Swim platform not secure

dukhnter8

Having an issue with my swim platform on a 2001 StarCraft superfisherman. One of the bolts on the swim platform is not holding any longer. I tried a bigger bolt but they just keep pulling out when you put any weight on it.

I cannot get to the inside of the area due to a support on transom and wall on storage area. So putting a bolt with nut on the end will not help.

Any ideas to secure it? Drill out bigger and put a new lag bolt? I've tried stainless but they seem to get chewed up trying to put any tightness to it, would a regular steel bolt work?

TIA

I would be more concerned as to why it pulled out to begin with and why the next size up didn't solve the issue. Maybe a soft transom board? I hope I'm wrong for your sake!!

You need to have a transom plate or in the very least large fender washer support with a lock nut to hold.  My guess is when you tried to go to a larger bolt, the nut fell off the bolt.  DO NOT USE SCREWS TO SUPPORT ANYTHING WITH FIBERGLASS......everything should be bolted if there is any load on the item.

It's an aluminum boat not fiberglass, swim platform was lag bolted in. I am trying to lag bolt it to the transom and the bolts just seem to pull out. I cannot get a bolt with a nut on it inside the boat where the bolt comes into the boat is between a support and a storage wall.

The wood seems a little soft in between the aluminum, which I may take the transom apart next summer and replace the wood. But for now would like a fix.