Jump to content

jimalbert

Members
  • Posts

    246
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jimalbert

  1. Well LongLine, I owe you some beer at some point in time. Finally decided and went with "Spoons 'N' Tunes. Just had the design done today. Had a hard time deciding what to put for my hailing port but from a bunch of reading it said you could basically put anything you want on there and its supposed to indicate where the boat is registered so... went with the home town. Heres the pic of the vinyl lettering, what do you guys think? Thanks for all of the help everyone.
  2. Thanks Rob. I guess it doesn't become backing until a king tears off 1000' of wire... before that its filler.. hahaha..
  3. OK.. I thought I read somewhere that 1000' of wire fit perfectly on the magda 30's so I only assumed the 45 would need some backing to fill the spool so the counter works properly. Thanks Les.
  4. Just ordered some wire based on everyones advice to combat the fleas. Should I pull all of my braid off and use a mono backer instead of the braid? If so, what pound test do you recommend? Also what knot are you guys using? Albright, nail knot? I currently have 65lb power pro on these magda 45's. Anyone have any idea how much backer these reels will take with 1000' of 7 strand? Thanks, Jim
  5. Just ordered some wire... guess I dont have to garlic impregnate my braid.. haha.. Thanks, Jim
  6. just ordered wire. Thanks for the help guys. Jim
  7. Yup... I've been using Jeff's spoons for some time now and have hammered them. Great product produced by a great guy. Action second to none on the spoons.
  8. I personally dont think it does either.. but it will be bitter none the less. Maybe that will help keep em off.
  9. Well, I know braid sucks for fleas but I am going to try something. When I bought my 65lb power pro it had a slightly waxy surface coating. It doesnt now but im going to fix that. Im going to grab some bowstring wax and melt it down. Everyone I have talked to said that Fireline Fused original has a bitter taste and the fleas dont bother it so much. While the bowstring wax is liquefied im going to put some of my home made garlic powder in there and pour it back into a mold to solidify. Then ill take the braid out and apply the wax to a paper towel and apply to the powerpro. Its worth a try and at the very least your hands will smell good after a day of fishing...haha. Has anyone ever tried something so stupid? Jim
  10. Thanks.. I guess I better think about switching it out to stainless wire. All of my reels are Magda 45's loaded with 65lb power pro. Any idea how much backing I should keep on there to fill the spool with 1000' of 7 strand? Thanks, Jim
  11. OK... so I know I run into a few fleas on Seneca when the water warms up but I will be making my first trip to Ontario in a few weeks and I will be fishing out of Henderson or Port Ontario. How bad are the fleas and should I consider changing to wire instead of braid before I come up. Thanks Guys. Jim
  12. I've had issues with Lowrance in the past also and have moved to Garmin. Just bought a Striker 4DV for my bow when I fish for bass and after I installed the power wire and tried to plug the unit in I noticed that one of the power pins was bent over. I had a new one 2 days later. Love Garmin's customer service. Jim
  13. Im glad you brought this topic up Ed. My 2001 has very little storage and its pretty annoying, plus I have an I/O so I loose some space there also. Im going to build something like this, hopefully out of aluminum. Also going to work on a crapper for the back seats aside the motor housing so if one of my kids needs to take care of business we dont have to leave the lake. hahah.. Thanks, Jim
  14. Im going to be making a trip up the weekend of August 19 with three of my buddies to do some fishing on Ontario and wanted to know if anyone knew of a place we could stay where I would be able to keep my boat attached to my truck, and secondly be able to charge it, Im choosing to stay close to Seneca just because if the winds are high I may just stay on Cayuga or Seneca. Unfortunately, my friends House in Starkey is unavailable that weekend and I know the hotels are in Geneva but would rather have somewhere I could just hang out. Can anyone suggest a place? Thanks, Jim
  15. Tradman; nice...... Im sure that gives people a smile as you drive by. I think the only ones my wife will let me get away with are Jordyn Marie, Tunes N Spoons, and Meals on Reels....
  16. Great job Nick.. Hopefully I am going to get up there in the next few weeks to get some fishing in. I haven't been up since the derby and have the itch. Im definitely taking a trip up in August, not sure if it will be Seneca or Ontario though. Good luck the rest of the summer. Jim
  17. The pisser wont actually start throwing water until the thermostats reach temperature and open. I was always freaked out by it too but my father in law (best merc mechanic in my area) told me to chill, it will start pumping when the thermostats open. Sure as ****, they did, and it started pissing. Jim
  18. Yep. Troutman 97 has the torpedo. I love them. Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  19. My fishmaster is all aluminum construction (stringers, transom etc.) and the only foam I have seen is removable (It doesnt look like spray in but rather square white blocks). With that being said, I have an I/O and in the engine compartment there is no foam whatsoever. Finding a place to locate and mount it would be easy, but by others opinions wouldnt be a great idea due to the flex in the aluminum. I still havent gotten a chance to take a pic but will try today. I may have it mounted too high by the looks of the picture posted above. Jim
  20. This is pretty ingenious...
  21. Ill take a picture when I get home and post it for you guys to see. if looking at the back of my boat I have it mounted to the right of the outdrive. It may be possible that I have it mounted to high but if I remember correctly I followed the directions that Garmin provided. Thanks, Jim
  22. x3 on the garmin. I have a 73DV and love it.
  23. Anyone have a Starcraft Fishmaster and a Thru Hull Transducer? Im thinking about putting one in and wanted to know which Transducer you purchased, if it has ever leaked, and if it made that much of a difference? I need to find the dead rise of the hull but I believe I will go with an airmar transducer. I currently have my transducer mounted on my transom but loose track of bottom when running even at low speeds. I could lower the transducer some but if I am going to go that route I may as well consider a thru-hull. Thanks, Jim
  24. Ok guys. Thanks. Just was unsure if I wanted longer booms but didn't think it was a big deal since I never extended my telescoping booms on my unitroll hps. Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  25. Im looking to pick up a few electric downriggers. I have only had manuals in the past but am sick of cranking a 12lb weight up from 140 deep. Are the cannon magnum 5 ST's worth looking into? they only have a 24" boom but honestly I have never extended the boom on my Cannon Unitroll HPs. Do I need all of bells and whistles of the digitroll models? My boat is a starcraft fishmaster 196 by the way. Im open to all suggestions, not sure if I will buy used or new but am open to anything. Thanks, Jim
×
×
  • Create New...