First Timer - Couple Questions

Ok so I've heard great things about Oswego. I'm planning to come up in a few weeks (OCT 25) for the first time and have a few questions. Thanks in advance for anyone who helps me out!

1. I have a 17 foot aluminum bass boat w/ trolling motor and 25HP motor. Its not a deep V (cross between V and flat bottom) which has me a little concerned if the wind is whipping around like crazy. Do you guys think I'm going to get myself in trouble trolling around the shore and river?

2. I have planer boards (no down riggers). What type of tackle should I use? jPlugs? colors/sizes? How much line do I let out and how quickly should I be trolling?

I think thats all for now. Any other helpful information would be appreciated!

As long as you stay in the harbor (between the break walls) and in the river you should be ok. I would not go out past the lighthouse unless its calm. It usually is nice in the harbor regardless of the weather due to the break walls. I have not had much luck in the harbor this year but I would try j-plugs and trolling spoons. I like michigan stinger spoons. I would try about 30-40 feet behind your boat. Good luck.