Jump to content

jimalbert

Members
  • Posts

    246
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jimalbert

  1. I have the standard and am completely happy with it. All black and non-glossy finish. The all weather would be a nice option as well. I won a mossberg patriot and would recommend it because it shoots extremely well but the bolt is extremely sloppy. Nice looking gun though. If you reload shoot me a PM and I will give you load data that is proven through the patriot. Jim
  2. Les is right. I should have specified when I used the DV language that I dont use that at all for trolling, only when bass fishing and looking for structure. My 73DV also has chirp as I think most new generation sonar do. I personally dont think chirp would be a necessity for trolling though. Jim
  3. I shoot nothing but a 708 anymore. Unless I make a trip out west for something heavy. I have used it on deer, elk, pigs, and bear. Mild recoil and with the great bullets made today with controlled expansion that retain so much weight I dont think there is a better all around caliber. If you reload there is minimal powder use as well. My 10 year old son can shoot mine all day and I just picked him up a ruger american in 708. Great gun for the money and a much better bolt than any of the other entry level rifles. I think I may pick one up for myself instead of dragging my beautiful browning micro hunter out it the woods and scratching it up. Jim
  4. PM Sent.. I think I have a few for ya.
  5. Im no guide. But I have been around the block for a long time (mostly fishing Bass tournaments) from the Thousand Islands to Florida and have used a bunch of different sonars from multiple manufacturers. Now I troll in the Finger Lakes and on Ontario. I can honestly say from a pure performance and customer service standpoint that I would seriously consider the Garmin products. The service from Lowrance is sub-par and any time I called Garmin for support they were over the top helpful. I purchased a Garmin 73dv (it has traditional sonar as well as Down Imaging) for my helm and I love it. I then purchased a small Striker unit with DV for the bow of my boat when I bass fish occasionally. When I received the Striker one of the pins of the power cable were damaged and they shipped one to me overnight free of charge. Just my .02 Jim
  6. Looks Great! Good Job... Im going to do the same thing at some point in time to my Starcraft Fishmaster, but I have vinyl and its going to be tricky! All of the vinyl on my boat is wrapped around the edges of the metal of course so therefore many rivets will need to be drilled out to access certain areas. Id love to talk to someone who has actually done it on a similar boat. Nice Job! Jim
  7. I wish I could. The area in the back of my FishMaster isn't deep enough to put a size 31 back there. I put the biggest battery in that I could fit.
  8. Thanks Mac. I troll with my I/O and trolling bags as I can get low enough speeds with it but the same principal applies. a 9.9 or 15 is in my near future though. Always nice to have a backup out there. Jim
  9. Separate Battery for Downriggers I just picked up some Walker Tournament Electric Riggers and want to get them mounted to the boat and wired up before its time to actually use them. Do you guys run them off of a separate battery? I currently have a size 24 or 27 for the cranking battery (Motor, electronics, bilge, lights, radio etc) are connected to this battery. I also have (2) size 27's for my bow mount Powerdrive. I was thinking about installing a bigger alternator and running another set of leads off the alternator to a 4th battery for the downriggers. Do you guys think its necessary to do this or is running them to the deep cycle good enough? If I do throw another battery in there I will need to relocate my on board charger. Thanks, Jim
  10. Fish Hawk Probe How are you guys attaching your weights to the fish hawk probe? I use 12lb torpedo weights and using the the break away chain seems a bit sketchy. Any ideas? What are you guys doing? THanks, Jim
  11. PM Sent
  12. Sold to SteelyDan. Thanks Guys..
  13. Im in Lehighton, PA. but I get around quite a bit to many different areas. I would be interested in trading for and throwing a little cash in for a trolling speed/temp setup as well. Jim
  14. Cannon Uni-troll HP Manual Riggers For Sale: Cannon Unitroll 10 HP manual downriggers with 4' adjustable booms. Excellent condition as you can see from the pictures. Cable was replaced last spring and there is 250' on each of them. There are also 4 Swivel Bases. $350.00 or best offer. The only reason I am selling is because I bought electric Walkers. Jim
  15. FishHawk Anyone selling a FishHawk? Im looking for speed/temp probe. Thanks, Jim
