-
Posts
113 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by rswanson330
-
for sale : usa Fish Hawk X4 Probe with Hard Case and O-Rings - $150 - SOLD
rswanson330 posted a topic in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent
I replaced my X4 probe with a Lithium unit. I bought the probe used off some fishing site (I don't remember which one). It was part of an entire X4 unit. I used the unit for the first time a couple years ago and it leaked, so I bought a new O-Ring set and put it away. I didn't get a chance to try it out again until a couple weeks ago up in Wilson, and it still leaked. I believe the problem is the nose cone, that has a pretty good crack in it. The cracks do extend into the probe itself but I don't think that will affect it as those cracks appear to be superficial. When in Wilson the probe worked for about six hours before the batteries became water logged and died. In my frustration, when we got back to the B&B the first thing I did was buy a new Lithium probe. Problem solved. Then my buddy pointed out that I could have just bought a new $15 nose cone from Fish Hawk and solved it for a fraction of the cost of a new probe. Oh well. -
Oswego
rswanson330 replied to kcr66's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
Regarding East End Guys, I've been up once in the past couple years (had some medical issues) and that was to the west end, I posted what we did. But aside from that, I am a member of a message board here in CT "ctfisherman.com" and have noticed the same thing on their site. Where there used to be a plethora of reports every week, Now there may be one or two. For example, in "River Reports" the last thing posted was August 17, and that was me. There have been six reports in "Salt Water Reports" in the past two weeks (salt is a big thing down here, especially this time of year). And most reports are from the same handful of old farts who refuse to move on (I'm one of them). Forums like this used to provide a wealth of information, but folks have gotten away from them. Now I imagine it's all Facebook and their own personal sites. I watch Mexico Bay reports kind of closely and have also noted a significant drop in reports over the past few years. C'est la vie. -
Fished with a buddy out of Wilson on September 4. The fishing was SLOOOOW. We started in 200', did absolutely nothing for a couple hours. Came in to 170 or so, still more nuthin'. Turned out and finally hit three fish in 330-375', the last a double in 375. It was time to point it in by then so that was that.
-
Mexico Bay Reports
rswanson330 replied to chowder's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
Mexico Bay Reports
rswanson330 replied to chowder's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
Mexico Bay Reports
rswanson330 replied to chowder's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
New one for me
rswanson330 replied to ChrisS's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
Ewww. I've caught birds before, but always on or slightly beneath the surface. The last one was an ospray on a Danny while plugging for stripers in the CT River. I was glad that one dropped the plug after a somewhat long struggle. Getting birds off the line IS a royal pain in the butt. They're never happy. So, you making soup? -
Oswego
rswanson330 replied to seeyawader's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
Oswego
rswanson330 replied to seeyawader's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
Let us know how you do in Wilson, I fished there once (late last June) with "SalmonBoy", Three of us were limited out by 8:30. The captain (forgot his name) told us that he chartered in both Mexico Bay and Wilson, and there is a world of diffence between the two; Wilson being far superior. -
Oswego
rswanson330 replied to seeyawader's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
Second hand info, My buddy picked up a couple 10 pound browns out of Oswego on Tuesday. He also noted that the weather was snotty, they had to get off the water early. It seems that fish are there, just not easily caught. I have no info on lures or depths, but when I saw the picture he sent I had to ask how much the fish weigher, they were obviously large fish. -
Does anybody run teasers between their diver and whatever is behind the diver; flasher or whatever? I thought I've seen this in the past, but can't find a reference to it. The way I see it, the leader off the Dipsy would actually be made up of three seperate leaders, Each incorporating a squid (or tube fly), a bead and a swivel. Or something. Thoughts?
-
Late but happy start on Lake Memphremagog
rswanson330 replied to Speedy's topic in Open Lake Discussion
Well, That ain't good. They have succeeded in screwing up every smelt holding water body I'm aware of that they have been "magically" introduced to. Down here in the flatlands (CT) we used to have a couple great kokanee lakes that are no longer so too great due to the introduction of alewifes (East Twin and West Hill). -
Late but happy start on Lake Memphremagog
rswanson330 replied to Speedy's topic in Open Lake Discussion
-
Late but happy start on Lake Memphremagog
rswanson330 replied to Speedy's topic in Open Lake Discussion
-
Late but happy start on Lake Memphremagog
rswanson330 replied to Speedy's topic in Open Lake Discussion
Are you fishing into Canada or staying on the VT side? I haven't been in Magog in a while, we used to fish for smelt thru the ice over the sunken islands. I haven't had my boat up there in probably 15 years, But I've wondered about fishing the upper lake. I've never been beyound the border marker bouys. -
I run sticks and spoons 75-100' behind the boat when I'm luck enough to get up there in April. Everything is off the board, I don't use the riggers. Tight to shore. I've had good years and not so good years. If you have clear skys and clear water you may need to run further behind the boat. Look for dirty water.
-
I run sticks and spoons 75-100' behind the boat when I'm luck enough to get up there in April. Everything is off the board, I don't use the riggers. Tight to shore. I've had good years and not so good years. If you have clear skys and clear water you may need to run further behind the boat. Look for dirty water.
-
If I recall correctly, the Big Jon installation manuals they recommend wiring directly to the battery or buss bar, Not a fuse panel. That's why I went straight to the battery. Everything else (except the planer boards) goes thru a couple distribution panels that I have wired in under the dash. I've attached the owners manual to this post. OwnersManualWeb.pdf
-
I replaced my manual downriggers with (used) Big Jon's last summer. They're wonderful. I also went electric with my planer boards, but that's not for this thread. You definitely want to keep the Big Jon's off the trolling motor circuit. Mixing 12/24 on the same circuit can't be doing you any good. I am running both downriggers on separate (isolated) 10ga circuits (Ankor Marine wire) off my cranking battery. The Big Jon's have a circuit breaker in them that should suffice, But I wanted to doubly insure so each circuit got a marine 30amp fuse incorporated into each circuit as well. I mounted tracks on each gunnel into which I slide the downriggers, And a properly rated plug for each rigger was installed into the gunnel as well. This way I can take the riggers off the boat when not in use.
-
Fished all day, 07:00-6:00. Four hits, One king around 15 lbs came to the boat. It was only a one day trip. Green was the color, got it on a green and white spoon. Oh yeah, Primarily stayed with the fleet in 80-140 foot of water, Salmon came from about 100', 80 down on the rigger... Doing the geometry with blowback, really about 72' down.
-
- 3
-
-
Mexico/Oswego Aug 25
rswanson330 replied to Amylee's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
-
The Hard Reset, then re-defining the transducer worked. I tried it out last night and it worked flawlessly. And we caught a couple walleye, couple bass, couple slime darts and a perch all in about an hour and a half, Biggest walleye just shy of eight pounds. I didn't post it because its down here in CT. I created a document on doing the hard reset on the Lowrance HDS Gen 3, including how to back/restore up your waypoints. Some of the options can be a little tricky to find. If anybody would like it, send me a PM and I'll send it along.
-
I'm on the latest update, But me thinks I remember hitting the "reset defaults" button while up at Lake George earlier this summer. Coincidentally, that is when I first noticed the problem. I reset everything, did a hard reset, restored my waypoints and identified my transducer correctly. It didn't lock up in the driveway, I'm going to try it on our local walleye lake tomorrow evening.










