Omc cobra 4.3 starting issue

Hey everyone! Just bought an 86 StarCraft with an omc cobra 4.3. 

boat wiring was messed with by previous owner and it was a disaster. Determined the starter and assist solenoid were bad replaced both of those, still wouldn’t start. 

mechanic bypassed the ignition, and engine turns over just fine. Been diagnosing the wiring and looking at original manual and other forums, but I’m still stumped. 

have a purple wire that no matter what I do I just can’t trace it. 

any help or insight would be appreciated, anxious to get fishing as we know the boat and motor are solid! 

IMG_3687.jpeg

IMG_3689.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

ABYC Cable & Wire Color Codes for Yacht, Boat & Marine Wiring

Explanation of the boat and marine wire and cable color codes with applications

• RED: Positive Mains “+” i.e. Positive Conductor in the DC supply “L+”
  • BLACK or YELLOW: Negative Mains “-” i.e. Negative Conductor in the DC supply “L-“
  • YELLOW with Red Stripe: It is used for starting switch to solenoid or/ used for  generator to the regulator field terminal.
  • BROWN: It is used for three different boat accessories i.e. 1) wire generator armature to the regulator, 2) fuse or switch to pumps or lights,  3) generator terminal to the alternator or light to regulator.
  • BROWN with Yellow Stripe: It is used to wire the switch or fuse to the blower.
  • DARK BLUE: It is used to connect the fuses and Switches to the light.
  • LIGHT BLUE: It is used to wire oil pressure lenders to the gauge.
  • TAN: It is used to wire the water temperature to the sender gauge.
  • ORANGE: Its is used for there types of boat wiring i.e  it is used to 1) wire distribution panels to accessory switches, 2) Ammeter to alternator and generator output, 3) boat accessory fuses or switches.
  • PURPLE: It is used for two purposes i.e. 1) wire an ignition switch to the coil and electrical instruments, 2) wire the distribution panel to electrical instruments in a marine.
  • PINK: It is used to wire the boat  fuel gauge senders to the gauge.
  • GRAY: It is also used to connect three marine accessories i.e. 1) tachometer sender to gauge, 2) Fuses of switches to lights, 3) or used as a bonding wire (if insulated).
  • GREEN or GREEN with Yellow Stripe:These are bonding wires i.e. these colors coded cables are used for bonding in a boat (if insulated).

IMG_0516.png

Not fun. You say it cranks but won’t start. That year should have a point and condenser  ignition system. I would start there. Check cap and rotor. Clean and gap points   Replace spark plugs   Also fuel and filters  

Correction - cranks starts and runs. Seem to have narrowed it down to electrical. Key and starter can’t communicate. Wiring was a disaster, lots of residential caps, all sorts of splices.