Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. That was one of the better ones played on me Just glad it wasn't the Super Googly Still number one though is Bob's sending me a fishing kit for Christmas used for practicing fishing in the toilet bowl
  2. Too funny! You must stay up all night thinking Mike
  3. My hunch is you have a combination of issues. The trailer does look too short and it doesn't look like there may be enough room to move the winch forward either. The sway is usually from too light tongue weight but weight distribution throughout the trailer appears to be the source of much of the problem. Sometimes the axle (s) of the trailer have to be moved forward or backward to distribute the weight on the tongue properly. Something I ran into with my boat and trailer was the width of the wheelbase of the trailer being wider than that of my vehicle (tail wagging the dog) and I had to move up to an Expedition from an Explorer to solve the problem on mine. It appears from the pic that the hitch ball is positioned on the truck with the stem containing the ball is in the raised position such that the trailer looks tilted upward to me....meaning that the center of gravity may have changed too changing the weight distribution over the axles. Something that can exaggerate the swaying too is a partially filled gas tank in the boat adding to the sway when it sloshes back and forth during transit 9especially around curves and corners) adding to the change in weight distribution. You may need to back up to "square one" and a) check to see that the trailer is sized right for the length and weight load of the boat when loaded, b) that the tongue weight is correct and the axles are positioned correctly under the boat to support the weight properly (and you don't have a bent axle), c) Check to see if positioning the stem that the hitch ball is located on at the rear of the truck might be adjusted say upside down from what it is (if still enough ground clearance to help lower the center of gravity of the trailer). Last but not least is the fact that if the trailer is not the right size for the boat you may need a bigger trailer.
  4. Good one Mike Sounds as though you had a good time out there as well. false rumor on the perch from what I hear
  5. Thanks Mike....fun on the copper and would have made a nice rainbow division derby entry nearly anyplace
  6. I talked Admiral Byrd into giving it a shot this morning and it turned out to be a beautiful and productive day. We motored out to the 5 hundreds to start as neither of us are into "zombie fishing" and marked a bunch of fish, and continued out to 725 ft. somewhere along the line my 300 copper took a shot and sunk the board after a nice fight we had 34 inch 14 lb male steelhead in the boat...he was spent and bleeding badly so we boxed him. As we headed in from the 700's we got into another steelie and some 7 or 8 pound kings which we released. Bob then caught a couple kings in the high teens to twentyish range on the riggers with mag spoons set about 70-75 ft deep. I had only one hit on my rigger but his was active (both of us using sliders). We each ran wires at various depths with paddles and Spin Docs neither had a touch the entire time despite multiple changes of set-ups..I had another smallish king on the 300 copper with a magnum Dreamweaver. While out there in the depths I had one of the hardest hits on the 300 copper that I have ever had in all my time fishing. After a huge couple runs which were continuing without me being able to control anything the haywire twist on the copper apparently gave way to the pressure and the fish took off north for Canada....with 300 foot of copper and my Dreamweaver. It was also the first time I have ever had a 30 pound copper break or break at the Spro swivel. Anyway it was a gorgeous day out there and Bob and I busted each other the entire time so we both had a lot of fun as well.
  7. My wife probably thinks that is just one step below vacuuming it happens so often Once they learn to use the right pressure on the sides it makes the training all worthwhile
  8. I usually clip mine to the backing right above the #8 Spro swivel that leads to the copper OR near the one that leads to the fluoro leader on the copper. I haven't ever had any problems attaching it anywhere in terms of line damage as the soft pinch pads attached to the weight doesn't do anything to the line or wire itself
  9. A lot of good charters in Rock Harbor (Orleans) and many beaches for surf casting nearby. Very scenic and all sorts of things to do and not quite as far out as Truro and Wellfleet Harbor is just up Rt#6 a bit. Great area especially after the main tourist season (after Labor Day). The stripers come in pretty close on the ocean side (eg. Nauset and Coast Guard Beach) although now with the Great Whites after the seals I don't know.....
