Olcott Pier 9/23 Overnight

So in my Salmon fishing history, I have trolled, jigged, snagged...but never tried this night time pier thing. I decided that today should be a day off if work and to give it a try. Of course I could find no co pilot...so I went it alone. I don't have any heavy spin casting rods and didn't expect much...so I figured grab what ya got and head out after a stop at Gander for some egg sacs.

I got to Olcott and tracked down the East pier lot and entrance, packing a net, my Bass/Pike/Walleye tackle box and two medium casting rods spun with 8 and 10lb Fireline. I set up half way down the Pier in about the only spot available. It was about 9:30 when I rigged up an egg sac on a heavy worm harness hook (#3) I had in the box and started casting a glow 3/4 Cleo. After a couple of hours of watching nothing happen anywhere I began to really wonder why you guys bother...the beer probably :P By Midnight almost everyone had left.

At Midnight I started to consider bailing out. I set an 'end point' mentally at 12:30 figuring I'd had enough. About 12:10 the group of guys at the base of the west pier got a hook up and landed what appeared to be a decent fish after about 20 minutes. This got me thinking...maybe a little longer...I'll make it to 1 AM. Fifteen minutes later, I'm counting down to my agreed upon end point when I see the line attached to the egg sac starting to migrate upstream...quickly I reel in the rod I am casting with and grab that rod. After taking up the slack, I give it a jerk and it starts feeding out line at an alarming rate. This mind you is a 25 year old Berkly 6 1/2 foot medium rod with a 20 year old Daiwa spinning reel holding about 200 yards of 8# Fireline. First he headed upstream, then he reversed course and I could barley get the reel to keep up with the slack as he decided to head back out to sea. I'm watching the spool and realizing that it is only about 150 yds to the end of the pier. Uh oh! :o

Finally I realize I'm down to about 30 yds on the reel and apply the thumb drag. He is either going to wear himself out or break me off, but either way I'm not going to get spooled without a fight. After what seemed an hour but was more likely about five minutes of wrestling I started to slowly get some line back. The guy on the West pier directly across from me pulled his lines and seemed to be enjoying the show. In case he wasn't the fish now decided to visit him and put on an air show. Finally after a couple of more short runs I get him up top and realize...I'm 5 ft above him, no one is within ear shot, the net is behind me and with the handle not extended, my boat net only has a 5' handle. This is still going to be interesting.

I glance at the line and realize he is ready to pop his head up and say hello and manage to reach the net and extend the handle while juggling the rod. I get a look at him and he is a good size fish. At this point, the choice became either to try a quick hunched over one handed sweep hoping I get the fish, don't drop the net or pole, and don't end up head first in the drink...or I hope he is as tired as I am and try to walk him like a beagle down to the base of the pier where I can see a few guys fishing. I chose B. We went for a walk.

"Umm...hi guys, got a net?"

"Nope, try the next guys down"

We keep walking.

"Umm, hi, care to help me with a problem?"

"You got a fish?!?!?!?"

"Yeah, mind bagging him for me?"

Well, 40 minutes later I was the proud owner of one grade A tired 27# king. After a quick night pic which I'll post tomorrow, I thanked him for everything, climbed down a ladder with him and administered some fishy CPR. He went down, I went up so I'll call it win win.

One other fish was caught on the East pier about 15 minutes later, then it got quiet. I packed it in at 3. So 3 fish all basically between 12:15 and 1:45, all on egg sacs seemed to be the activity down there, at least between 9:30 and 3.

First thought driving home:

"Hey, that night pier thing is kind of cool"

Second thought:

"Maybe I should get a heavier spinning setup"

Third thought:

"Grabbing a mature king on lighter gear is an absolute trip, no way I'm getting heavier gear...but I sure would like to see what a 35'er would feel like" :clap:

I'll be back Friday night.

Let's see - landing a king over 25# on your first pier fishing outing, and on medium/light tackle no less - quite an accomplishment, and quite a story. Well written, too.

I would recommend stepping up a little in tackle, though. This will bother fellow anglers less on your next hookup and in other seasons when C and R of healthier fish is more important it would help in this effort (land the fish sooner).

MarkG