I got stationed up at Fort Drum and looking to get into trolling for salmon.  I mostly launch out of black water bay at Sackets Harbor or down the St Laurence as far as Alexandria Bay. I dont mind a drive as far south as Osweigo. Trolling is all new to me. I am used to wreck fishing in the Atlantic or casting off the bank of a creek. I tried google and there is no real beginners guide I have found. Most is kind of higher level. Im really looking to catch anything that tastes good. I love salmon and bass. Im ok with catch and release and fishing for the fight and a photo.

I use a Lowrance Elite-4 and can reef the sail or use the pedal drive to hold any speed under 5 knots. I have 2 Okuma Magda 45-DX reels and 7 foot rods. In a typical day I can travel about 30-40 miles as the upper end. I do have a 10 gallon livewell and there is a front storage hatch that I have gotten 40 inch striped bass into.

Im looking for some information about what kind of tackle and line to use as well as places, techniques and some suggestions on bait. Id like to learn on my own but I'm treading water at this point and don't even know where to begin.

Thanks in advance for the help.

This is what I am fishing off of:

http://i.imgur.com/3PGhOLG.jpg

3PGhOLG.jpg

Edited by Kamikazie

I don't think I can help you as I've never fished off a "yak".  But lines - something in the 12-20 Lb wt class will get you going.  Spoon favorites include Northern Kings, Dreamweavers, R&R's.  Silvers, greens & glows work well. 3 1/4"r bigger.   Plugs include Rapalas, Rebels, Bombers - Oranges, Blk/Slvr & ocassionally gold/Blk. Sinking & jointed.  You'll probably need some weight to get everything down, unless you're out before dawn. 

Good Luck.  Suggest you read up in the report section for how the guys put things together.

Tom b.

(LongLine)

I guess my biggest question is I get I use one of the many devices to put bait at a certain depth. But I'm not really sure what would be best for me. I do think a downrigger is out, Ill probably sink trying to use a 15lb cannonball. So given that I cruise at 5-6 kts and can troll anywhere below that with the slower the better as 3kts is pretty reliable and easy to maintain.

What is probably the best to use. A diver? beyond that it is how to set the whole thing up, like what gets tied where and what length of lines to use. I get everyone does it different and I have read some of the threads on it. The other side is more of the bait. Do you use live bait like you use eels for stripped bass or is it mostly just lures?

Why does going out before dawn not require weight but after dawn does? Are you implying that the daylight chases them deeper?

Wire dipseys or jets would probably be the easiest for you to set up to get some depth.  Most baitfish come up at night then slink back down after sunrise.   Fish follow them.  It's very easy for guys to be fishing below the fish.  Some guys swear by running meat behind flashers, but you have to get the roll just right.  I'd suggest you start out with spoons.  As to speed, watch your lure in the water.  If spinning out of control either flatten it out or slow down.  2 1/2 -3 mph. (not sure what that is in knots)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

last year there was some guy on here catching lakers with cowbells out of his kayak. I'm not quite sure how he did it. Hopefully he see's this post and chimes in. Basically though I'd get a 1lb. weight, some cowbells, and spin-n-glows or peanuts and drop it to the bottom within 5ft. out there in henderson in the trench and you'll limit out I bet on Lakers.