Seneca...Saturday...south

Fished over the weekend and struggled with weeds and fleas. Worked pretty hard all day but caught a lot of small fish. I did discover something that saved the day for my customers, which is a new type of leadcore. http://naturalgeographic.net/wp/sufix-8 ... lead-core/

The fleas do not stick to the 18lb version of this great new product, period. The rigger cables and dipsy wire were gummed up with fleas and flea flicker did no good, but the leadcore was great. I don't know why it stays free of fleas, but it does. A few fleas gathered at the leader knot and were very easy to clean off. It is quite thin for a leadcore and real easy to handle. I like it a whole lot.

I have never had issues with any lb leadcore and fleas because it is large diameter. Smaller diameter stuff like braid is what has the real problem with fleas.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I too have no faults with leadcore. If it has a name like suffix, my guess is it costs more too :lol: .

It was tough out there saturday andrew. We had the same results. Went in tight and fished for smallies. Was so good, I skipped fishing the boat sunday and fished the Kayak instead, Caught a ton of bass. Pretty fun from the Yak, can't wait till the LL and Browns come in tighter and get them from the Yak.. :yes:

I never fished leadcore in flea season so maybe it's all good because of the diameter. I did notice that vertical lines (downrigger cables and lines picked up the most fleas). Maybe the angle helps with long lines going back. Sufix is pricey stuff but it is easy to handle compared to leadcore that I have used in the past. It is smaller diameter and has a hard, slick finish that runs out the guides real well.

Those little salmon have big ideas and slam a spoon half their size. It's too bad that some of those hooked and released fish will not live. Maybe it would be better to catch and keep if they are damaged in their gills.

How are you fishing for smallies Nick? I used to do minnows on a slip sinker this time of year in the "old days".

Thanks Nick...I am going to give it a try in the AM. I do love my new boat...that big V8 trolls down to 2-2.5 no problem and the auto pilot works very well with that big, barn door rudder. She maintains 42# of oil pressure at 600RPM so I don't think I am hurting the engine any, but I do use the kicker a lot as well. And, best of all, when it's time to call it a day, I can get back to the Marina in a hurry.