Shark Time for Erie walleye boat

I'm coming up to Olcott from Cleveland next Fri.-Sun. Can't wait. Sounds like the bite has been real good this year.

Only been out on Ontario once before on a charter (Oak). Olcott looks real friendy...any tips for fishing/camping in the area?

Do y'all use channel 68 or 69 for chatter up there?

Oh yeah, what depth/distance is the "Ledge" I hear about in reports from Olcott/Pt. Breeze?

Gonna get me one on a j plug for old times sake. Thanks for any helpful pointers.

Jarrett

ReelPower,

I will be in Olcott Friday and Saturday. My boat name is BANANAS, can not miss her. I will be on Channel 10 and 68. Give me a yell when you get there. Are ya fishin Friday? I am docked on "B" Dock #17, just look for the Yellow boat.

Shade....Howie

Thanks gents...me and my two crewmembers will be fishing Friday afternoon through Sunday Morning. Look for an older model wht/blue trophy hardtop 22' - "Reel Power". Got four riggers hanging off the back and a cooler on the swim platform.

Kgone I've seen your informative posts on OGF. I fish out of Eastlake. I'd love to share info with you during the trip.

Shade I'll look for Bananas (we've got a dock reserved at the marina) and try to hail you on 10 or 68.

I'll stay on 68 for standby. Kgone if you want to give me a call my cell # (216) 780-4266.

3 days and counting...

Jarrett

I figured we knew each other at least through OGF in one form or another.

Sounds like a plan none my other pals from OGF will be up to fish this early and most everyone is going out of Pt Breeze so having another boat to work with is always nice I like Olcott it's the first port I salmon fished out of years back and I like it so I keep coming back.

I'll give you a call!

Jerrett and Gonefishin,

Jarrett - where are you staying while in Olcott? I will be in Olcott either at 7am or not until 12:30pm. My son can not get out of work until 11:30 and we plan to go out as soon as he gets to the marina. My Boat is at B dock Slip 17. Can not miss here I am between 2 sailboats almost at the end of the dock on right side. I have to gas up before I head out.

Gonefishin - you are staying at Point Breeze but fishing out of Olcott? What time will you be in Olcott? If you fish Point Breeze the "LEDGE" is 5.5 miles east of the Harbor (11W), however reports are showing a lot of action between 24N and 27N. Start off with Green.

If you go out before I get there, when you break out of Harbor to the east you will see a smoke stack, between the stacks and the harbor you will see a couple of towers on the shore those are called the Microwave Towers. At the marina slightly to the west is a Water Tower. To the west of the Water Tower about 3 - 4 miles on shore you will see a red building which is called the Red Barn. Start out in about 70' and either troll east to west or NE to SW staying inside 250' and work between the Red Barn and the Micrwaves.

When I get there I will head NE to about 70' and I will troll NE to about 220 and then back SW to about 150 and the NW and so on depending on what my graph tells me and down water temp. I also run between 2.2 and 2.7 again depending on water coditions which so far is suppose to be SSW wind around 8mph. This has been working fo us the last 3 trips so thats where I will start. I will be on channel 68 and I will have my cell - 716-704-9242 or 716-440-1239.

See ya Friday.

Howie

I'm staying in Olcott at Harbor Campground, I won't be fishing Friday and will be getting into Olcott pretty late probably around 10:30 -11:00 pm, I got my yearly in the spring when I was up but the two guys I'm coming with need to get licensed up so they will be waiting for Wes to open his doors while I get rods rigged.

I've fished out of Olcott many days so I'm familar with the landmarks both east and west of the harbor. Last August I started in a little shallower in the mid 40's range and took teenagers just when the sun was coming up at first light but that bite shut down quick, then we crabbed out to where the best picture was, we had most of our best luck and all the majors we caught where between the barn and wilson pretty much right in the middle in the mid 70's but this was the 3rd week of August. I'll be fishing Olcott the next two weekends actually, just making the trip up on Friday's nights.

Thanks for post and the help, and I will give you a call as well, I WILL need some info on down temp as I don't have this unit on my boat but plan on it by next season, might have a few additional q's as well. Look for the ranger walleye boat! with the big merc 250 and 9.9 kicker, cisco rod holders and vector riggers, believe me you won't see another one of these out there!

69676471.jpg

Howie I'll track your bananna boat down on the dock or hail you on the water. Thanks for the tips...I was wondering what people were referring to when discussing the "barn" and "microwave"!

We'll be staying at the Harborside camp grounds. I drive an older model silver landcruiser with Ohio plates.

We'll probably arrive after you are on the water...I'm guessing about 2:30 or so by the time we're under power. I'll give you a shout on 68 and keep yer # handy. Kgone maybe we'll see you at the campground when you roll in.

I couldn't afford the new x4 probe for my Fishawk (old probe didn't come with boat at purchase) so help with down temps would be very much appreciated.

We are planning on running four riggers with sliders on the transom riggers and two braided dipsey lines. I plan an assortment of spinnys/flies and spoons. Sounds like green, purples and gators are the current coice.

Should I keep the rigger spread relatively tight to imitate a school or space it out to cover H20? If you run dips, what is a good starter length for kingers?

Now less than three days to splash. Yeah!