Old style saltist line counters?

I have the current line counters and have a chance to pick up a couple older ones to use for wire. Is the position of the line counter that big of an issue? I love mu silver non counters. I use the more current version for braid divers. Appreciate it.

1 hour ago, BRsnow said:

I have the current line counters and have a chance to pick up a couple older ones to use for wire. Is the position of the line counter that big of an issue? I love mu silver non counters. I use the more current version for braid divers. Appreciate it.

I have 6 of them.  They dont bother me....but its a personal opinion thing

11 hours ago, BRsnow said:

I have 24 saltists with line counters.  IMO, the counter isn't placed perfect but a little change in the way you hold the rod and its fine.  The quality and durability of the old saltists make it tolerable.  If you are worried about it, let me know what you want for them! :smile:

6 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

I have 24 saltists with line counters.  IMO, the counter isn't placed perfect but a little change in the way you hold the rod and its fine.  The quality and durability of the old saltists make it tolerable.  If you are worried about it, let me know what you want for them! :smile:

Thanks, are the older ones more durable than the current model?

39 minutes ago, BRsnow said:

Thanks, are the older ones more durable than the current model?

From what I hear, yes.  I don't know first hand.  I have had the same Saltist reels since they came out.  One reel the clicker went bad in.  It was an easy fix.  Other than that, they have been flawless! 

I bought two of the new Saltist 40's over the winter.  I'll probably never use the old silver version again. It will sit in the cabin as a backup or a guest can use them if they want to.  I would prefer the old Daiwa Sealine GL 47's over the silver wrist wacker.  All those daiwa's are easily repairable. 

On 5/23/2024 at 6:54 AM, GAMBLER said:

Is the line counter location less impactful on the size 20’s vs larger sizes?

On 5/23/2024 at 8:54 AM, GAMBLER said:

I can get you a number for a good therapist...

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, BRsnow said:

Is the line counter location less impactful on the size 20’s vs larger sizes?

It will depend on how you hold the rod, the larger the reel size the higher above the rod the line counter is.

For me the line counter on a size 40 is high enough above the rod that my arm just fits under it when I hold the rod.  With a size 30 the line counter is hitting into my arm.