FM196 list 5% to one side - 150 and 9.9 kicker

Netbender

Good Day, I have for the first time brought my new FM196 up on plane. I understand there is the 9.9 kicker on the port side, but did not expect such a large amount of lean to that side. 

Are there any tricks to getting this to a more level plane? I have two batteries in the back, one port, one starboard. Are tabs the only answer? 

Thanks for your time.

Dave

If you have the room have both batteries on the opposite side of the kicker.  It will help but trim tabs  will be better yet .  Load changes in people, coolers, etc are going to change and tabs can compensate for that.

So for what it’s worth, I don’t think tabs are the only answer, if it’s leaning at full throttle. There was at one time a lengthy chat about a similar boat leaning to one side, not steering but leaning like from an unbalanced load.  I’m assuming the fuel tank is in center of boat, kicker is opposite of driver batteries somewhat balanced in mid section of boat? You shouldn’t really have any lean, unless your considerably less than the weight of your kicker (they usually weigh under a 100lbs), thus the topic was centered around the main motor not mounted at the correct height. I think it was mentioned it was mounted too high. Any hoo I would hate to see you mount trim tabs when it might be your overall engine / boat performance that is getting robbed. Might want to do a search on here to find the posts or talk with the dealer about it.  You might even find or hear back from guys on here who had it. I always was never a fan of band aiding the problem. Unless it was to get you back to dock lol. Nice rig by the way. 

• Like 1

Very interesting thread, thanks for providing me the link. Just a few more facts with my issue:

2023 FM 196 

1- 150 and 9.9 on port side

2- dual batteries in aft, one each side

3- no trolling motor (yet), no forward batteries (yet)  - will be two 12v mounted center front)

4- 2 people, driver 190lbs passenger 140lbs

Bow does porpoise quickly, a bit high in my opinion. The port lean begins immediately at 5-7%.

If trimmed 3/4 or more, the lean does lesson but never goes below 5%. Stays in this position and never changes. Even through various rpm ranges. Under 2000 rpm, boat sits level and runs stable.

Main motor mounted with one hole showing from top on engine mount.

Prop - is unknown at this time. SS 3 blade but details not known. I am away from the boat as I write this. 

I will call the dealer Monday AM. I also have a logistics issue as the dealer is 3 hours from Keuka Lake, where the boat is. I am hoping this can be taking care of. 

Dave

Trim Tabs.  

Is there an imbalance of steering wheel effort required between turning left or turning right when trimmed for cruisng speed? I have done setups on boats where the motor trim tab was improperly adjusted and it will create a torque along the boat's longitudinal axis (roll axis for you pllots out there.) On a light boat it will cause the boat ot be slightly off of level in cruise. 

Edited by Chuck Smith

Thanks again for the advise. I will check all the recommendations Thursday when I get to the boat. I did hear back from the dealership. They are asking for a video of the issue to send directly to Starcraft. I am not sure if this is a good thing or if it will cause further delay. Assuming it will help. 

Dave

IMG_2492.thumb.jpg.346351ddb395d40a73ac6fb8524caea5.jpgSent videos to dealership. Changed the position of the trim tab anode to all possible positions. There was little to no improvement in the lean issue. Ran the boat in several different directions and varied rpm. Turning to the left seems to have more resistance than turning to the right when on plane.
Pulled of the steering rod to the 9.9 and made sure the 9.9 was trimmed up full. Still has severe lean to port side above 2500 rpm to plane. Bow raises rather quickly when given throttle. Here is the anode position from the dealership.

Thanks, Dave

Edited by Netbender aka-Superhawk18
added picture of anode

19 hours ago, Netbender aka-Superhawk18 said:

IMG_2492.thumb.jpg.346351ddb395d40a73ac6fb8524caea5.jpgSent videos to dealership. Changed the position of the trim tab anode to all possible positions. There was little to no improvement in the lean issue. Ran the boat in several different directions and varied rpm. Turning to the left seems to have more resistance than turning to the right when on plane.
Pulled of the steering rod to the 9.9 and made sure the 9.9 was trimmed up full. Still has severe lean to port side above 2500 rpm to plane. Bow raises rather quickly when given throttle. Here is the anode position from the dealership.

Thanks, Dave

A few things for you as I have a 196 with 150 main and 9.9 on the port side, both yamaha and have been running it for 4 years.

Its still a small light boat and will be sensitive to weight distribution.   driver and passenger, batteries on both sides, kicker on one side....she leans.  Clockwise rotation of the prop provides torque that I think doesn't help but I've never gotten into that.  Regarding ease of turning right or left, if you mean at speed, thats prop torque, I'd suggest not to sweat it.  If she wants to steer and not go straight when you let go of the wheel, thats what that annode tab you have pictured above is for (vs solving lean) 

Great boat, great platform,  No doubt Starcraft  mailed in in on some things which I felt were entirely stupid or under done.  I made changes that make me happy.  I don't know how much they could do to prevent leaning but they definitely didn't do anything other than hope the overall width was enough (I think).  They have users who don't use kickers too so short of them putting tabs on not sure what they could do that would be universal.  I definitely could see why folks would put tabs on.  

Here's what I see running my boat.

As I am now, when I run the boat by myself (solo).  No leaning.  When my buddy is with me....im 175, he's 220....it leans a bit and yeah I don't love that but as it is now its tolerable.     When I have a 3rd person I have them behind me driving....no lean.   For record I have (2) Size 27 batteries up front. a size 29 on the port rear and a 27 on the starboard rear.   I run by myself a lot, when my wife is with me I have her lift the arm rest and sit more toward centerline.

Things I have done

1) I put a tube sand under the driver dash in that forward storage compartment and shoved it as far Starboard as it will go.  I feel that helped.

2) I store my spare downrigger sharks on top of the above tube tube sand

3) I trim up (as mentioned earlier) as that  helps.  

Things I am thinking of doing

1) when the size 29 port side battery needs to be replaced I may go Lithium on that one battery.  In retrospect I wish I had shifted the battery box toward centerline originally but I did so much wiring work before season 1 that I really didn't want to mess with it again for a while.  

2) I may pull the washdown pump and shift that battery as far toward centerline as possible.  I don't use the washdown and never will.  

I have not gone down the road of tabs because I hate any more holes in boats than necessary.   That and I'll be pissed forever if I ever cut a fish off on the edge of a tab. Also, theres this stupid frigging emergency fold down foot hold to climb back aboard that they put on the port size right about where I'd want to put a tab.  They put that in an area that can't be accessed from the bilge / back side (separate compartment) so I'm hesitant to mess with that.  BTW, I pulled the backwall plate in the back of the splashwall floor storage and cut in in half and put it back in there like that so I can away get into my bilge in some way at any time via the storage opening.  I like having that option vs only via the black screw lids in the actual splash well.   

Edited by Fat Trout

Good morning, thanks again for taking the time to educate me on this and providing guidance. A lot going on here. Everyone has been helpful. Heading out today for some fish! 

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

Update: Smokercraft has recommended trim tabs. Electric units will not fit with the swim ladder and current kicker location. Second choice are performance tabs. They are currently being installed by the dealership. Do I have a hook in the hull? How does that occur with a new boat? Trailering? Does StarCraft repair hooks in the factory? 

Any thoughts welcome,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

i had a terrible issue w a boat a while back-a 20’ aluminum deep vee w/ a 130 hp yamaha which dug in so hard to port.

i went simple w/ smart tabs ( automatic trim tabs $139)—it was like a miracle-problem solved.   I was a little shocked it was that easy

good luck