Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

dt5150's Achievements



  1. Turns out that my ap still works without the main motor running. My ap head unit was still in the old setting for the old system. Changed it to a type 1 pump and boom, works great with either motor. The feel of the steering now compared to before isn't even a comparison really. It's that drastic. Light years better. I should have done this years ago!
  2. I don't think I could put a cylinder on my kicker even if I wanted to, not enough room for it. If I have to live without ap, so be it. I'd love to have it of course, but if I don't, the vastly improved steering is still worth it.
  3. I haven't had the chance to test it again since last time, no. I work a lot and it always seems to rain on my day off! Today being no exception, rainy where I am today. I may put it in the water today if the weather clears up, without testing that again. We'll see. I went into this project not knowing of this detail about the ap, and the only time I use the ap is when trolling. I don't use the ap a ton, but it was kinda nice to have when things get busy and there's only 2 guys on the boat or when fishing solo.
  4. If there is still air in the system, I wouldn't be able to get it out. I've bled this 3 times. The last time was yesterday. Tubing run from the cylinder to the helm to form a continuous loop. Bled following the instructions and continued after that in both directions on both bleeders, left and right. No bubbles whatsoever and steering is smooth. I still need to see what it does with the main running, haven't done that yet.
  5. that's interesting.. i just finished this project today. My ap is working but it is super slow turning the outdrive. it does it in a bumpy motion, it isn't smooth. This is without the main running, but that's how I will be fishing as well. Using a kicker. My steering feel is light years better than it was with the old cable setup and the smart pilot, but if you are correct, I'll have to live without an ap when I'm fishing.. which is the only time I use it. I'll test the ap again tomorrow with the main running, see what it does.
  6. it will work like a champ. i had a 2012 superfisherman 186 that had the seastar hydro steering on the main motor. i added a merc pro kicker and tied the two together with a panther stainless connecting rod to the front of both motors. it steered beautifully.. i could turn the wheel lock to lock with one finger.
  7. slight change in plans.. materials actually. i ordered that sheet of starboard over a week ago and just yesterday i get an email from the company (boatid.com) that it is too large for ups shipment, so they canceled my order. gee thanks.. that could've been useful info a week ago when i ordered it! i looked online some more, and can order a sheet, but shipping kills it. $200-250 in shipping costs.. nope. i also called a couple local marinas that can order it, but they were both really expensive, around $600. nope... so, i went to lowes and bought a sheet of 3/8" pvc for $79. it's not my first choice, but we'll see how it works out.
  8. thanks, ordered the tubing and some elbows from sailrite. nice to be able to order short lengths! all the other hardware is on the way too. so is an ez-steer.. need to improve my kicker steering, big time. so she's back home and out of the water for a little while for upgrades.
  9. yeah those kits are crazy money, which is why i went the junk yard route. if you decide to go the serp route and need a bracket, let me know and i can see which side i have. you can have it for free.
  10. i have one side from a 350 chevy, can't remember which side, i haven't looked at it in forever. but you're welcome to it if you can use it. i don't know if the v8 stuff fits the v6 though.. they might be different. i seem to remember something about having to upgrade the heads too when doing the conversion.. mounting holes for the brackets i think. i could be totally wrong about that though, it's been a long time since i did that project (sbc swap in a jeep). i sourced all the parts from a local junk yard for cheap. i think the serp setup i used was from 1997-2001 model years if i recall correctly. but again, that was a 350 v8.
  11. if you haven't dropped the motor in yet, now would be a great time to upgrade the v-belt setup to a serpentine.
  12. yeah they are. i got a price on one of em, $3600 plus shipping!! uh.. no thanks. i found a decent price on a sheet of starboard so i've got that coming. i'll need to source some stainless or aluminum tubing and other odds and ends. i've got a fairly simple design sketched out so i'll see how it goes.
  13. it's a crestliner eagle 2450, factory hardtop.
  14. i don't want fabric. i have a drop curtain, it connects to those snaps on the back of the top. i hardly ever use it.
  • Create New...