  16. Hey Guys... Merry Christmas. I am thinking about buying either remote wireless steering or an autopilot for the boat. She is a Starcraft Fishmaster 196 with a Mercruiser I/O. This boat is fairly light and in rough lake conditions is thrown off course quite easily which prompted me to rethink an autopilot and lean toward a remote wireless steering system such as the intellisteer unit. The other benefit of the intellisteer is that an autopilot controller can be added later if I choose to decide that is in my best interest. Anyone have any experience with the Intellisteer products? Thanks, Jim
  17. Thanks Everyone... I am purchasing two from bottom-feeder. Thanks Again. Jim
  18. Anyone have any electric downriggers for sale? Thanks, Jim
  19. This isn't necessarily when I'm trolling but when I occasionally go bass fishing or I'm just out hanging with the family. I'll look into the spacer. Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  20. Starcraft Fishmaster, although it has a full windshield. Theres someone selling a Superfisherman thats very nice in the classifieds. http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/45697-starcraft-superfisherman/ Jim
  21. Before I go too far let me start by saying that my father in law is probably the best Merc/Mercruiser mechanic in Pennsylvania. He rebuilt and re-painted my carb, changed the distributor cap, plugs, and wires. We also changed the fuel filter at the end of last year. I have a problem where I get to the lake, start the boat (starts perfectly) run to my spot (runs fine WOT and at idle). However, when i get to an area and shut the boat off and try to restart it I have to advance the throttle and crank her over a few times to get it started. Were certain there is nothing wrong with the fuel delivery system and there are no leaks. I am thinking its a vapor lock issue because it gets so damn hot in that engine compartment. I am faulty of not using the blower when I run and shut off, and i typically dont let it idle for a few minutes when I get to an area before shutting it off. This thing has a metal fuel line that runs along the starboard side of the engine up diagonally to the top and across the top to the carb on the port side of the engine. You can buy a replacement rubber hose so I may do that. Father in law suggested (because he thinks its vapor lock as well) wrapping fuel line to deflect heat. I bought a piece of heat shield wrap to see if that circumvents the problem. here is the wrap: http://www.autozone.com/ignition/heat-shield-sleeve/thermo-tec-1-2-to-1-in-x-3-ft-express-sleeve/379541_0_0/?checkfit=true Above and beyond that, I am trying to find a way to get it cooler in the compartment. Run with the lid open, put a vent in the front and side of the dog house, etc. I wish I could somehow do a cold air intake but would have no easy way to get a flexible duct from the front to the back of the boat. I even thought about putting a fan on the front of the dog box that i could run off of my trolling batteries that i could run while running on the lake to get cooler air in there. Other things to mention: I run non-ethanol gas, use a fuel treatment, and it does seem like the starting issue is less when it is cooler out. Just curious if anyone else has this issue with a mercruiser and what you have done to help the situation. Thanks, Jim
  22. This is a crazy good deal.. Someone has to buy it. If this was around when I bought my FishMaster 196, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. That boat with the 3.0 probably does 40MPH and is extremely good on gas. Trolling bag out each side in the front will get you down to 1.3-1.5 MPH SOG and allow you to troll with the main if you dont want a kicker. Someone should suck this up while they can.
  23. Just wanted to share this story. I ordered a bunch of trolling flies from Minion Last Friday and received them today. My wife called me and said did you order trolling flies? Yup, I did. She then goes on to tell me they arrived in a Postal Envelope that said "We're sorry for your inconvenience on the back. Rut Ro Shaggy. I messaged Minion to find out if this ever happened before and he said no and asked if I could send him a picture. I sent him a picture and he got back to me shortly that he was going to replace all of the damaged flies with new ones. He didn't have to do it as it was a postal problem, but he did and I thank him for it. Top notch guy to deal with if anyone needs flies. Thanks again Minion. Jim
  24. Go get em Ed!
  25. How many of you guys run a rod length of heavy Mono between your wire an your dipsy diver? I read somewhere here on LOU where someone mentioned they do it that way and it allows you to break the rod down for storage without kinking the wire and also provides some shock absorption on the hard strikes. Thanks, Jim
×
×
  • Create New...