  10. Those were the days. I had a Heath Kit graph and was one of the first around that I knew of to have one. It came as a box full of diodes, a circuit board and case and had to be fully assembled including soldering all the diodes etc. into the circuit board. I almost died when I opened the package thinking it would be just a few screws and mounting the circuit board and it was a few hundred bucks which back then was a lot of money. Luckily my dad was an electronics repair guy and could fix or repair anything. He said' Let me take a look at it....leave it here on my work bench" In a couple weeks he called me and said "I have something for you" When I stopped by he had the graph fully assembled and working perfectly....I was never so relieved in my life. I used it for many years. I learned a lot from it too as I would go over the chart section after each outing plotting my "next move"
  11. Cool....My in-laws had a place mid Cape for about 30 years so I fished them out there from Chatham, Eastham, Nauset Beach etc. all the way out to P town. a lot of fun. Relatives now talking about getting another place out there so ....I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one Good luck out there. The Cape is one of my favorite places on Earth....
  12. Sweet! WTG. Where on the Cape do you go for the stripers?
  13. Yeah Jim I think the browns are a notch up the line on the intelligence scale. At least you didn't have all the weeds stuck on a prop coming into the ramp
  14. Thanks Chuck. I think you may have a "solution" there
  15. I was thinking about going to Lake O solo this morning but my wife said " why don't you fish out here and I can go along". Of course I said "yes" (for a whole lot of reasons). We got a late start and were on the water about 10 AM (quit at 4PM) . I used 2 downriggers cheated and a 300 copper trolling first the east side down to Pelican Point then across by Wegman's and down the west side. Caught a total of 7 lakers despite fishing for rainbows. None was over 4 pounds. The interesting thing to me is that 6 came on the cheaters and one came on the 300 copper and my trolling speed was from 3.1 to 3.57 and nearly all came from 3.3 plus.....I couldn't get away from them; one even hit a magnum spoon No sign of rainbows today. Saw a lot of bait at the south end. I didn't run any deeper than about 6o feet over whatever (the 300 copper may have been running higher than usual too given the speed). Marked a lot of fish in the 40-60 ft range thinking they were probably rainbows but the ones that hit at least were lakers. I didn't put down the probe to check temps but surface was 74. Usually about now the rainbows are out in the middle portion of the lake so we fished mostly 140- 210 and most fish marked were in that range as was the bait. Strange day! Quite a few weeds out there, a lot of algae pooling up in long bands throughout the south end both sides and the fleas were there but "doable"
  16. Ditto Mike. Seneca isn't "down for the count" yet and good to see it.
  17. There are various grades of Frogg Toggs - the top graded ones are very nice but they are well over $100 ( I have the Toadz?)but in some things at least you get what you pay for and this may be one of those things. I think it pays to get a quality set no matter what you buy.
  18. If you are someone with a bit of patience bleed them in the net held over the side of the boat. Just slit them across the triangular area behind the gills. It doesn't take very long if done right and very little mess.
  19. Geez Mike you're going to empty Cayuga out of fish
  20. That is another good thing to try. The sheathing on about any leadcore is what actually gives it it's strength the lead itself isn't very strong and not intended for that purpose anyway.
  21. If it isn't the screw loosening I'm wondering about a) the underwater currents and your direction trolling and b) the speed you are trolling maybe interacting to tangle things up. The diver may be revolving instead of swaying out to the side.
  22. The only problem will probably be trying to insert the mono through the sheathing of the microlead - not sure as I don't do it that way with the micro lead just the standard stuff in the past. Give it a try though as you can always go other ways if it doesn't pan out
  23. Not sure from description whether you mean tangling of both divers together or tangling of your attractor/lure with the diver. I do wonder though if the screw holding the weight in place may be loosening up allowing it to "flop" back and forth perhaps? The weights do move a little inside the covering on mine and I have over a dozen of them that do it.
  24. The #8 will go through the eyelets and tips of most rods and it is rated at 50 lbs. They also make a #10 which I believe is 35 lbs. but it is more difficult to tie knots with it. The Palomar should work and I'm sure there are others that will also work. I use the clinch knot with 7 turns on the fluoro end and 5 on the leadcore end and cinch down carefully and repeatedly and wet and then check them closely. A spot of instant glue can also be used on the knot. Never had one fail yet.
×
×
  • Create New...