Jump to content

camomanbg

Professional
  • Posts

    191
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by camomanbg

  1. 😊👠Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  2. My dad actually sent his Primos blind back to primos after some "weather" destroyed a couple hubs and one of the poles. They fixed it up, cleaned it and sent it back! We were very pleased. It held up to that snow this fall too. Just had to pop the roof back up and it was good to go.
  3. Here's a good example of a real life situation. Even though the mountain lion isn't considered livestock, the attitude would be the same. I'd shot, a lion would be investigated to find out its origin but you won't get in trouble. I saw mention of them being on an endangered list but the Lions that one inhabited the NE are actually on the extinct list or there is strong evidence to put it on the list but as is common, there might be hesitation. http://www.oneidadispatch.com//general-news/20141124/pair-bag-buffalo-near-munnsville Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  4. That would be cool! Tannero, if you want a ride I live in Lima also.
  5. Wildlife pathology with Ward Stone was one of my favorite classes in college!Sent from my QMV7B using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  6. Re-read my post folks! Dawsonscreek, in a couple weeks may be able to shed some new light on the info. If I really had to I could go to my storage unit and dig up my folders and actually cite all the peer review journals an scientific papers that I used in my research. To elaborate a little more on the home range of the mountain lion. The adirondack park itself is large enough to host a mountain lion or a couple but you need to look at the life history of these animals. They are solitary and elusive, and choose to live away from human activity. If you look at areas of the adirondack park that are contiguously "wilderness" (meaning no roads, houses, towns, etc) there are very few areas that are near the 350 sq. mi. that is the home range of a male lion. The females can live in about half that land but those areas don't usually overlap (except during breeding season), so you would need roughly 500 sq. mi. of wilderness area for a breeding pair. A male may tolerate some overlap of a females territory, maybe even multiple females. Nonetheless, they don't readily mix and live together. Yes, the possibility of one passing through is out there but unlikely. An animal traveling from North Dakota to the NE region is such a fluke its unlikely to happen again. As mentioned above, there will always be the animals bought on the black market and released when they get to be too much to deal with for the idiot that thought it would be cool to raise them. Most of those people get busted by the authorities before the animals have a chance to get out or be released. I saw above someone ask the question about how do we think coyotes got here.....is that a real question? Everyone that has this attitude that the NYSDEC is this big, secretive agency that does stuff behind the back of the general public are just ignorant or selfish. They think the NYSDEC is doing harm based on their own personal opinion and they are too naive to look at the big picture. The amount of red tape and bureaucracy that they have to go through to spend money or enact a project is staggering. If you think they can pull of something like stocking new animals without it getting out, you need to step back and take a look at the big picture while keeping reality in mind. They have enough trouble keeping the current programs running. For the record, I have seen a mountain lion..in Montana. It followed us down the mountain after we watched two giant bull elk posture and intimidate each other in a clear cut until got dark and never got a shot. Try walking backwards down a mountain in the dark for a mile and half! It never got more than a few hundred yards from us, it was just eyes sneaking along through the blowdowns watching us the entire way back to the truck. Most likely he was just protecting his hunting grounds from intruders.
  7. I researched this topic in pursuing my wildlife management degree and it was the topic of my final debate in an environmental politics class. Think about it this way, the home range of one, that's right ONE singular mountain lion is roughly the size of the entire Adirondack Park. Take away the infrastucture and development within the park and that area is even smaller. They are very elusive and timid animals by nature, so they wouldn't tolerate living in such a confined space where contact with humans would happen so frequently. Then you have the issue of there not being enough room for a breeding pair, and certainly not their offspring. You can also take in to consideration that mountain lions would greatly disrupt the natural checks and balances that our wildlife have now. NYSDEC barely has enough money to function at it's current capacity, so the likelihood of them secretly stocking or even perpetuating the idea of mountain lion's in NY is ZERO. Yes, that one that was killed in CT/NH/MA (wherever it was) did possibly slip through here and that's all that will ever happen in NY regarding mountain lions. There might be a few cases of a captive one getting out or being released by irresponsible people but they won't be wild. Just as the few wolves that have been shot in NY have been captive escapees or releases. I normally don't even entertain the topic enough to argue but it's monday and I'd rather be deer hunting so replying to this is better than doing work. The answer to your question on shooting one is YES, mountain lion's do not live in NY state so they are not covered under the game laws. So, go ahead and shoot it! When you do you will find that it was captive at some point or in a crazy second chance scenario it will have been a wandering young male from somewhere far, far away. I wouldn't put any money on you shooting a mountain lion though. A picture on a friends phone is just that, most likely a picture from another state if it is even a real picture.
  8. Egg/Insect eater, Cuckoo clocks are commonly made of wood from the black forest, Cuckoo is not a football team but they are fairly rare so you'd have to go long to find them. They usually have long tails too. Not sure about the shiner in the mud though....
  9. Makes me think Cuckoo
  10. As mentioned above, if you are setup properly you do not need to have your fletchings or vanes aligned with your blades.
  11. Nauti said it! If you are tuned properly, you should have no problem shooting a fixed blade. It's also mainly about shot placement....remember that. Some fixed are better than others (they fly more consistently), and I say that from experience. I've done my homework and testing with my setup and I've had great luck with G5 Montecs flying just like my field points. The QAD Exodus fly just as good too. I switched last year from the Montec to the Exodus only because they have a slightly bigger cutting diameter. I liked that I could put my G5's on a whetstone to resharpen, but its just as easy to replace the blades of an Exodus.
