-
Posts
246 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by jimalbert
-
Do you guys specifically use leader material for your trolling fly leaders? Just wondering who used regular line vs. leader material. In my experience fly fishing, leader material is more abrasion resistant but I dont know if I could ever tell a huge difference between regular line and leader. I used to use Rio tippet and maxima to tie my own tapered leaders. Now I have some pline fluoro leader material as well as some vicious in 20,30, and 50 pound but that stuff is super stiff. I know alot of guys use big game, but is that leader as well? Thanks, Jim
-
Simple question... or so i say... ball bearing or non ball bearing swivels? Only question I am asking is because I bought a pretty good quality non ball bearing swivel and it seems to be working pretty decent. Heres a link to what I bought.. http://www.seastriker.com/styled-16/index.html The ones I ordered are the non ball bearing type with coastlock at the bottom of that link. What are all of you guys using? I guess one of the reasons I pose this question is because if you look at the Walker Deeper Diver 124's or the protrolls or any other flasher they are all non ball bearing. Thoughts? Thanks, Jim
-
Sold / Closed Box of spoons
jimalbert replied to Pennfish's topic in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent
-
I am partial to my Garmin Echomap 73dv. 2d sonar/down vu sonar/and chartplotter. Internal GPS and I love the unit. I was always a lowrance guy but change to this Garmin and I am not going to look back. ANother great thing is how fast it acquires GPS. They had it on sale at cabelas for 699 plus a 100 dollar rebate. Good Deal.
-
Glad it all worked out for you. I thought it was a fuel issue. Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app
-
Well, I haven't received a response from the folks at Precison Trolling but I would say they are pretty close to 20% less than 30lb Power Pro.
-
Well u should still be able to Try my theory of choking it. If the motor speeds up when you choke it it's a fuel delivery issue. If it bogs down tour getting good fuel.
-
Can anyone tell me if the Precision Trolling Guide App or latest paper release has data for the Deeper Diver 124 that was manufactured by Walker and now owned by FishHawk? Im going to be running some 65lb Power Pro Braid Divers in conjunction with the Deeper Diver 124's. I would assume that I would need about 20% more line out with 65lb vs the 30lb they have on their chart but I like accuracy. I would like to purchase one or the other if they have those components listed. Thanks, Jim
-
Just an update... Boat runs just fine with brand new gas.. .and apparently the old stuff wasnt that bad because my buddy is still driving his mustang... hahaha... thanks for all of the help guys. On another note I have been using Startron in the new gas. Thanks, Jim
-
It sure does sound like a fuel delivery issue. Is it a tiller or remote operated motor? If it is remote with a control box you may want to try to choke the engine when it is slowing down. That surely will tell you if it a fuel delivery problem. Jim
-
Thanks Nick... and Fishy. I may have to order some flies and have them shipped to my friends house as I will be coming 17W/96/224/14 and Elmira will be a little bit out of the way for me. I will definately check out Fishy Business for some spoons though. Nick: I want to get out with you sometime in the near future but this weekend is the derby and I figured you would be tied up with that. So I am going to wing it and see what happens until I can get out with you and pick up some of your knowledge. I think I finally am getting to the point where I wont have to blow money every day thinking of something else I need but I know how it goes. Thanks for all of the help once again. Jim
-
Can anyone tell me if there are any shops local to Seneca Lake where I can grab A-Tom-Mik flies and Finger Lakes Tackle Trolling Spoons? I will be coming up this weekend to try this Lake Trout trolling thing and would like to grab a few. I dont plan on fishing the derby but since i spent all this money on equipment I figured I may as well bring the boat and give it a whirl. Thanks in advance. Jim
-
Thanks Fire... I used the spreadsheet to figure it out but if anyone really cares or plans on doing this with their reels in the future, here are the results. I was able to put 435' of 30LB Ande Mono backing and a full 300 yards of 65lb Power Pro braid with just enough room to fit a leader on if I wish. It calculated out to 97% of capacity. Just thought I would share in the event someone was trying to find out quickly. Jim
-
Anyone know how much mono I can fit on a Magda 45 for backing in conjunction with 300 yards of 65lb power pro as my main line? Thanks in advance. Jim
-
Nevermind... They were bought out by Fishhawk. I contacted them and they gave me the info for 30lb braid. Heres the link if anyone is interested: http://lurkfishing.com/rundown-disco-diver-charts.html thanks again. Jim
-
Anyone have a dive chart for the Walker 124's used in conjunction with braid? I would assume they're pretty close to wire but I cant find anything except for 30lb Mono. At any rate im looking for 65lb power pro on the Walker Deeper Diver. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Jim
-
-
Cheap starter Rods and Line Counter Reels.
