Mexico Bay 9/21/07

Had the pleasure of helping Ron Jacoby on the Beginners Luck charters on Friday for his 2 charters for the day. The am trip started with pea soup fog for the first hour. We idled out of the Little Salmon River until we hit 60 feet straight out and setup. We did not mark much and heard the Salmon River boys saying it was real slow and a lot of boats. By this time the fog had lifted enough, we decided to head offshore due to some info I had been given from a friend of mine. We setup in 320' off the plant, temp was down 115'. We had 4 riggers 4 dipseys and a 400' copper out. Riggers were 100,105,110, and 120 down, 2 spoons and 2 paddle flies. Dipseys were paddle flies, and the copper was paddle fly. Our hot rig in the am was the White on White baby dr. with an ATOMMIK mirage fly out 235 on a mag dipsey on a 2 setting. The Froggy glow spoon on the rigger down 110 took a nice steelie, and the white echip with the green glow ATOMMIK down 100 took a nice steelie also. We ended the morning trip 5 for 10 with 2 kings. 2 steelies and 1 brown.

On our afternoon trip we headed right back to the 320' mark and setup, just after getting all the rods in the fun started. We setup all the same rigs and the fish were still there. We took fish on every rigger and the 400' copper with 3 ounces of weight added was really hot for the first 3hours. Same paddles, we changed one out and put on a white/mountain dew dr. with a white ATOMMIK fly and put that down to 120 on the probe, down 5 minutes and a nice king had the chance to sample what we had to offer. The NBK mag took our biggest steelie of the day which was a nice 13lb chrome fish. We ended the pm trip 11 for 15 with the biggest fish being a 20lb king which was going to run this year.

The weather was awesome, the crews had a great time and the fish were cooperative. The fish and bait are out in that deep water, find them and you should have a good day. I will be heading out there with my boat if the weather stays warm and calm. No pics from these trips, left my camera at home, if I get any from Ron I I will post them. Good Luck.

Rich