Great Story - Hunts for Healing info

Just read this on my father's latest newsletter and thought is was worth sharing.

Hunts for Healing

There have been many special charter fishing trips aboard the Fish Doctor on Lake Ontario since 1982 when Carol and I earned our U.S. Coast Guard license and started charter fishing on the big lake, but none more special than a recent trip on June 18. That was the day when four courageous young warriors, wounded in battle in Iraq and Afghanistan fished with us as part of the “Hunts for Healing†http://www.huntsforhealing.com program. These four young men, age 21 to 25 were accompanied by two Hunts for Healing volunteers who mentored the fishing trip on June 18th..

These four warriors were a team, and they were with us to fish, and fish we did. Chris, had been in special ops in Irag, was captured and tortured, but survived. One of the Hunts for Healing mentors told me he had not been “out†in three years. Stoic, unsmiling, he had one tattoo, a small tear below the corner of his left eye. A 7 lb . rainbow, put a hint of a smile on his face. When you’re battling a nice trout, it’s hard to think about anything else.

Derrick, out of the hospital for only four months, was only 21 and without doubt one of the toughest human beings I have ever met, missing a leg from a bomb, riddled with wounds, 129 operations later, a comrade named Jim, almost killed by a bomb, held him upright while he battled a nice lake trout. Derrick had been unable to sleep for more than an hour since leaving the hospital. After landing a lake trout, Derrick curled up on a bunk on the Fish Doctor and slept for 3 hours.

Then there was 23-year old Josh, handsome, quiet, walking on someone else’s foot, but never complaining, even though he had recently lost his best pal, a golden retriever. Josh left us with the memory of boating a 7 lb. brown and an 8-week old golden puppy on his lap, compliments of Adirondac Goldens.

These courageous Americans had never met before the fishing trip, but the comradery that was so evident during their stay was cemented by experiences on the battle field and after. The bond among them only they could understand. I heard not a single whine or complaint the entire trip. The opportunity for Fish Doctor Charters to host their trip was a privilege and a gratifying experience.

Hats off to Hunts for Healing , the dedicated volunteers who make the nonprofit organization work, and the companies and folks who donate dollars to the program. Hunts for Healing offers selfless heroes a stepping stone through hunting and fishing to aid in the transition from intensive care units back to the outstretched arms of friends and loved ones.

If you would like to sponsor a “Hunts for Healing†event or warrior, as we did go to http://www.huntsforhealing.org/sponsorship

(Click to enlarge)

What a wonderful story .

God works in strange way is our lives , He has a plan not to figure but to follow.

Did the Capt.who named his boat "FISH DOCTOR" many years ago plan that the name might have been just that?

It sounds like a master plan just came togeather as your crew on the "FISH DOCTOR" did a much needed healing to these HEROS ,that any medical doctor could not do.

Thank you for all involved with this project for our HEROS , and like the small mustard seed may your deed grow into a field of oppertunity for us all to experiance..

Thank You

Ray K.