jimalbert replied to jimalbert's topic in Tackle and Techniques
Thanks guys... I really appreciate the help getting started. I just picked up 4 Okuma Magda 45's and 4 Okuma classic rods to go with them as well as two 10'6 dipsy rods. I still need to order reels for the dipsys but I am off to a decent start. I also have a cabelas depthmaster tournament interflow rod and reel with a digital counter that I just picked up from a family member. I thought that the interflow rod would be good for a wire dipsy because there arent any guides to worry about getting chewed up. Thoughts?? -
Seneca Lake downriger/dipsy setup help
jimalbert replied to jimalbert's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Unfortunately, I will not be up this weekend. I have 2 little league games and cant get away. My next possible trip up will most likely be over Memorial Day. I will try to give you a buzz later in the day. Thanks, Jim -
Seneca Lake downriger/dipsy setup help
jimalbert replied to jimalbert's topic in Finger Lakes Discussion
Thanks for the advice. I am going to give Nick a call sometime today hopefully. I realistically was just looking for line size, dipsy colors, etc. to make some equipment purchases. I will most likely try to replace the cannon easytroll with something more suitable. I think my friend who owns the house actually was on a charter with nick a few times and believe it or not that was my plan from the get go. Get out for real world experience with someone who knows what theyre doing. -
I would like to preface this post by saying that I am a catch and release fisherman and I personally feel more comfortable giving information to strangers when I know they aren't going to be raping the lake that I enjoy my time on. I need some help with downrigger/dipsy setups for Seneca. A friend of mine has a vacation home on the west side of Seneca and we are there quite a bit hitting wineries/breweries and such as well as just hanging out by the fire to relax. I was always a bass fisherman and traded in the bass boat for a Starcraft Fishmaster 1961 that is in immaculate condition and would like to start trolling for Lakers/Land Locked/Bows. I have very little knowledge when it comes to this type of fishing. The knowledge I do have has been given to me by reading threads on this forum and by people like yourself having the decency to call me and talk for a few minutes. The boat came with 2 downriggers. A cannon Uni-troll HP and a Cannon Easy-Troll. From what I understand, the Uni-Troll should be able to handle weights in excess of 15 pounds but the Easy-Troll will be limited to about 8 pounds? Is this statement pretty fair? My friend that has the house said that the times he has been out on guided trips, the fish were primarily caught in the 80-130 feet range. I understand this will change based on bait location so I dont know if that Easy Troll will work out that well since an 8 pound weight will be pretty light for 130 feet, right? I will be buying a few downrigger line counter reel/rod combos to get started. What are you guys spooling up on these combos? Mono, braid??? I am going to purchase a bunch of spoons in alewife patterns along with the standard chrome/black chrome/blue combos and I will also pick up a bunch of flashers to drag behind the weights. Speaking of weights, 15 pounders pretty suitable? in torpedo or shark styles? I would also like to drag some dipsy's in conjunction with the downriggers. What do you suggest for dipsy size and color? What trolling rod/reel combos do you guys use? I assume mono is a no-no because of getting the dipsy to release? Im sure I forgot a bunch of stuff but anything you could do to steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I just threw a Garmin EchoMap 73dv on this thing so I should be good with charts and sonar. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Thanks, Jim
-
All good names guys.. I appreciate the responses. I actually thought about naming it after my daughter "Jordyn Marie" but then I would feel bad because my son didnt get part of it. Im sure my wife would be happier if I did name it after my daugher rather than "tipsy troller" or something that the coast guard would see as an easy target. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
-
Thanks for all of the advice.. One of my redneck buddies says "Lemme pull my truck down and call my girl to come over and you can put it in our tanks". So there it was, ample opportunity to get that crap out of my boat tank and even more opportunity to make fun of him if something goes wrong with the gas. hahha..
-
-
I forgot to mention that it was summerized and winterized each of those years that it wasn't on the water. It just never saw time on the water




