Species Breakdown:Kings

Hot Lure: Atomik Packer Glo Fly/ MoonShine Widowmaker/ NBK/ Crazy "b" fly

Down Speed: 2.1-2.5

Boat Depth: 120-140 FOW

Lure Depth: 85-110

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

My son and I were able to get on the lake for a bit this past weekend. The weather was not bad when we arrived Thursday night. We were able to land two kings on Friday morning. My son's came on a Black spinny with white crushed glo tape and green glo dots. Mine was taken on the copper rod which had 300yds and a White crushed glo tape spinny and was towing a Moonshine Widowmaker spoon. About 15 minutes later the rigger rod with an NBK mag spoon fires on a reel that I just noticed had less than 200 yds of line left on it. I just told my son minutes before that I hope if it gets hit that it's not a screamer. I can only watch the line run off tried stopping it with my thumb only to get burned and a big blister on my thumb as it was gone. The two we landed Friday were not big by most standards made for some nice fillets. Went back out for the early evening troll and we had the copper rod fire first towing a NBK mag this time. It screamed out about 200 yds and line went slack. I reeled it in thinking he busted me off but all gear was still on the line. ?? Then about a half hour later the dipsey rod fires with the crazy **** fly with a caramel dolphin spinny and the line is screaming out fast. My son can not even get the rod out of the holder there is that much pressure. He finally does and the wire line goes slack. Thinking again that I was busted off, he reels it in and everything was attached.?? We did notice that the snubber was busted. That was a big fish. Possibly could have placed in the derby. We'll never know. The weather fronts came in from the hurricane rolled in on Friday night and practically blew us off the lake. Could not even get out Saturday morning. The weather broke around 4:00 pm and it seemed like everybody headed out to fish at the same time. It was the calm before the storm. It looked as if fronts from the south east and west met and it almost turned into the perfect storm. The lake had went from glass to 4 to 6 footers crashing over my bow in about 2 hours. We did have one rod fire, but it was hard to tell with all the waves and bouncing around that was going on. We reeled it in and we were broke off this time. Ironically it was on a trolling fly I made my self earlier in the day from of bits and pieces of older flys. I called it the "FrankenFLY" .I revived it from the dead. Hooks from old flys, green crinkle body and tied on an old blue and green coho fly as a trailer 12" behind the main body. It actually worked except for the knot that I tied it with. It was clear to see that where it was broke off. That was my fault. There were reports on the radio of water spouts forming. So everyone started getting off the lake including us. Probably the worst seas I have been on in my life. But we made it back to port before it got real nasty. I could hear the waves crashing against the shore from my camp at Selkirk. It was nice listening to that whikle sitting by the camp fire. We'll be up again on Thursday. Maybe we'll do better this weekend.

zachsking82909_.jpg

Brokensnubber82909.jpg

king82909.jpg

LakeOstorm82909_2.jpg

LakeOStorm82909.jpg

Just a tip, those lure jensen snubbers weaken and crack over time expecially if exposed to sun or if they are over one year old, not sure if that is the case with your broken snubber but I found them to be not worth a darn and started running Dreamweaver's expecially for steelies and kings they make a really nice snubber that is pretty stiff and not made of soft rubber/latex with good quality hardware, whatever snubber you use always keep them out of the sun as well.

Good fishing man.

I appreciate the tip and have noticed that too on the older used ones that I had. The sad part was that I just bought the dipsey diver and snubber to replace one that I lost the last time up. That baby was brand new not in use more than a few hours. I did notice the DWs and have a clear snubber from Opti tackle. I just wanted to add the "green" to my set up since that is a hot color and I had it behind a froggy glo diver. At least I did not lose the whole set up this time.