tough lesson to learn

Here is a lesson for everyone. First I’ll start by saying I hate buying rods I can’t look over first. That being said rods that are used in lake Ontario are not used locally so finding a local shop with some in house is impossible. So I wanted to upgrade my remaining dipsy rods to Shimano Taloras, which I did thru an online retailer. I got the rods put them together to check out the action and then put them back in the plastic sleeve and brought them down stairs. So this weekend I decide to put the twilly tips on the rods and assemble them for my upcoming trip. I remove the tip section from each bag and install the twilly tips. Once the twilly is on I assembled the butt section to the top and layed the rod down awaiting reel installation. I finish all three rods and start to mount the reels on them one at a time. First rod I noticed a couple chips in the blank on the butt section opposite the guide side of the blank. I was not happy. Second rod was fine third rod had three spots on the butt section and one small spot on the top section where the rod finish was damaged. So I call the place that sold me the rods and I got a call back today. They said because I installed the twilly tip that they cannot exchange the rod because Shimano wouldn’t warranty them with the Twilly tip on them. They said they would give me 10% off the rods and I could still try to see if Shimano would warranty them direct. I called Shimano and they wouldn’t warranty them, saying any rod altered from factory voids warranty. This I did not know. I’m betting most other users that have added twilly tips did not know this either. I emailed back the retailer saying 10% is a joke on a $90 rod that I basically got in used condition. I asked for 30% and got it. I still feel hosed but thought if I asked for too much I’d have been given nothing. I have spent a lot of money at this retailer in the past and if they keep a history it is likely why I was given 30% off.

So if you choose to buy rods online look them over real good before you alter them. I myself will only purchase rods I can touch and feel from here on out.

Lesson learned,

Spike

Buy two new rods to replace the two butts that are defective and send back defective butts with the new tips and get your money back.. I know it a pain in the ass at this point but I don't see any other work around given you changed the tips already.  Good Luck.

You'd think the manufacturer would have offered that up......

Which brings me to the question why don't the manufacturers offer twilly tips as original equipment on their rods? Answer: Because they don't have to warranty them after you add the twilly......................

Spike