Jump to content

lyk2fish

Members
  • Posts

    330
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by lyk2fish

  1. Finally for us weekend warriors some good weather! So much to do as we all have....but I wanted to fish and off to the lake I went. Got on water about 4:30 and surface temp in low 50's. Liked what I saw for pike and eyes. Fished till dark in my usual spots and only took a few small pike......thought to myself,...Ontario is only 45 minutes so I pulled the boat and headed out. Got to lake Ontario and was greeted by a big moon and light wind. Worked a few spots to no avail and then ran into a pod at about midnight. Doubled up and swung back for a third and back to owasco I went. Reflected on a risk and reward night happy with my luck and then BAM.....10 minutes from camp I hit a deer head on with boat in tow......no swerving, just had to commit. Minimal damage to the old Yukon but put a damper on the night. Anyway, today was next chance to get out with my oldest son......temp left and water was cold again....traveled a bit and found mid 50's and it wasn't long and board went screaming with a nice breach. Got a real nice brown to the net. Couple more small lakers and eater browns then the core goes screaming. Thought another brown, ended up being a PB laker for my son. Finished off back with some small pike and pre spawn perch. Mid 50's was best, bait showing up. Boards did damage with sticks in blk/silver. Core fired once with stinger yellow jacket, but was big fish of weekend. Was nice to see the sun agian!!
  2. Great job J Fish n!!!!!! Looks like you are doing the right things. Love the bow!
  3. Got the boat out this week and set off to find some spring silver and stripes. Friday was brutal, but I launched anyway to fish a mudline that was present. Debris was a disaster and I could only troll south due to the strong NW wind. Work was endless clearing debris but was rewarded with a quality brown that took a short core. Had one other board rip but it came unglued. Finished the night about 2 inches shorter from getting pounded with waves, but had a plan for Saturday. Was joined by a friend and we set out to find him some action. Stopped and took some stripes per his request and we set out back into the mud for a chance at another quality brown. Core was quiet today but on the first pass a board went screaming followed by a leaping fish. Knew this was a great one, and we worked the boat and the fish, so I could clear the lines. I didnt say anything but I new this was a very large brown. With lines clear the battle began, and I told my friend to be patient and play the fish with the drag set right. He did a fantastic job and I was able to get his biggest brown ever caught to the net! No official weight, just the bogo scale between 15 and 16lbs. Not official but a good idea, a few quick pics, revival in the flowing live well and a great release of a great fish in that cold water. Doesn't get any better, just worked out right when it didn't have to.....very thankful. Great start to the season. Tight lines.
  4. Got out for a few days this holiday weekend. All I can say....for me it was tough. Temps down, debris heavy and a type of flea I haven't encountered before. Couldn't even get them to slide down my line to peal them off, strange. Anyway worked the upper column looking for silver and went hours in between bites. Chased what bait I could find with hooks and circled. Cores never fired both days, rigger and coppers did what few quality fish we could get. Speed at 2.6 did it for me. Whites and blues did well for colors. Still many small stocked bows hitting and being dragged. Had one good rip and my friends fought the fish for a bit then gone.......thought it might be a slack line issue with the copper......brought the line in and had a stocked rainbow shredded but still alive.....assuming a good laker took a bite and we played tug of war for a while.....crazy... For as slow as it was we still got some quality bows for our efforts....not fast but focused, and rewarded for time put in. Tight lines.
      • 8
      • Like
      • Thanks
  5. Reel Doc, yeah I thought it was velvet coming off by the looks. Trouthunter, yes I was on Owasco.
  6. Tom and Skip joined me this weekend for some late summer fishing, Friday met us with a cold front and a few storms so we started with a hardy "landfill" at Dugans and it gave us courage to go battle it out. Spread of copper, cores and riggers all produced at different times of the day but the weather was the king keeping good sized fish pinned down. Saturday we saw improvement and the guys once again saw each technique produce at certain times and saw that hunting for silver fish can be slower when it comes to bending rods. They soon saw how worth it and fun it is when you find some and they hit viciously. One great rip on the copper finally produced our first summer brown and we were on cloud nine. I would've said that was the highlight of the weekend until this morning. We were trolling through clearing fog when I saw somthing by the boat that looked a bit different....asked the guys if I was crazy.....and they confirmed.... that in the middle of a 170 foot of water was a big whitetail buck swimming by the boat.....I couldn't believe it and we watched him float and swim about 3 miles before getting back on shore.....was an incredible encounter, and a hell of a buck to boot! Fleas real bad this weekend, whites, and coppers were good colors, speed at 2.5 did the trick. Fun weekend. Will include a couple big bow pics from last Saturday. Too bad they weren't around this weekend. Tight lines.
