Jump to content

camomanbg

Professional
  • Posts

    191
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by camomanbg

  1. Looks like I'm getting blown off the big lake tomorrow so I have started to research Canandaguia. What kind of jigs are you talking about? I plan on trolling but I would like to try the jigging thing if we need to.
  2. Thanks for the sketch Tim! Landshark, I am running them on 2.5 and sometimes 3 with all mono. I'd be running mainly spoons or a SD and fly combo (whatever I hear is working best on the LOU site!) I just want to be able to get six lines in the water without putting the big planer boards out. Do you guys run planers all year? If it is an effective method all summer long, I wouldn't mind putting the mast back up and going with them....but I know the fishing is deeper in the summer and I don't have any lead or copper to get it down if I put it out on a planer board. Would it be safe to run a dipsy diver off the side in a rod holder if I have a 4' boom off the same side? It seems like it would be a nightmare waiting to happen. Also, can I run a copper line on a regular downrigger rod and reel? The ones I have are kind of old, but still work just fine, the problem I see is that they only hold maybe 350yds of 25# mono, so there wouldn't be enough room to put the amount of copper needed to get it down there. Am I right about this?
  3. I am looking for a way to run two more rods off a fairly small boat. There are two riggers but we want to be able to run six rods and not tangle everything up. Can I use inline planers with mono? How would I get any depth behind the board? I don't have any rods setup with copper or lead, and don't think I have any that will hold up to either. We've been using dipsy divers but they don't really go away from the boat like I expected them to. Any suggestions?
  4. Anyone ever have a problem with Walker Deep Trollers backing the tightening knob off the spool and having them freespool while retrieving the ball? It happened to my friend last year, and he got all the new "hardware" (washers, knob, etc.) and I looked at the other one, put this one back together, but it freespooled a few times on us on Saturday. Enough that we stopped using it since it doesn't have the handle on it to hand crank it.
  5. Fishing Report Your Name / Boat Name:Bahtenda ============== TRIP OVERVIEW ============== Date(s):6/18, 6/19 Time on Water:1pm-5pm, 6am-6pm Weather/Temp: Wind Speed/Direction: Waves: Surface Temp: 64-62, 64.5-59 Location:I-Bay LAT/LONG (GPS Cords): =============== FISHING RESULTS =============== Total Hits: 5 Saturday and 11 Sunday Total Boated:3 Sat/6Sundat Species Breakdown:Skipper Kings, Lakers, Coho Hot Lure: NBK, Lazer Spook, Emerald NK28 (green, gold and siver?) Trolling Speed: 2-2.8 Down Speed: same Boat Depth: 50-160 Lure Depth: 30-90 ==================== SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS ==================== This was our first time on the lake in a few years, so we used the info gained by reading these posts, and tried to just get something to bite. We didn't care what species. Since people reported catching browns shallow, we setup in 60' and just worked our way out watching the screen amd never made it much past 120'. The first rigger line down popped as I was setting up a stacker, and I figured I just didn't have the release set right, but it was a skipper king on the MK28 Lazer Spook down 20'. At least the skunk was out of the boat! Next fish was a Laker on a NBK on mono dipsy set to 2.5 and back 100 (that's about 30-35' down right?). We caught another skipper king, and missed a few releases after that. Sunday we started in 80' of water worked out to 160, we marked a few fish out in 150' and managed a few releases, 2 skipper kings, and a 5lb laker. Then we worked that depth for a while in one direction, made a swing back into 70-80', marked a lot of bait for a few minutes, never got a release and eventually continued on. We landed a nice laker where we weren't marking anything, then had an exciting moment on the dipsy out 140' on mono, with a Hawg Wild SD and an Atomik silver hammer, but it got off. THEN....we had our first good ripper of the year on the Spook down 76 in 85' of water. It spooled a bunch of line out, surfaced, ran back to the boat, and when it turned again and started taking line for a second, GONE! Oh well, that was exciting for a bit. Worked that area a little while longer and picked up another 6-7lb laker off the Emerald down 55'. Never marked anything with consistency, and only about half of our releases came after seeing something on the screen. It is cool to watch them streak up or down and then have a release though (happened a couple times). Will be out again this weekend, trying to make it happen. Thanks to all who post so generously here and I hope that I can return the favor in some way with my info.
  6. Name: Brian Location: Rochester Home Port:I-Bay and others Boat Name/Type: Bahtenda-Boston Whaler 20' Outrage I fish for: Trout and Salmon ================== Found this site a couple weeks ago as a friend and I were finishing up preparing his boat for the season. I haven't fished the LO for 12yrs or so, and it has been a few for him as well. I went out as an observer in one of the Pro-Am's, and have been reading this site soaking up as much of the generously given information as possible. Will do my best to contribute! Thanks to all who post reports and advice. Our first weekend out this past weekend was a success.
  7. camomanbg

    Help!

    Sheared three studs off a trailer wheel last night and need to find a new disk brake rotor for a loadrite trailer today so the weekend is lost completely. Any ideas? It's a 2008 Loadrite with a 10" Rotor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  8. What are the best places to buy tackle for trolling in Rochester? Line, lures, downrigger accessories, etc.
  9. Thanks guys! Just getting back into fishing the lake after an absence of about 14yrs, so I'm trying to hit the ground running and this site has been a big help. (so was being an observer this weekend in the Pro-Am!)
  10. So, the fleas stick to your line and lures and gum up the eyes on the rod and the reels? What's the deal with using 30#, is the diameter just big enough that they can't attach to it?
  11. I have been reading a lot about what line to use and everyone seems to be talking about the "fleas". Can someone tell me what the deal is with them? More specifically, what is the problem they are causing? What is the best way to avoid it? What do they look like or how can I tell when I need to start dealing with them?
×
×
  • Create New...