-
Posts
191 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by camomanbg
-
It was a quick fix and only about $15 more than the cap itself. 3 screws, a pair of hose clamps, and a ground wire and it was replaced. It makes it easy when you can just simply remove a panel off the inside wall and get at the fill hose clamps. 10min job
-
FYI...I had to replace the whole deck fill since the threads from 1978 wouldn't match anything they currently sell on the market.
-
Thanks! I got one at West Marine last night but the threads don't match.....you'd think that would be universal [ Post made via Android ]
-
Does anyone in the Rochester area know where I could find a deck fill gas cap like this one? I just need the screw in part....yeah, it got left on the gunwale at the gas station and fell off somewhere down the road I guess I should have screwed the keeper chain back down a long time ago, but I didn't.
-
Sounds fun!
-
GoPro going through a school of bait fish on Lake Ontario.
camomanbg replied to Nemesis's topic in Fishing Videos
Awesome, thanks for posting this! I have been waiting for a video to show a bait ball. It would be cool to have a split screen showing what was on the FF at the same time. You know how it is, watching your screen and seeing the riggers go right through a huge pile of bait with no hits....makes you start to wonder what's going on down there. Brian -
No, I was watching close and as soon as it ticked I knew the depth. So even over 200fow it still would be down only 78ft. [ Post made via Android ] I think he was referring to the slope of the bottom. As in, if you hit bottom with your wire rod (which is somewhere near 200' behind the boat, you were reading the graph 200' south of where the line hit bottom. On that note, unless there is a crazy drop off in Sodus 200' isn't going to make more than a 1' or so difference in depth. That make sense?
-
That's right! Otoliths are actually round(ish) calcifications in the "ear". They have to extract them and then slice them very thin and count the growth rings. That would be the best way to age one. It may take some extra effort but you could probably get at them from inside the mouth since you are planning on doing a skin mount. Congrats on that awesome fish! Brian
-
For a marina with experienced fisherman in the bay that are targeting stripers in the fall start contacting Marinas in Deale, MD or around the NAS Pax River base area. Lots of stiper fisherman out of there. The season ends in early-mid December but that late season is a great time to catch the big ones. Tom Heacock (Foolish Pleasure Charters-410 804-8511) is a great guy to talk to. He has recently downsized his operation but he is very knowledgeable.
-
I'll post this as a heads-up and hopefully an answer for myself and others. I've been using the Rhys Davis heads as well as another brand I can't think of the name. They come in a white package either with a plastic box around the rig or just in a plastic ziploc bag. Got them over at the slippery sinker...Mason might be the name? Anyway, I have been having trouble getting the line to stay when I adjust it to the length of the hook. Out of maybe 10-20 tries, I was only able to get it to stay a couple of times. I did this by jamming a toothpick in the holes on the top and back of the head but those holes for the line are so small it is really hard to get the toothpick to stay in there. I've considered making a loop around the red "toothpick" that holds the meat in but I'm too afraid I'm going to compromise the stregth of the line when a fish hits it. I've seen guys actually put the hook in the meat strip but when I do it the result is always way too much roll. Brian
-
Salmon Strikes! - Downrigger Footage
camomanbg replied to TheFishFinders.TV's topic in Fishing Videos
That is awesome! I love the sync'd up split screen too! -
daiwa accudepth 47lc
camomanbg replied to Outcast189's topic in Questions About Trout & Salmon Trolling?