  7. After a couple of tough weeks of fishing, today the silver turned back on. Water was 76.8 last week and I was trying everything I could with minimal results, but today the program worked. Coppers and core each had their run but the rigger stayed quiet other than dink bows an fleas. Surface temp down to 73 and the rips were happening with good jumping action again. Speed back to 2.5, orange and white were great colors today, fleas back, but manageable. Copper back on top but the short cores played well. Gonna include some pics from the last 2 weeks too including another big laker that hit the scale at 14.7......cooler weather feels goid and it's waking them back up and keeping them out of the column a little longer. Shout out to John and Cam Joe. Tight lines.
  8. Hey Big Tom, sent you a PM.
  9. Reel Doc......like any weekend warrior......love that water.....it's my therapy for sure. Anybody puts on enough time and they'll catch.....wife was with me and we had a party at 6......I didn't want to leave as I just found them it felt like, but......fortunately I was lucky enough to play the game for a bit. Sunday morning......they were gone..... Trouthunter.....most 5-7, bigger ones show later summer, you definitely get some bigger ones on Canandaigua.
  10. Well the lake is setting up good temp and color. Started where I was last weekend and 2 hours of nada.....as is so common, picked up and moved a bit. Put out full spread copper, core and rigger. Small bows and some lakers came to hand but I knew I was not where I needed to be. Started playing with leads, colors, and rigger depth, finally take a rip on a short core, burried the board and broke the line. Reset and rip again, this time nice bow. Went dead again, so I continued to work and over think like we all can. Finally at 3:30 I made an adjustment on the copper and off to the races with bows. Great jumps, and great runs, figured it out late.......but figured it out. Speedat 2.3 surface, color was still copper,orange, did get one on green/silver. Surface temp was 75, so it's warm. Copper took back the belt as the champion for the day, but caught fish on all programs. Fleas not bad, weeds better then last weekend. Good luck.
  11. Sent ya a PM Mick.
  12. Bstone, yes that’s where, north is good, less weed mats there now, coppers and cores work best for me. Riggers do ok, if fleas aren’t bad. Find you temp, set above, cover water, loud colors to trigger strikes, when you find one, don’t leave , start making big circles until bite stops, then continue your original direction on the troll, check temp regular to see where to set, not completely set up yet, be prepared to wash lures for a bit........I fished over 2 hours today before my first good rip......if you want lakers....different story, watch your finder, drop em below 60 and have some fun....good luck.
  13. Tom, yes using boards.....and fleas are there but not horrible as they were.
  14. Got a late start today with my wife. Set up out of the gate with heavy boat traffic and weed mats, manged through it, hit some clear water and started washing lures. Has been a bit slow waiting for the set up but we started to see it today. As usual a lot of slow time then BAM....board goes ripping back with a great jumper on the core. Fighting through that the rigger fires and starts bouncing, my wife gets the boat positioned with the wind and we were fighting double bows. I put mine in the holder to help with hers which was a good one. Got hers to the net and I finished mine. Chaos, but fun as my wife caught her PB rainbow. Marked the spot and did circles, bite lasted about an hour then died again. Lost a nice brown near the net, but a good batch of silver came out of the column to play for a bit. Short cores did the trick, shallow coppers only did lakers and small bows, reduced speed from 2.6 down to 2 and had all my action. Orange and copper colors were hot in that bright sun today......things are starting to set up it seems, fleas not too bad. Tight lines.
  15. Morning marinecrafts, the fish was hooked deep in it throat, the surface temp was 72 degrees which makes it very difficult to release, and the young man wanted to mount the fish as it was the biggest laker he ever caught. All other lakers and trout we caught were released, but we had to recover 2 of those lakers cause they just kept floating back up. Tough time of year for long fights and quick releases. Stillwater and mako, fish was 39.5 inches, and he will mount it. I do fish taxidermy and have been teaching this young man.....he will form it, I will paint it for him. Thanks for all the kind words everyone.