  12. Nockturnals all the way! I use them and I also work somewhere where we sell both Nockturnal and Lumenock. The lumenocks come back regularly with issues such as not turning on, or sporadic function, not lasting very long, etc. The nockturnals have just been a good quality product, hence the reason they are on my arrows. So, yes I use them. Yes, they are worth every penny. Nockturnals are the best. The only issue with them is you have to turn them off by pushing the plunger back up, which I use the tip of a field point, broadhead (depending on style), or a pocket knife. I've used a stick, I've used a ton of things, it's really not an issue for me. The advantage of nockturnals is that they are reliable, consistent, and durable. The advantage of having a lighted nock is obviously quick recognition of arrow placement, finding an arrow after the shot (or even the deer if it doesn't pass through). One thing that people don't think of usually is follow through. It is important to follow through while shooting a bow. Having that laser beam coming out of your bow will keep your eye fixed on the arrow until it hits the target and that will in turn lower the chance of you dropping your arm at the shot. You want to watch your arrow through your sights all the way to the target and keep your arm up. When I'm setting up a new archer or someone with a new bow and I see they have an issue with follow through, this is one way I can get them to consistently follow through. Most people I just have to explain they need to focus on the target until the arrow hits, but if they are having problems, a lighted nock helps. I know it helps me follow through. I also had one on an arrow for 3D league over the winter so I shot it at least 7-8x/week for three months, and I left it on over night more than once and the thing still lights up. It isn't the brightest one I have, but it still turns on. Unlike Chris, I haven't had any issues with cleaning off the nocks and reusing them.
  13. Check this out. Pretty crazy way of transferring fish. http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5670825 Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  14. Sorry, screwed up the attachment. Here is the flier for the event.
  15. Hey everyone, Don't wait until the last minute to get your stuff ready for hunting season. Traditions Archery in Henrietta is having a big sale on Saturday. They will be giving away 3 bows and a crossbow. There will be manufacturer representatives there with good deals on their products also. I help out during the busy season and I can tell you that all the bow hooks in the back room are almost full! So don't wait...it'll only mean a bigger line to wait at the end of to get your stuff tuned up, repaired, or setup. This sale day will be a great chance to pick up everything from bows and all imaginable accessories to scents for the upcoming season.
  16. Anyone have suggestions for someone to look over a Mercury 15hp 4stk near Conesus Lake? The motor is about 4yrs old but was only used twice right when it was bought and it has just been sitting outside unprotected on the boat for 3years now. I want to have it looked over before I try to run it. Thanks Brian
  17. That sounded a little too much like you shouldn't care. I quoted blue green because it's really cyanobacteria. Blue-green algae isn't all bad. It's always in lakes but at times it can "bloom" when conditions that promote reproduction are present. Hopefully, it will be gone by the weekend. It needs a good wind or currents to stir it up and break up the he build up near the shoreline. It most commonly will cause a rash but it can make you feel sick too, especially if you ingest it. Pets can get sick or get a rash too, so pay attention to the pooch if you have one. I don't think there is a problem with eating fish, just rinse off the fillets and don't cook them with skin on or any of the other crap like belly meatier heads attached. Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  18. The wind pushes all the "blue-green" algae to the north end and whichever side it's blowing towards. It'll dissipate in a few days. It's nothing major, it will cause a rash but if you are fishing you'll be fine and it shouldn't be that big of a deal by the time you get here. Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  19. Anyone have a suggestion for a fishing guide for late July in the areas of either Talkeetna, Anchorage, or Seward. A friend is heading up there and wants to go out for a day and try to catch some salmon.
  20. I'm going to try and get a Mercury 15HP Four Stroke going after sitting outside for the past 3yrs or so. The guy who had it hasn't run it since 3 summer ago. What can I expect to have to do to get this thing running? Impeller, Plugs, ???? I'm guessing its around a 2008-ish model.
  21. We were setup outside channel by 6:30 and started fishing East. Went 7/9 by 11am. Not as hot as we were hoping, but not a bad day. Mixed veggies spoon 50-75' back on the rigger took 3 whacks and the rest were off the boards on a variety of sticks. Orange/gold, orange/white, black/gold... You get the idea. All hits came between the bay and Webster Park. We pushed on towards Hedges only to find a bunch of clear water and turn around, not hits til we passed Webster Park again. The bag consisted of 2 decent browns, 2 cookie cutters, a chunky 10-12# laker, a skippy coho, and a skippy steelhead that whacked an orange stickbait as I was skipping it across the surface when we picked up just outside the channel. We may not have boated a record number of fish or any giants but it felt DAMN good to be back out there! Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  22. This video is great! I wonder how many kids that play video games 24/7 would want to experience an adrenaline rush like this...
  23. Anyone have a report for the lakeshore ponds around Rochester?
  24. Thanks Les! He's capable of making a hike. I also realize that the perch have been elusive this year. I just thought I'd throw it out there. We don't have a flasher either, so his method is to just fish around the crowds and try to land on em. He never went today, he's headed out tomorrow and Saturday though.
  25. Anyone want to partner up on Thursday (tomorrow) to try for Perch on Canandaigua? My dad wants to go but has never fished the lake before, so I thought it would be cool to try and find him someone that might know about access and how to locate fish over there. I'm not familiar with the spots that were mentioned in an earlier post. I'd settle for any info even if no one wants to go out.
×
×
  • Create New...