Bald Eagle Veterans tournament 8/13

Last Fall, I was invited to fish the Bald Eagle Veterans tournament by Paul Nau of Lake Runner Charters.  Paul puts on this great event every year for men and women that served our country.  Seeing that my father and grandfather were Vets, I couldn’t wait to do this tournament for these guys and gals! Keith and I ran to boat over Saturday morning for Sunday.  After seeing the forecast, we had a plan to run West and ride the waves back to sandy and bring the guys back to Bald Eagle by truck so we didn’t beat them up too bad.  We were met with a bumpy lake but fishable.  I made the slow ride to the Glass House and set down in 130’.  We were met with a blank screen.  I set up trolling Into the waves and put out a simple 6 rod spread (2 riggers, 2 divers and 2 coppers).  We spun the boat around after getting fully set and rode the waves to the East.  We had a slow pick of kings and had a very bad landing ratio.  At 9am, we had a big rip on the copper that we fought for 20 minutes and never got copper on the reel!  That fish came unbottuned right as the 95’ rigger took a ride!  After a crazy battle, we boated a 24.02lb king. That fish took a NBK stingray.  At 11am, we were just West of Sandy and the guys were eager to head to the scales.  We made a quick stop at Rt 18 tackle to weigh the fish in for the Tri Counties tournament and then headed to Bald Eagle.  At weigh in, Dannies king took first place!  A huge thanks to Paul Nau for putting this event together for these guys and gals and the Hamlin Lions Club for donating snacks drink and lunch for all of us!  It’s awesome to see the fishing community come together for a cause like this!  I can’t wait for next year!

765829F3-E992-4720-9F62-EE955F2BEABA.jpeg

Edited by GAMBLER
  • Like 2