  16. Not as big as your Ontario lakers up there whaler......but for the fingers, a good one. Young man was very happy. Hop, Owasco
  17. Well a week after Jack's derby and I was able to get out with my son and his buddy. Day started slow with small browns and bows, adjusted coppers and slowed down to 2.3.......rod reefs over and I tell the boys to get it. Son's buddy jumps on it and said, it ain't no baby.......fought for a long time, thought it might be a good brown or a foul hooked laker.........when it appears, I was like, that's the biggest laker I've gotten on this lake.....called jack at southshore, he set up the scale, and we cruzed down........22lbs even on his scale.....just a beast, great day for sure!! PB for this young man.....I love this place!!!!!!
  18. Don’t scratch your head, .........apply it, and you will have success.......any method of getting a lure in front of a feeding fish can work, I know many including myself that do this type of program or at least add it to the spread with success. Try it knowing your dive chart and it will work. Part of the fishing adventure is coming up with ideas and trying them, many don’t work, but when you find the one that does.........it’s all bent rods and screaming drags from there. Go get em!
  19. Awesome, way to go........looks like a great time
  20. Reel Doc, sounds like we had similar days, water temp similar, we did catch a small stocked brown, shoulda got a picture, but got it back in the water as quick as I could. Snagged some bait as well. Hit pockets of active fish and then nada for a bit.reduced my spread and started circling like summer patterns I run and started hitting a few more. Couple of great days the weather cooperated for sure.
  21. Great weekend. Left the fields and got to camp Saturday when the weather broke. Got my last dock sections in to give room for my buddies new boat, the " chuck Wheaton walleye chaser" out of western NY. He bought this 86 islander off chucks family and although he didn't know the man, we both saw how meticulous he was with this boat and what a fisherman he must have been. We splashed down for tribute.....took some time to figure things out but we made a good Saturday evening and Sunday out of it. Boat ran perfectly and was an honor to fish aboard a boat that was such a big part of one mans life. Fish still tight, and I threw it all at them in a 6 rod spread. Adjusted copper and cores and kept the riggers shallow. Caught a mixed bag of both cold water and warm water species.....greatest suprise was all the post spawn big perch that were eating sticks and spoons. Bait starting to set up. Adjusted speed from 2-2.5. Monday my sister joined me, and with her new license, she wanted to fish.....again mixed bag, she manged the copper and cores well and didn't lose any, I'm sure her arm feels it today, especially after a hard fighting bow took multiple runs. Many rec boats made it a bit tough, but a great day with family none the less. Greens and blues did well this weekend, circling got the few silvers we landed, not fast or furious but lots of fun on a weekend of remembrance and tribute. Tight lines.
  22. Ha ha ha , yes whaler, I keep the drags light, the eyes give a couple rips on the head shakes but the browns and bowfin are definitely more aggressive that’s for sure.
  23. I know, I know....... I said my last trip was the final for the season, but for the few of us that chase the night bite for walleye, you know that the sight of a bent rod with a glow tip and a ripping drag is one addiction that is hard to suppress. With that said, I found myself out and about again lastnight. Water warmed up to low 60's in tight and bait is showing up.......started the evening with a few browns, bass, and a bowfin......that was a first for me......wind picked up as evening went on and the bite exploded with a mixed bag of browns and eyes. Amazing with bait present that the bite was so aggressive. Speed ranged between .08-1.5 again with wind adjusting the shore currents. Blk/silver was the star of show again as fish were spitting up alewife in the live well. Had to use the trolling motor to keep the bow tight to shore as the south wind was pushing me out. East wind should cool water a bit and extend it I hope, till the tight lines, and be safe.
  24. Got back out for a final eye trip on the Big O. Water temp still close to last week at 59 in tight. Fish not concentrated like last week but a steady pick of eyes and bass, no browns this trip either but I did hear some pre dusk fish were taken. Ran slow again tonight at. .08- 1.0 and did constant fish, nothing crazy but enough to keep you awake. Blk/ silver are still producing as I'm sure are primary colors for anyone that fishes this gold. Called it at about 2 with a nice limit of fish and look forward to trolling season as this water sets up. Bait still not present in heavy numbers but I'm sure it wont be long now with water temps rising. Tight lines.
  25. Great looking fish, sounds like a fun morning!
×
×
  • Create New...