Insanity and Cabin Fever setting in.

Okay I have heard some rumors going about the scuttlebutt that fisherman can use a centerpin outfit/rig on the finger lakes. Well I guess you could if you a going for fish in 10 feet of water or so. But I would rather be going for fish down deep like 50 plus feet or more so I ask my fellow fin chaser have you heard of this method being used on the Finger Lakes before? I would love to hear your response, if any at all.

Thanks

CS23

If I'm not mistaken the Hermit uses a centerpin jigging for lakers at times.

Splitshot115

Isn't a centerpin setup similar(lighter) to a mooching setup.....like

the ones they troll with to fish for salmon.....in places like Alaska ,Oregon.

I've watched some of the shows on T.V. with Larry Cszonka....you know the old football dude.....anyways thats what they were using a(mooching setup)

Why do they use those mooching reels for trolling for salmon in Alaska and such? Just an ultra light rig or what?

Its definately not an ultra light rig ....they're actually pretty stout..

I've watched them catch (silvers) cohos on them......but I havent

seen them actually go for kings w/this setup......It is kinda strange

that they would use these setups vs,. what is typically used around

here in the boats.........MAYBE ....somebody will chime in and explain?

Hey... I do use a centerpin for the lakers around here, I jig with it. Even down 150+, though reeling up all that line with a 1:1 retrieve can get tiring. I'll probably buy a baitcaster to do the deep stuff with soon. It shines for the early season 60-80 fow stuff.

Casting isn't easy but it's not required for jigging. Just drop it straight down to the bottom. Jig! I like that you have complete control over the line, it's easy to make the lure dance. And when you hook a fish it's a ton of fun b/c there's no drag. (Wet your hand if the fish dives hard, it'll save you a friction burn.)

If you can jig with a regular reel you can jig with a centerpin. stick it on a 7' MH or H spinning rod (depending on depth) and you're in business. I use mono backing, several hundred feet of PowerPro (15 lb) and a 8 foot leader I fish down to 3 feet. Don't fill it w/ PP it could probably hold 100 dollars worth.

The mooching reels are a little different, they have a drag. Basically a cheap baitcaster but they aren't for casting, line storage and drag, that's it. They're made for drifting bait to Kings.

I did stick out the CP and trolled with it one morning for kicks. Jammed a rubber lure in there to hold it, and lo and behold caught a 8 lb laker on it! Big fish, no drag, and a moving boat was a bit much though, not as much fun.

I've used it to drift crayfish for smallies on bottom and once a huge drum, both in the lake. Haven't used the reel in a stream yet, only used a float a few times (on lakers no less) so I'm not really sure about traditional techniques... but if you can effectively reach the strike zone and keep your bait there, go for it! Fun to use for whatever. Hope it helps, have fun.

I've used it to drift crayfish for smallies on bottom and once a huge drum, both in the lake. Haven't used the reel in a stream yet, only used a float a few times (on lakers no less) so I'm not really sure about traditional techniques... but if you can effectively reach the strike zone and keep your bait there, go for it! Fun to use for whatever. Hope it helps, have fun.

Do you actively fish for drum...or was it jus t a fluke that you picked one

up drifting for smallies?

What's up Sliderman... I was fishing for the drum at the time, but that particular fish I actually thought was a carp until I got it in the net! Had a glimpse and the size threw me off, figured it to be a carp, plus the drum was more orange than I am used to seeing... anyway here's a pic:

big_freshwater_drum3.jpg

HOLY CRAP....Ive never seen one with that coloration....they're usually

dime silver....It looks like your fishin in the lake....I've heard alot of

sheephead inhabit the waters in front of the power station.....you know

north of the LAUNCH (that everyones using right now).... and on the the other side. I also heard they like crayfish.

What time of the year do you target them?

9-30-07009.jpg

I like crayfish but lots of guys also use sawbellies. I'm no expert by any means, I'd like to target them more often. I think that's only the 4th or 5th one I've caught out of here. C-snail, that was in Cayuga. I think summer is best, they like warmish water. They also feed a lot at night. I've seen them all around the lake but Sliderman is right about the powerplant being a popular spot in the summer.

liderman, yeah I'm with you, all the others I've seen have been silver also, like yours! But one guy I talk to has seen lots of the orange ones in here. I have no idea what might do that, the food they eat? I'm gonna try to eat one this year but I want a 3-5 lber for that. Man I can't wait for spring!

Hermit I have a qouple of questions for you if you don't mind. I was learning how to jig fish the lakes in New Hampshire last year. I'm trying to set up a tackle box just for that what do you recommend for size of lures, line and any special baits you use. In NH we were using I think 1/2 oz to 1 oz cabala's jigs in Jointed and regular sizes and the rod I believe had spider line, Is this a good set up? Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

hermit,

I met a guy years back......that used to schedule his vacation time to

coralate with the sheephead spawn at Mays Point....This guy loved to eat these fish....

he claimed they tasted better than perch...now either he had

NO tastebuds or this is true.....I'll pass .....I'll let you be the judge :D

I'm headin to warmer water Cocao Beach in a couplwe weeks.....my

Dad and I catch alot of Black drum down there.......along with pompano

snook...reds...jack crevale....the black drum looks exactly like what we

have up here with the exception off black vertical bands.......I tell you

what those babies are some good eats!!!

I was reluctant at first.....but everyone assured me they cooked up well....

I liked them better than the pompano.....which everyone said was the

one to eat.......go figure :roll:

I hear the drum taste just like the saltwater fish... if so that would be a good thing!

Erbyjoe, sure thing... well I like the braid in 15 lb test with a leader. It would depend on the lake size and fish size too, but it can't be too different...

Around here on the larger lakes I fish 3/4-1 oz lead head jigs or spoons up to 1 1 1/2, 2 oz if I need to. I prefer the jigs over spoons, I usually fish the heavy spoons on windy days. Hopkins Shorty, Bomber Slab (especially the smaller finger lakes), Luhr-Jensen Crippled Herring, the Northland rattle-slab spoons, I forget their actual name.

Most kinds of soft plastics work well for the tails- any color as long as it's white. Well most of the time. Green is also good. Zoom flukes are great, tubes too, anything that looks like an alewife. Best advice here is experiment- I'd say flukes and tubes for sure, then get a few other things to play with. Finding quality store-bought jigs is very difficult, Do-It molds were the answer.

Also take a look here for some more info... this may or may not help.

http://cayugafisher.net/pages/resdex.php

hermit......I would like to believe they taste like their saltwater cousin...I'd

probably be selling alot of fishin tackle if they did......to cocentrate my efforts on pursuing them.....

but I dont think it'll happen.......at least until YOU eat one :shock:

Heres the saltwater cousin the one with the black bars (black drum) the

other one on top is a pompano. This is a picture from last year.....this

year I'll get a better picture of the fish so you can see the similiarities.

The fillets from both of these fish are really firm......we thru them right

on the grill ....flipped'em a couple of times........never fell apart like freswater fish and they are gooooood.

PompanoDrum.jpg