service experince

Just wanted to warn my fellow fisherman to beware of doing business with Ricks Marine on Rt.64 in Bristol and Power Marine Service in Canandaigua. I left my 2 motors, a 1996 Evinrude 225 and a 1996 Evinrude 9.9hp last December for service. The 225 had internal problems and the 9.9 would stall after running for an hour. The quote (verbal) I got to fix the big motor was 3K to $3500by Ricks Marine and $4500 max by Power Marine. After nearly 4 months of waiting I am finally told all is fixed and the bottom line is $7100 total. What I am getting for this sum is two pistons, one rod, one crank bearing and carb kits on the 225 and assorted seals and gaskets on the 9.9. I feel this is excessive and way beyond what was quoted but their response is tough...take it or leave it. I have even been threatened with a mechanics lien and Ricks Marine has denied ever giving a quote that low. His comment has been "prove it". Not once during the repair did anyone contact me about possible cost overruns. Anyone out there have any experience with this type of repair? Is it way out of line? They are holding the boat until payment and I am missing all the spring fishing.

Never dealt with them. I've used RAS for my Johnson stuff, he is very through. Not the easiest to deal with as he has his (owner) own opions, but it is fixed right, for the most part at a fair price, usually less than quoted. I bought the boat from Bryce & after dealing with them for minor warranty/deal issues I'm glad it doesn't have a Merc, or I'd be driving. I or friends/relatives have also dealt with McMillian, Pelican Point & Silver Lake all are very good & have been honest.