Calibrating Moore Sub Troll

Saw a post or two about this. How is it done? I don't have a paddle wheel just 2 lowrance GPS units on my boat.

Seems like my GPS speed is always within .2 of my Sub Troll no matter what but based on how much I have to crank up my kicker to troll into the waves/current (say going west or into the waves when i know I'm facing current) or with them to maintain current speed and watching the bend in my divers and angle in my rigger cables I have a feeling more current exists. I did purchase the head unit from someone else, it very well could be possible the guy who had it prior to me calibrated it to a lowrance GPS so therefore it reads around the same so I am getting consistant readings.

Any help on calibration would be appreciated. thanks guys.

Kevin,

I went through this with my speed and temp units. If your SOG on your GPS says your speed is 2.5 and your SNT says your speed at the ball is 2.8 and your catching fish then thats the speed you want to maintain. The threads on this site will tell you your speed can be due to boat size, currents, wind direction, type of unit and a number of other factures. Run your unit based on your success. I run my SOG between 2.3 and 2.8 which gives ball speed between 2.5 - 3.1 and that works for me.

Good luck buddy, hope to see ya in Olcott in September.

Howie

Thanks and that's what I figured. And I do what works for me and my boat and as you know I don't have a problem putting slime in the boat.

I'll be up there weekend after labor day fishing Friday, Saturday, sunday. Hopefully the inside bite for big guys and gals is set up just right!