I just set one up this season also. I put 1000' of 19 strand torpedo wire on it. No backing needed. I think 950+ actually fit on, just shy of 1000'. I had it spooled at a shop where they could keep a ton of pressure on the spool and go real slow, so I didn't have to let it all out before using it. I haven't had any issues. I am liking the torpedo wire, it's really pliable. Come to think of it my reel is an Accudepth 47LC plus...not sure how that is different. The reason to let it all out in the lake or to keep a lot of tension on it when spooling it on is so that when you do put it under a lot of pressure with a dipsy (and then dipsy and fish) the wire won't dig into the wire still on the spool and cause a bunch of problems. If you spool it yourself, whoever is holding the spool should make it almost impossible for you to reel it in....it needs to be that tight. -
2012 Sodus Bay Healing Waters Salmon Slam - August 4th
camomanbg replied to TOP SECRET's topic in Open Lake Discussion
Ok, I was gonna sit here at the laynch for a few more minutes but everyone's up and the bass boats are launching already. See ya soon!!! [ Post made via Android ] -
2012 Sodus Bay Healing Waters Salmon Slam - August 4th
camomanbg replied to TOP SECRET's topic in Open Lake Discussion
This is going to be an amazing event! I am really looking forward to being a part of something so cool and to meeting all of you guys from LOU. Brian -
It may be a good idea to find someone to go out with and get some hands-on experience. It is much easier to see and do it than just read about a lot of the methods for trolling. Check the trade a trip/open seat forum on here or see about doing a "learning trip" with a charter boat. Like Bazookajoe said, there is a LOT of reading that you can do on here.....this website is one of the best resources for outdoor info that I've ever seen. Good luck and welcome to the world of trout and salmon fishing!
-
I-Bay 7/14
camomanbg replied to camomanbg's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
It is! I think I burned through a whole tube of sunscreen! No sunburn for me though! We let the guests dictate when we went in. They would have stayed til dark. I would have too actually but we did have a bbq to get to. Having steady action makes it easy to loose track of time too. -
Fishing Report Your Name / Boat Name: Bahtenda ============== TRIP OVERVIEW ============== Date(s):7/14 Time on Water:5:30-4:00 Weather/Temp: Hot and Sunny Wind Speed/Direction: none then NNW Waves: 0 building to 1-2' Surface Temp: Location: LAT/LONG (GPS Cords): =============== FISHING RESULTS =============== Total Hits: 22 Total Boated:16 Species Breakdown:Kings, Steelies Hot Lure: Mag Bloodynose Trolling Speed: 2.2-2.8 SOG Down Speed: Boat Depth: 80-220 Lure Depth: 30-100 ==================== SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS ==================== We took out my friends co-worker and his 12yo son and hit the water first thing and started to setup in 85'. I put meat off the balls on both riggers and sent them 70' and 50' to start. I ran free sliders off of both with a Mag 42nd and a small glo frog. Before I could get the first wire out we had both riggers fire with skipper kings on the meat rigs. Almost had a double and missed a 3rd hit in the same time frame. Started our troll North and got the wires out 125 and 160 to start. I then wanted to run a 10 color off the planer board and asked the kid to pick a spoon to put on it. He chose a mag bloodynose and I threw it on. I don't think I've ever put that spoon in the water before so I was excited to try something new. While we were passing over the 135-140 area the port rigger fired with a screamer. The kid then sat down and fought his biggest fish ever a nice 14-16lb king. Next up was the leadcore screaming line over 180'...the dad got his biggest fish ever too...a 22-24# fish. The leadcore would fire many more times with kings ranging from 8-15lbs. We had a period of time around mid day where we missed 6 hits on the rigger in a row. Around 1:30 after swinging out to 220 we headed back in shallower and when we hit 180 area the deep rigger down 100' fired with a screamer. Unfortunately it got in the wire and broke off it felt like it was gonna be the big fish of the day (doesn't it always when you don't get em?). We decided after that to point it towards the bay and work in as shallow as possible. We picked up a few small steelies througout the day on meat rigs and one on a white green dot spinny with a white fly. Only two hits all day on the wires and I was trying all different depths with them. When we hit the 90' area the screen lit up with bait and marks. We saw a lot of marks on the bottom and the kid wanted to catch a laker so I dropped one of the riggers and pulled the throttle back a bit. I had a free slider on with a lemon ice NK28 on that rigger. As soon as we saw our next mark the wire takes off and we drop it. Oh well, it was about time to start pulling them anyway! As soon as that wire was in the boat the deep rigger fires...but it's taking drag! The dad ended up landing a 12-14lb king on the free slider. The dad and son were super appreciative and they left with tired arms. One of the best moments was when the leadcore released, the kid grabbed it and the fish ran some line and popped up on the surface way back there. He just said, "this isn't fair" with a big smile on his face! Couldn't have asked for a better day! Here's a few pics.
-
I-Bay 7/12
camomanbg replied to camomanbg's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
Oh yeah, we marked a few small schools of bait and a couple fish but other than that the screen was pretty blank....for what that's worth.
