This Old Motor-any ideas?

laker taker

Hello all,

Looking for a little help. Wonder if anyone has ever experienced anything like this before? I have a 1994 honda 9.9 four stroke which runs fantastic.... except sometimes, I think will begin to run on one of the two cylinders while trolling. This is after the motor has run wide open and trolled for 2-4-6-8 hours. Or at start up... sometimes... if I don't allow it to run for about 30secs with the choke out, before pushing in the choke and putting it in gear. When this happens the motor runs real rough and makes a bang, bang, bang noise. This usually fixes itself by putting it in neutral and turning the throutle up, and will run great after. Any ideas? :idea: I put new plugs, fuel filter, oil and lower unit lube every year (less than a month ago).

Fuel Line? Carb adjustment? Starving for fuel?

Thanks in advance

Chuck

Chuck - I honestly don't know but where I'd start is to pull the plugs immediately after it "bangs" and examine them for clues. If starving, 1 would be dry. If there's "crap" in there, some would be overly wet or "crapped" up.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Chuck - Ever do it on the way back to the launch? At dockside? Only means you'd have to stop trolling for a few minutes. :idea: You could throw a couple jigs on. :) When you put it in neutral & goose it, does it blow a lot of smoke? If so, you're getting oil in the cylinder somehow and it has to clear out &/or blow-by. Also are you using fresh gas? Sometimes a "splash" of water from condensation gets into the engine & they run like "crap", but generally clear when rev'd in neutral until the next "splash" gets pumped in. (Plug check really would tell you a lot.)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom,

Thanks!! Great idea's especially the jigs! I never would have thought of that one. When it clears it doesnt blow smoke, however, the exhaust smells very rich... Oil? You have me thinking here.. The gas is always fresh with a 2 and 1/2 gallon tank I run 6-8 hours on half a tank and then filler up again, high test only. All new gas one month ago.

Chuck