Trout Help on Canandaigua

Name: Jeff

Home Port:Lima

Boat Name/Type:Pontoon

I fish for:Trout and others

==================

Hi everyone. My first post - just joined.

I just started fishing Canandaigua and have a pontoon boat I equipped with a down rigger, holder for flat line and a Seth Green rig. I've tried four or five times in the north end, right after the drop off around 130-160' of water to catch trout.

Nothing :(

Been trying various Sutton's, just tried a couple of NK28's and have been flat lining a green/orange rapala.

Is this bad luck or any suggestions to try and get some luck?

Any certain spots to try other then the north end drop off?

I've been marking the fish around the bottom and around 50-75 down. Fish are there, just not biting my lures.

Running as slow as I can - around 1.9 - 2.2mph.

Any advice???

Appreciate in advanced everyone!!!! Love fishing and being out there, but would be fun to catch one too!

I have one thought if you want to catch some trout.

The fish on the bottom are lakers, and running a lure may

not work as well as getting some big live minnows to the bottom...

hooking them with an english hook is a good idea, although

ice fishing with a small #16 treble also works well...

or trying to jig a rubber minnow with a 3/4 oz or 1 oz white

jig head. Also check out THe Finger Lakes Angling Zone. A day out

on one of the lakes with John is worth the $!

Hey, thanks for the tip on the minnows - I'll try anything at this point to try and hook a trout.

Thanks for the tip on the charter also. Hopefully I'll figure out how to catch some soon! Thanks again for the tip and reply.

It also helps if you have some ability to "stop" the boat over your lakers on the bottom...

We use a small electric trolling motor,which gives us time to get the jigs to the bottom

in the area of the trout you see on your finder. Chances are if you are locating fish at 70'

you should be cruising to look for others at that depth...Once last year we found trout at

73', and only caught them at 73' the whole day...nothing at 70 nothing at 78...only 73....it was amazing to me

how they would find a depth and stay there....hunting for them is half the fun...

A few years ago we took a day to go out with John from the angling zone ... on Cayuga. He is not just a charter captain...

he is there to teach you how to catch fish in the finger lakes, and you will learn a lot from him

giving you the confidence you need to land some fish. It is amazing how big the finger lakes

can feel when you are out there on the water! IT takes patience..every time you go out you learn something.

When you start getting them into the boat, it makes it worth it.

This time of year I have also done well with sutton spoons fishing off of the tributaries...casting or trolling

fairly close to shore...Keep at it!