cheeseyrider
Members-
Posts
164 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by cheeseyrider
-
I know a lot of guys pull there boats early Sept but for those that don't n continue fishing what can the fishing be like thru Sept and early Oct (first 2 wks) In the 90's Chuck Crueller captain of Rusty Charters out of Fair Haven, bless his soul cause he passed, told me early Oct steelhead are in close 100' n on top, tried it once and caught fish. Weather, wind, rain n waves can be an issue. Any input other areas of lake especially Oak/Point Breeze. Thinking of coming up first week of Oct?
-
Poked around my transom from the inside with an awl and it seems the softness is just around the starboard side where the bolster meets the transom on the inside. I'm assuming drilling small holes in the transom to look for moisture would be done on the outside at the lowest point near the drain hole? I've had this boat 13 yrs , always garage kept except for short periods outside with the Bimini ,side and front curtains and aft covered to keep out rain. Put 1000 hrs on in that time. Boat in real good shape, seats, motor etc. I'm gonna call around Oak Orchard Marinas to see if they can recommend anyone to replace the bolster and repair the transom. Can anyone recommend anyone from NY closest to Oak Orchard that I can take the boat to when I come up first week in October? .I looked at the Rot Doctor product along with System Three and believe that might work since I believe 90% of transom is solid.
-
Thanks for the info and responding. I fish out of Oak Orchard, Point Breeze. Is there anyone in that area that is skilled at repairs or assessing my damage. Thinking about coming up to the area end of Sept. ?
-
Discovered wood shelf on boat rotten almost the whole length on starboard side. My boat has the wood floor covered with vinyl. I was attempting to re-attach the vertical padded bolster that holds items placed on shelf from falling off the shelf when I discovered the rot and this white looking wet and soft fungus coming out from under vinyl. I ripped the vinyl away the whole length. Stuff looked nasty. So I need the shelf replaced and where it met the transom on top of the shelf it just started to soften the transom. Rest of transom seems fine. My cousin who is along on trip is an exterminator and knowledgeable about chemicals informed me he can get a liquid that can be brushed on wood and it will migrate and permeate the wood , kills the fungus and hardens the wood. Not looking to use it on the rotten board but thinking it may stop the transom from more damage Any one else familiar with using something like that on transoms just to stop from spreading? Liquid has to be applied to bare wood to work and takes about two weeks to work. Probably all the vinyl should be ripped up on floor and other shelf and floor and stringers looked at. About three- four years ago I had someone replace part of the floor that was soft and was suppose to fix that shelf. I don't think he did that great of a job cause another soft spot popped up on floor and had problems with shelf again. My boat is a 1990 in relatively good shape. The shelf is glassed to the side of boat and pretty sure it adds support to the hull but but don't know the technical name for it. More concerned with replacing shelf and repairing transom than floor cause I think I could handle the floor and replacing the vinyl as a winter project.. Also wondering how hard it would be to replace floor with starboard or some other material that doesn't need to be covered with vinyl. If necessary willing to take boat back to NY to have work done. I'm from Lehigh Valley and doubt there are a lot of skilled people in my area to do work. I researched old posts under Old Boat and read most of them. Any one have any thoughts or know of anyone that can do the work in eastern Pa. or the closest place in NY Thanks in advance
-
35lb Laker
cheeseyrider replied to brucehookedup's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
35lb Laker
cheeseyrider replied to brucehookedup's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
Sold / Closed Load Rite Roller Boat Trailer for Sale
cheeseyrider replied to salmonella's topic in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent
Why are you selling if I may ask? -
2014 Dominican Republic
cheeseyrider replied to Legacy's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
Looks like a black fin tuna, caught one on a trip to St Thomas. Did u get a chance to eat any tuna? -
I used the old wiring, cut the plug off, then broke off the crumbling dry rotted insulation back to the downrigger where it goes inside. Bought different sizes of shrink tubing at harbor freight, retwisted the wire, put multiple layers of shrink tubing on each wire then used larger one to cover both, then reconnected the plug with butt connectors and more shrink tubing. Alittle time consuming but worth the effort. Don't know why this is underlining
-
Oswego 8-17 and 8-18
cheeseyrider replied to CaptSpike's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
Got a Captains pac in off season 11/2012 for a steal $650, they recently replaced two net holders for free with beefed up ones. Mine was silver powder coated, they now only offer anodized. I don't think u can go wrong.
-
Thanks for all the info I should be able to figure the problem out. I ll let you know how I make out
-
I believe my tabs are Bennett, any help is appreciated, thanks
-
Have same problem with mine, boat is a 1990 so there probably on a long time. Are they worth trying to repair?
-
We were there Monday caught 8 total ,3 Lakers, 3 browns, 1salmon, 1 steel. Ran down towards catfish and the rock cliffs they call the high-rise( all towards the power plant), setup there fishing towards power plant in 25-45 water then headed out once past the rocks til hit 85ft water, put down cow bells off the bottom on two poles, ran the others for browns n steel head colors off riggers and boards. Fished parallel to shore towards five stacks staying in same water. Some boats were running along the bouys towards shore and following that line, fished long leaders even on riggers 85-100 ft back. Went back Tues morning and tried to run same program but water temp changed, was a lot colder in that area from high 30.s -40's. Day before temp was around 50-52 surface. Saw ur trailer in lot when we took out Tues. Id try to stay in the warmer water 50-52 and fish cow bells with peanut on the end. Funny the salmon came on a bluecowbell with a small blue spoon on the end instead of the peanut.
-
duckreaper I sent you a PM
-
Orleans Derby
cheeseyrider replied to Sweet Caroline's topic in Tournament Talk, Shows, Events & Seminars
I second that, I looked on the Orleans Ct site and came up empty. -
Rain or shine I sent you a PM
-
My understanding when you run copper you have to run whatever length you have on the reel out until the backing is at the tip of the pole and copper is in the water, same as lead core, you can't stop without putting out whatever you are carrying because having leadcore or copper at the tip continuously will wear out the line. I have seen leadcore just break at the tip when just putting out a few colors and leaving some on the reel, I'm new to fishing copper so please help out if this is incorrect.
-
I told the dirt bag he didn't belong on this forum as a scammer.
-
Anyone have any experience rebuiding the tilt/trim hydraulic cylinders? My resevoir keeps turning a milky color, drained it and re-filled ,same thing. Looked at the cylinders and you can see traces of oil around the end. Are they a pain to work on as opposed to buying after marked and replacing new? I know they make re-build kits and after market new. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.
-
For Sale : USA P-66 Transducer Airmar
cheeseyrider replied to stan's topic in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent
Just to set the record straight I contacted Gemeco, Airmar's branch that sells transducers and they do not carry adapters that adapt one transducer to fit another make FF, you would have to obtain a pigtail from the maker of the new unit and splice wires. My bad



