SBH 3-7-10

Tim Bromund

Took my first and likley, ONLY, ice fishing trip this year down to the Buffalo Small Boat Harbor on sunday. Better class of perch than I am used to seeing in the SBH. Fished from 6:30 till 12:30 and ended up keeping 21 perch between 7 and 10 inches out of 45-50 caught. FWIW, there is approx 16" of good hard clear ice in the harbor.

kgXNJ.jpg

bigger emerald shiners were the ticket. Tried perch eyes for a while and all I got on em was dinks.

somewhat disturbing this year has been the lack of Northern Pike. Usually see a lot of em through the ice this time of year right up till the March 15 closer, but very few to be seen this year. My buddy I fished with was also out there on saturday and between saturday and sunday we had ZERO flags go on the tip ups. he has bee out there reguarlyu and has seen very few this year. I am wondering if the VHS hasn't knocked the Pike population down like it did the Muskie population in the Buffalo Harbor and Upper Niagara River.

Tim

Tim,

I know it's not NY waters but we are seeing ALOT more musky and pike down here in Ohio waters of Erie for whatever that's worth, more and more guys are catching Musky by accident walleye trolling we're seeing a population increase. I'm going to fish for Pike after ice out in our harbors and bays and leave the spawning walleye alone for once. I hope I'm surprised I know they are out there but nobody fishes for them. Going to give Musky trolling a whirl around the island and a couple other areas as well.