaller than we had been catching.

5/9 - We trolled the 140-250 depth hitting our waypoints and here came the fish! Again our program consisted of 4 wire divers pulling a combination of SmartFish and Spin Doctors trailed by A-TOM-MIK flies. Our divers were parked at 300 and 325 for the inside divers and 350 and 375 for the outside divers. We ran 3 downriggers pulling various spoons anywhere from 75-180' down. Our BEST spoon was the Dreamweaver SS Dave;s Salmon Slapper. We couldn't get a Sea Sick Waddler to go for the first time in I don't know! Lastly we had a 600 copper down the chute with my favorite set-u! A SmartFish on a 9 O'clock setting White on White pulling an A-TOM-MIK Ultra Green Glow Fly.

After everyone hit the scales we were sitting pretty in 7th place! We had about a 15lb average in our cooler, but we lacked that kicker fish we had pulled the previous two days.

5/10 -We were met with high winds and we were hoping that the tournament would be called and we would cash in 7th, but when the lake was checked it was fishable. Once we started fishing it wasn't fishable anymore! We still gave it our all and immediately after we set up the 600 copper took off followed by a screamer on the 375 wire. We ended up 0 for 2 very quickly! We would end the day with 5 keepers and a bunch of lost fish. Not a 15 pound average like the previous day, but we tried! Same program as above, but the size went down for our boat. We would get bumped out of the top ten and finish in 11th place. Just out of the money, and by 4 pounds! That hurts, but the guys above us were all very solid fisherman and my hat goes off to them.

100_0824.jpg

Nice catch guys. We also fished on Friday worked hard but only had 1 runner which we lost within about 10 seconds. Marked that spot to start Saturday morning and luckily we dropped lines and had 1 on within 5 minutes 10lbs. Got him and and banked another 10 pder got him and had a feista 18 pder. Before we new it we had 30 boats all over us and there goes the school. Managed 1 other small one for the day. I had fun fishing it but I didn't like how some people brought in short fish and were not disqualfied. I don't know if anybody else picked up on that at the weigh in.

I had fun fishing it but I didn't like how some people brought in short fish and were not disqualfied. I don't know if anybody else picked up on that at the weigh in.

I picked up on that too. :no:

Good job guys we fished the scotty too. I read ur blog all the time and i appreciat all the info, were just weekenders mostly so the info is good to know. Our team is "balls out" and our boat is "balls deep". It was our first tournament we ever did and let me tell u it was pretty exciting and really intimadating. We finished 19th the first day with a 65 pound box. We fished right out front at about 275 feet of watter running the usuall 30 to 70 down. We got smoked the second day with a 20 pounder and 2 dinks. It was the lack of knowledge. I never heard of fishing down over 100 feet. How does some one come up with a program that finds fish that deep. I was taught that fish that deep were inactive and there was no reason to even try for them. I like to think we do pretty good but i know there is a lot to learn so any insite would be great. Good luck at all of your up comming tournaments.

I had fun fishing it but I didn't like how some people brought in short fish and were not disqualified. I don't know if anybody else picked up on that at the weigh in.

20" length minimum isn't the law (18 inches is). This was put forth a year or two ago in the Scotty's to save the smaller fish. In Canada it is my understanding there is no length minimum, so that is where they set it for the tourney. During a tourney to loose one fish 19" is 14 points, so that's penalty enough.

Good job guys we fished the scotty too. I read ur blog all the time and i appreciat all the info, were just weekenders mostly so the info is good to know. Our team is "balls out" and our boat is "balls deep". It was our first tournament we ever did and let me tell u it was pretty exciting and really intimadating. We finished 19th the first day with a 65 pound box. We fished right out front at about 275 feet of watter running the usuall 30 to 70 down. We got smoked the second day with a 20 pounder and 2 dinks. It was the lack of knowledge. I never heard of fishing down over 100 feet. How does some one come up with a program that finds fish that deep. I was taught that fish that deep were inactive and there was no reason to even try for them. I like to think we do pretty good but i know there is a lot to learn so any insite would be great. Good luck at all of your up comming tournaments.

Its all about using your fish finder and getting lures to the fish down there. It isnt easy and can result in some HUGE tangles if done wrong. Deep fish are in no way inactive. If you fished the East end of the Lake fishing over 100' down is the norm. Ask questions on here about fishing deep and I'm sure there are plenty of people who can help you put that program together.

Congrats Rick...... :clap::clap::clap::yes:

As I said in an earlier post I new you would be in the mix along with Billy, but I also thought Paul (Free Spirit) and Chris (Maverick) would be up there as well. I believe if it wasn"t for the weather we would be looking at a different board.

I still congradulate all who fished a tough tournament during some poor conditions.

By the way, we went out Friday and Saturday and 5 of the 14 Salmon we cought on your favorite rig, only we ran copper 400 back. We fished just east of Wilson in 80 - 150 FOW until we blew both our manifolds and had to putter our way back to Olcott. :@:@

Howie

Ultra Green Glow. The rest came of Riggers, DW Rays Salmon Seeker, 42nd Spoon and NK Spook.

We started in 60 fow and hit them 50 - 60 down in 98'. then 120'.....trolloing North - South 1 mile NE of Wilson Harbor

Howie