Jump to content

rswanson330

Members
  • Posts

    113
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by rswanson330

  1. Charter. Yeah, that's a great idea. We just back in to our cottage on Lake George using the recipe the charter captain gave is 15 years ago for lake trout. We put my son's girlfriend on two fish; one about 3 lbs and the other was a bigger fish but bit off. Sky blue flatfish, ~1 mph. The Cap'n used davis spinners, but I don't like them. Long story short, you will get a plethora of knowledge from a charter captain. Sorry about the banana in Pulaski, I've never taken a bad charter.
  2. And get multiples of what you think is going to work. If you're running 4 rods, the fish want Mountain Dew Spin Doctors and you only have one... Well you're pretty well screwed. I've got a half dozen of everything that has worked for me (they used to love seeded watermelon spoons).
  3. I'm down in CT so I don't have access to a lot of salmon stuff for when I make the trip up once every year or so. What I've done that has worked well is to buy my stuff on eBay. Folks are selling lots of stuff (not "a lot", but a lot as in "a 20 spoon lot") Mix it up with colors. Get what the folks above recommend, they know better than me, but I'd also recommend a bunch of 4-5" spoons, stick baits and j-plugs. Then when you get there you can see what's working and get started with something in your arsenal that is close. Now you're in the ballpark anyway. When you launch look at the boats in slips and see what colors they are running, some guys leave their rods rigged ready for the next trip out. Then after the day is done go to the store and stock up. I found that on eBay (check the classifieds here first; this is an "and also) you can get a bunch of used stuff for short money.
  4. I agree with everybody. I'm from down in CT. I read the site, read some more and then some more looking for what's happening around Mexico. But, CT is a long way to tow a boat for a weekend, so I'm up there for a week once every couple years. When I'm there, I post. Otherwise there's not much to say. Looks like the lake is still high. I'll be looking for info on the Mexico launch after I post this... But its up to Lake George for me next week.
  5. I fish Mexico whenever I go up there, we stay in Pulaski. We had a terrible trip up there the second week of May, too late for the browns and too early for the kings. And we focused on Kings when we should have focused on browns... Anyhow fishing was terrible. But other folks were catching a few (listening to channel 9). The bay gets snotty just like any place else, its not really a bay, its a bump in the lake shore. But everything is relatively close... we put in in Mexico and fish from Oswego to Sandy Pond, east of Pulaski (not all in the same day). But we have trolled the shore from Mexico to Sandy in a morning. Just be careful. Things can change in a hurry out there. I'll be headed up again this summer when the kings are in.
  6. We were up there Saturday the 10th (?) thru Friday; not a keeper. We focused on Kings at first, two misses on Saturday. 85 fow off the bluffs. After that nothing all week. Went between kings and browns, folks suggested cow bells for lakers... but I don't like cow bells. We left Friday in the deluge. Couldn't get out Thursday, too windy. Wednesday fished 6-4, one short steelie.
  7. Not on the trailer... Supermarket fish aisle Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  8. Make that south of catfish... Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  9. We caught a fish!!! We caught a fish!!! Too bad it's an 18" rainbow. It's back in the pond. Just north of catfish in 18' on a rainbow mooselooky thing. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  10. Fishing at 06:00. Headed off the bluffs and fished 80-150. One rod popped at about 7:45 in 120. Picked up the rod and nuthin' was on it. We've been getting a lot of that; nuthin' I mean. Seems that's what we're good for... Real good for nuthin'. Guys fishng the bluffs and down the front of the plant picked up a few this morning. That's what we're doing now. Stay posted, it's about to get exciting. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  11. Hope it sets up by the end of the week; got to back to CT after that... Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  12. They're killing us. Four days out and not a fish. Saturday we missed two kings and pulled a spoon in with lips on it... Anybody catches a lipless fish send me a pm and I'll mail them to you. We haven't had a rod go off since. Suggestions? Please?? Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  13. Don't really want to focus on lakers... I get them on cow bells and blue flatfish in Lake George... But we're not after lakers. Today we out in at Mexico around 9:30 and trolled 8-20 fow all the way to South Sandy Pond. Switched between watermelon, green, pink and brown spoons and fire tiger, brown and yellow sticks. And other stuff I can't remember. Not a bloody thing. Then we went out to 45 feet off the Salmon and fished sticks off the ball at 20 feet off bottom and 30 feet down, spoons off the boards with 1/8 oz bullets above the leaders... May as well have kept the rods in the boat and taken a long boat ride. Tomorrow we're going to see if dawn is better, earliest we've been out is 8:00. Tough to get out early when you get back and Baka a lasagna... Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  14. Oh joy, no fishes off Salmon either. We'll, we have to go someplace, may as well not catch fish there. We already haven't caught them every ace else. Anybody fish north of Pulaski? Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  15. Fished 60-200 fow, spoons and flatfish. Not a hit. Marked bait and a few fish right on the bottom, mostly around 130-145. Tomorrow we'll try the mouth of the salmon river, see if the returning steelies can be coaxed... Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  16. Yesterday was a wash so today we're dragging spoons across the front of nine mile, fishing since around ten in 85-95 fow, so far nothing but the day is young. We're listening o. Channel 9 Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  17. Left the kings at 10:00 with no action; headed down to little salmon to see if we could pick up any of the fish we were flashing. Went from below lite salmon to catfish in 10-25 fow, one 4 lb 10 oz smallie. At least we saw scales. Trolling sticks back to little salmon now and then it's miller time Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  18. Out off the bluffs not in 70-85 fow, nothing I h happening. Marked a lot of fish coming up from Little Salmon in 15-30, probably browns. If the kings don't pick up we'll head back there. Two hits and misses yesterday on purple and black spoons where we are now, both down low. Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  19. If I have a good day and the mate was helpful I tip 20% of my share of the charter. If the mate was outstanding I'll tip 25%. What I mean by that is if the charter was $800 and we split it between four of us, my share was $200. I tip 20% of that; $40. And I feel that I tip more than most. Regarding the captain not paying the mate and a $40 tip sucks... I pay the captain for the charter. He pays for everything else. The mate gets what I consider a generous tip. The deal he made with the captain regarding payment is not my concern.
  20. I like a good ball bearing swivel about 5-8' above a dulock snap. The ball bearing keeps your line from getting twisted up. I run fluorocarbon line and leaders. I have five reels loaded with 8# fluoro, same line used for the leader. Then another 4 reels loaded with 12# fluoro. Same line again for the leader. I pay attention to my line and leader and trim it if I feel any nicks or abrasions. I use the 8# for browns, then just switch reels to the 12# for kings. I use Berkley Cherrywood downrigger rods (CWGC862DR); cheap but they get the job done nicely. I think that the long bendy rod provides a lot of forgiveness with the light line.
  21. Thanks, guys. We're still coming the week of the May 9th. Too many things to change in order to change the date. We have nailed them that week before, we've been skunked that week before. Good luck everybody.
  22. When do the kings usually show up in the eastern basin?
  23. My brother-in-law and I are scheduled to come up the week of May 9-18th. We missed the last couple years, the year before that we were up a week later and hit bluebird days, t-shirts. A solid week of fishing early morning till supper. Hooked 7, boated 5, kept 3. Years before that we were up there the third week of May and slammed the browns and kings. Anybody have any idea when the kings will be there? We like trolling off the bluffs in 70-150 fow, and picking up kings on... well, spoons on planers have always been best. Found that anything with pink in it worked best. We play with the browns when we want to change things up. They liked brown sticks in dirty water for the most part. We also usually pick up a couple small bows (steelies?) as you make the bend from the plant to the bluffs in 20-25 fow, never anything that we kept though. All too small. I'm reading a lot of great brown reports... but nothing about the kings. I know its early for them, I just don't want to get up there before they make their appearance. We're coming from CT. Anybody got a clue? I know everything has been a tad late this year, and I have the opportunity to move my booking forward a week or two. I guess I'm looking for a crystal ball report. We'll be in the Lund Tyee 1950, two of us during the week, 4 on weekends when the kids come up. If you see two guys trolling around throwing peanuts at each other, that's us not doing so too well with the fishies. Thanks for the opinions.
  24. Today stunk as well. 2 kings, one 19 inches, the other off at the boat. One in front of the plant, missed fish off the alum plant in 130 fow. Real slow. [ Post made via Mobile Device ]
×
×
  • Create New...