How to catch sawbellies?

I'm new to lake fishing and when we go we strictly troll. However I would like try sawbellies without paying the $12 a dozen they want at the bait shop. What's the best way to find them? Was told to jig small gold hooks (#10) through the school. Can they be netted when close to the surface? will be fishing seneca and cayuga mostly. Also any suggestions as to where the fish are hitting them, and best rigs.

We used to cast spoons off of our dock, they followed the small spoon in, and we netted them with a smelt net. I would imagine you could go into the shallows with your boat if you don't have a dock and do the same thing. Good Luck!!

They will be done spawning soon! It's late this year with the cold weather! AES with a throw net or smelting net. If where your fishing has sawbellies get there at daybreak and cast small gold trebs threw them or net them. It's a daybreak game, soon they'll be gone til next May! Bring a cooler with ice and save the dead ones for the rest of the season! A dead sawbellie in July or next April is still better than a live bass minnow! When I lived in Ithaca, Me and my buddy Travis used to freeze a minimum of 100 bags per season (15 per bag)! GOOD LUCK!

If you fish them on bottom, run an egg(slip) sinker 3/8oz.-3/4oz. Try to use as small of a sinker as posible! Slide the sinker on the line, then tie a barrel swivel with a 18 inch leader with a high quality #2 egg hook! Hook the sawbellie just below the dorsal fin thinnly! If your fishing off a boat, Remember to leave the bail open while anchored, lay a big cleo or something on your line so the wind don't blow it around. I always put a piece of tin foil on the line at the tip of the pole. when the laker takes it, the foil runs away! For Salmon & browns run a slip knot bobber system, make sure your main line is 8-10lb until you get used to tieing slip knots to your line.They can dig into your line if there to tight. Tie the knot to whatever depth you think the fish are at, then run a bead then good size slip bobber, a #2 split shot, barrel swivel, 18 inch 6lb leader and same High quality #2 RED egg hook! Alot of fun with a 10 1/2 foot noodle rod! GOOD LUCK! Here's a little trick, put a little pink egg sac netting on the hook, when the sawbellie struggles he's dragging around a bright pink indicator around with him!

• 2 weeks later...